St Mirren v Dumbarton 8th April 2017

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Our officials are good at spotting wrong 'uns.

:lol:

Genuinely, if I had done anything that deserved removal I'd own up to it now. The fact we were allowed back into hospitality after the game shows that we weren't out of order.

Sounds like it was your table that dobbed you in Moonster

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

:lol:

Genuinely, if I had done anything that deserved removal I'd own up to it now. The fact we were allowed back into hospitality after the game shows that we weren't out of order.

I don't dislike St Mirren and would like to say them stay up but my god, the supporters are an angry bunch. Not so much on here to be fair, you only really notice it when you attend a game.

I've never witnessed such booing or seethe at such minimal incidents throughout a match. Semi understandable given their precarious position but it sounds even worse in the highlights.

Chill oot boays, what will be will be. We don't want any heart attacks or Peter Houston esque red faces.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't dislike St Mirren and would like to say them stay up but my god, the supporters are an angry bunch. Not so much on here to be fair, you only really notice it when you attend a game.

I've never witnessed such booing or seethe at such minimal incidents throughout a match. Semi understandable given their precarious position but it sounds even worse in the highlights.

Chill oot boays, what will be will be. We don't want any heart attacks or Peter Houston esque red faces.

I thought the same watching the highlights back. The amount of seethe at completely nothing incidents is ridiculous. Thommo going up to challenge and they are claiming elbows were thrown.

I'm even more glad wee Lewis seems to have wound quite a few of them up now.

I thought the same watching the highlights back. The amount of seethe at completely nothing incidents is ridiculous. Thommo going up to challenge and they are claiming elbows were thrown.
I'm even more glad wee Lewis seems to have wound quite a few of them up now.

Thoroughly enjoy a player giving a bit to the supporters. Even when it's the other way around and we're on the receiving end.

From the home end Vaughan was gettin a bit of stick for being shite after a few misplaced passes. Good to see him giving the big un when he scored. Shame he chose the family section but f**k it, their apprentice seethers anyway.

17 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

After that performance I'd rather see Ayr stay up - even with McCall as manager - than Dumbarton.

What was the goal celebration taunting the kids for? Not as if he or any other Dumbarton player was being given a hard time beforehand.

Same player I think then tries to mess up the penalty spot before it's taken. That, plus the long long protests***, then the announcer accidentally playing the goal music before the kick always meant Loy was going to miss.

Then after Stelios picks up a booking you could see they were targeting him for a second yellow.

Don't remember Dumbarton being particularly bad on the gamesmanship front in the past.

*** just to highlight how appalling the ref was, even after probably a 2 minute delay for the penalty, length delay after Dumbarton's goal, and Dumbarton time wasting throughout the half - he manages to stop for HT with 44:40 showing on the clock.

If you can't get the simple stuff right...

I wouldn't read too much into Vaughan going to that corner of the stand behind the goal. He scored from that side. Nothing more than that. If your on about our gamesmanship. That's being professional, Dumbarton have suffered from that sort of behaviour against us in the past. Good to see us giving it back. Unprofessional is your PA system. If you can't get the simple stuff right...

14 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

Yip I was laughing too.

one other point about the refereeing .

why is David smith allowed to steal however many yards he wants at every throw in.if that was against us I'd be raging 

Because Ian Durrant was the stand side linesman yesterday. Telling the ref all the time where the ball went out ha ha

I think a draw was about a fair result yesterday. We were poor in the first half I thought but we improved a lot in the second. It's all about opinions and that's what makes it all interesting, but it's never a penalty. There's grappling at worst, but it's from both players and McGinn loses control of the ball and goes down very, very easily. If that was a penalty (which it shouldn't have been) then I cannot see how he doesn't give the one on Vaughan in the second half. I don't think it's a penalty either, but it's more one than the one that was awarded. Baffling stuff.

Aldo made the save from the penalty, woeful as the strike was, made even more delicious given the playing of the goal music just before the penalty was taken. Vaughan booked for presumably dissent, rightfully arguing about the award, that's fair enough. Harvie booked on the say so of the penalty taker is amateur Sunday league stuff. Firstly booking someone from what an opposing player said and allowing yourself to be influenced by said opposing player, utterly embarrassing.

1-1 was fair going in at half time, a good strike from Magennis, albeit Harvie does the only thing he shouldn't do, show Magennis inside. Vaughan's goal was a great strike, looks even better in the highlights. And who cares about 'ear-cupping'? Really? If folk are incensed or annoyed at that, then I'd suggest they're maybe a bit fragile and precious.

In the second half we improved massively and defended very solidly, Gregor Buchanan in particular was a colossus. Both sides had chances to win it but I think a draw was a fair result in the end, albeit it suits us much, much more than St. Mirren.

Again it's all about opinions, but people are kidding themselves if they don't think Eckersley should've been sent off. His first one he's late and it's a silly method of trying to win the ball. Nothing malicious or dangerous, but a foul that's a booking all day long. And when on a booking, lunging at a winger when he's going by you is also a booking every day of the week. A definite sending-off and one of the very few decisions he got right all day.

A good point for us, and Ayr and Raith both losing was very welcome, that's another point towards safety. Good performance from Stevie and the players, particularly in the second half.

I too thought they were pretty angry. And I couldn't understand why, particularly in the first half. Almost all of the decisions went their way, including the very (at best) dubious penalty decision. David Smith taking yards at every throw in (again missed by the embarrassingly awful officials) drew some levels of seethe I've not witnessed in a while.

The magnitude of the game maybe contributed but given how many decisions went St. Mirren's way, I found it baffling how angry they seemed to be at almost every turn.

[emoji38]

It definitely doesn't sound right and you'd be justified in seeking an explanation from the club as someone suggested above.

18 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I too thought they were pretty angry. And I couldn't understand why, particularly in the first half. Almost all of the decisions went their way, including the very (at best) dubious penalty decision. David Smith taking yards at every throw in (again missed by the embarrassingly awful officials) drew some levels of seethe I've not witnessed in a while.

The magnitude of the game maybe contributed but given how many decisions went St. Mirren's way, I found it baffling how angry they seemed to be at almost every turn.

Saints weren't awarded a foul until the 37th minute in the first half. So that seems a rather strange statement.

As many Dumbarton fans have said, Sons were given loads of free kicks in the first half - from which they launched the ball in to a packed box.

Your fans take is that Saints players (McGinn and Mallan) were fouling regularly and should have been picked up for it, the reason Saints fans were angry was that so many of those fouls seemed super soft.

McGinn very rarely shows any dissent when he's committed a foul, but on several occasions yesterday he clearly was furious about decisions given against him.

As for the penalty spot booking, I doubt even that referee would book someone because of the word of an opponent.  In the same way as he didn't need to go and speak to the stand side linesman when he had a word with one of our backroom team, I assume the linesman told him what had happened.

Ref was not responsible for the result, but he really should not have been refereeing such an important match.

16 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I routinely boo referees even when I know they've got it right in the hope that they'll be tempted to give us a marginal decision later on in the game.

I'm still certain that is a penalty. From where I was Barr had hands round him and pulled him back. He's experienced enough to know someone is going down when they feel that amount of contact. We were lucky not to give one away just before that when there was a clear shirt pull right infront of the ref. 

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

When the highlights pan to the Sons fans after the penalty miss, there's my brother, right in the centre, flicking the Vs at the St Mirren fans. :lol:

Your family is well-known for being utterly classless.:P.

A single finger gets the message over better.

St. Mirren have been playing really good football of late and it is enjoyable.  It's enjoyable playing football teams like United and hibs and winning and even when we lose fair enough. Saints didn't play yesterday but Dumbarton didn't let them. Fair play they got what they came for. It is clear though that they are a horrible team to watch and I am certain that regardless of what happens this year relegation or not st.mirren will always at least try and pass the ball and produce young players such as kenny maclean, John mcginn, Lewis Morgan and stevie Mallan. Dumbarton will return to league 1 where they belong amongst the other hammer throwers of Scottish football.  

St. Mirren have been playing really good football of late and it is enjoyable.  It's enjoyable playing football teams like United and hibs and winning and even when we lose fair enough. Saints didn't play yesterday but Dumbarton didn't let them. Fair play they got what they came for. It is clear though that they are a horrible team to watch and I am certain that regardless of what happens this year relegation or not st.mirren will always at least try and pass the ball and produce young players such as kenny maclean, John mcginn, Lewis Morgan and stevie Mallan. Dumbarton will return to league 1 where they belong amongst the other hammer throwers of Scottish football.  

Were a horrible team to watch? Who's been rooted to the bottom of the league for the past 6 months? I'm sure in that time though you played slick free flowing football!

I'm sure there was nearly a compliment in there somewhere [emoji16]

6 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

qDyemsO (1).gif

Archived