St Mirren v Dumbarton 8th April 2017

Carswell is a rotten footballer, no pace, no vision and only passed sideways...still better than Hutton but would be lucky to get a game down the park...

No doubt you're the sort of guy who thought Barry Ferguson was a waste of a jersey as well for Scotland.

Carswell is nothing fancy, but he's a player who does a very difficult job that looks simple. I've a lot of time for players like that, and they're usually a nightmare to find - especially for clubs like ourselves.

Couldn't care less about pace or 30 defence splitters. Short, simple passes and retention of possession will do me just fine.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt you're the sort of guy who thought Barry Ferguson was a waste of a jersey as well for Scotland.

Carswell is nothing fancy, but he's a player who does a very difficult job that looks simple. I've a lot of time for players like that, and they're usually a nightmare to find - especially for clubs like ourselves.

Couldn't care less about pace or 30 defence splitters. Short, simple passes and retention of possession will do me just fine.

He was on a hiding to nothing at St Mirren as Murray tried to use him to replace Goodwin who will always carry hero status with us.

He then played him Goodwin and Agnew in the same team and all three were falling over each other and playing Mallan out of position to do so.

I don't think he was as bad as a lot of fans made out.

36 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Nobody, absolutely nobody was disappointed to see him go in the summer. Rightly binned.

Agreed. There's not a moment where even in our depths of ineptitude did I ever think 'this team really needs a Stewart Carswell'. 

He may be doing well for Dumbarton but he didn't even quietly break play up for us. He was an anonymous passenger who loved to point at where others should be whilst being woefully out of position. 

Carswell and Agnew, neither are the worst St. Mirren player ever, but they certainly rival some of the dross of 2002-2003 (Dow and Twaddle anyone?) as one of the most depressingly awful midfield pairings. 

How Carswell done at St Mirren is irrelevant. He's been superb for us, and on current form could find himself a club better placed than St Mirren are.

Over the last few years there has been a high number of decent players who have struggled for form after arriving in Paisley. Carswell certainly isn't alone in that respect.

4 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Precisely. In no way is he as effective as Carswell, but he is a decent player to have in our squad. Especially if a player like Josh Todd moves in the opposite direction.

Erm, I think it's a low scoring draw as to who's done best out of the Gallagher/Todd swap, so far (which I've no doubt jinxed for Saturday's game) :shutup. Carswell on the other hand has obviously found a niche and, I suspect, his level.

As I said about a month ago this is the time of the season where talent/form take a back seat and (adopt a gruff voice) character comes to the fore.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Erm, I think it's a low scoring draw as to who's done best out of the Gallagher/Todd swap, so far (which I've no doubt jinxed for Saturday's game) :shutup. Carswell on the other hand has obviously found a niche and, I suspect, his level.

As I said about a month ago this is the time of the season where talent/form take a back seat and (adopt a gruff voice) character comes to the fore.

Assists for their new club:

Calum Gallagher - 1

Josh Todd - 0

So aye, like someone else said, please fire all your duds our way

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Calum Gallagher - 1

Josh Todd - 0

Todd set up the 6th (six) on Saturday. Beat a man and crossed it in for Sutton to head off the post and Smith tapped it in so probably technicaly the assist went to Sutton though. He's not had much gametime as he's came in as we started playing well but JR has brought him off the bench quite a few times so seems to rate him.

4 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Todd set up the 6th (six) on Saturday. Beat a man and crossed it in for Sutton to head off the post and Smith tapped it in so probably technicaly the assist went to Sutton though. He's not had much gametime as he's came in as we started playing well but JR has brought him off the bench quite a few times so seems to rate him.

I deal in facts 8)

Also brackets for more than 6 goals only. Eg St Mirren 7 (SEVEN) Opponents 0. I believe it's a points deduction for the incorrect use of them, which is handy.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I deal in facts 8)

Also brackets for more than 6 goals only. Eg St Mirren 7 (SEVEN) Opponents 0. I believe it's a points deduction for the incorrect use of them, which is handy.

Not sure I'll ever get to use brackets if that's the case :rolleyes:

Don't think anyone is arguing that Carswell wasn't shite for St Mirren, just that he works well in our team. Agnew was a star in our team when we finished 5th in this division and it didn't work for him at St Mirren. Paul McGinn was a hero for us but couldn't get a game at St Mirren. Nade goes to Stranraer and looks finished, comes back to us and looks like he did when he left. Scott Chaplain bossed games for Albion Rovers, we signed him and he was useless. I could go on. Expectations are different, pressure is different, managers are different, squads are different. Sometimes it fits a player and sometimes it doesn't, it doesn't have to be as black and white as some fans like to paint.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Don't think anyone is arguing that Carswell wasn't shite for St Mirren, just that he works well in our team. Agnew was a star in our team when we finished 5th in this division and it didn't work for him at St Mirren. Paul McGinn was a hero for us but couldn't get a game at St Mirren. Nade goes to Stranraer and looks finished, comes back to us and looks like he did when he left. Scott Chaplain bossed games for Albion Rovers, we signed him and he was useless. I could go on. Expectations are different, pressure is different, managers are different, squads are different. Sometimes it fits a player and sometimes it doesn't, it doesn't have to be as black and white as some fans like to paint.

2WcbuX8NPlAN.gif

54 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Calum Gallagher - 1

Josh Todd - 0

As Irvine_buddie points out assists are subjective - and that is a fact. :P

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The same level he was at whilst with St Mirren?

Bottom half of the Championship yeah, but we're aiming higher :bag. I was answering your point that he'd find a "club better placed than St Mirren" and altho' you're currently above us in the division I don't think a team where Carswell is a regular starter will ever be much higher than where Dumbarton are now.

Plenty of players are shit at one club and great at another. Carswell was just shit with us. Under Rae he was all that we had so got a game. Glad that he is playing competitive football somewhere.

Archived