St Mirren v Dumbarton 8th April 2017

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said a few weeks back when we drew 2-2 at The Rock that we gained a point that day, as St Mirren bore utterly no resemblance to the team of the previous 18 months or so.  It's hardly a surprise therefore that they have been on the march recently, fair play to them.

All I ask is that we compete from the first whistle, and every player gives their customary 100% effort.  As far as I'm aware this could be the first game for a few weeks in which we'll have a full squad to choose from, and that would be welcome.  Nothing will be settled next Saturday but avoiding defeat could be invaluable from our perspective.

Morgan's presence may be in doubt, but I'd imagine Saints will give him every chance of making it.

We have just beaten the team who were second top and a couple of weeks ago drew with the top team away from home . Therefore why should we fear the bottom team in the league. Hat trick time for Nade. Just make sure that saints goalkeeper remembers to throw the ball sr*****ht to Gary Fleming.

5 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

We have just beaten the team who were second top and a couple of weeks ago drew with the top team away from home . Therefore why should we fear the bottom team in the league. Hat trick time for Nade. Just make sure that saints goalkeeper remembers to throw the ball sr*****ht to Gary Fleming.

Because, quite frankly, although we are still bottom of the league, we're no longer the worst team in the league. Not by a long shot. Had we continued going at the rate we were, we'd certainly have been relegated but 16 points out of 21 since the last time we met suggests we're on a roll. 

Dumbarton have been the monkey on our back since we dropped into the championship and its high time we remedied that to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Well, that won't be happening because Gaz is suspended for this game. :(

Dumbarton have have had some amazing results this season.

No Dumbarton fan should doubt your chances in any game.

St. Mirren will be big favourites for this and quite rightly so. The turnaround since the January transfer window was somewhat expected given the quality they added and on current form they're one of the top sides in the league.

St. Mirren will feel they're due a result against us too. However we have shown we can compete with anyone in the league and if we play well we could take something from this.

I can't make the game as I'll be on holiday in fact I've not missed a game against st. Mirren since 1981.(scottish cup win?) Hopefully that doesn't jinx us as there's been a few wins in there for us. Although I did see the 0-7 In 2009 as well.

Your 2nd sentence there MrLintonsTowel, we went to Ayr last week full of expectation and crumbled badly. So let's hope we are completely written off by everyone going into this one given The Buddies' upsurge in form.

Always expect the unexpected following The Sons

In all honestly, the ideal scenario would be for St Mirren and Dumbarton to be 7th and 8th by the season's end and both escape, paving the way for Ayr and Raith to occupy those bottom two slots. Dumbarton are always good for an upset win from nowhere and they're exceptionally well run.  

However, it could well be an us or you scenario and with Goal Difference now looking more and more like it might be a deciding factor and only 3 separating us, a repeat of yesterday's performance and result would effectively be a bonus point if it came down to both of us. 

Just like the Ayr game last week, I have absolutely no idea what will happen in this game. St Mirren will understandably be favourites, but we have had some pretty impressive results when everyone least expected them this year. Last week we didn't know how the game would pan out because we are pretty inconsistent this season. Probably our poorest performances have came against Ayr and St Mirren. I just hope that the result doesn't bear any resemblance to the game last weekend against Ayr.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

Just like the Ayr game last week, I have absolutely no idea what will happen in this game. St Mirren will understandably be favourites, but we have had some pretty impressive results when everyone least expected them this year. Last week we didn't know how the game would pan out because we are pretty inconsistent this season. Probably our poorest performances have came against Ayr and St Mirren. I just hope that the result doesn't bear any resemblance to the game last weekend against Ayr.

That the 2-2 game? The inability of ourselves to see that out, along with Langfield throwing one directly to Fleming earlier in the season...those 3 points dropped over two games against a direct rival could well define our season in the end.

That's a 6 point swing in those two games right there.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

That the 2-2 game? The inability of ourselves to see that out, along with Langfield throwing one directly to Fleming earlier in the season...those 3 points dropped over two games against a direct rival could well define our season in the end.

He actually threw it to Joe Thomson, who then squared it for Fleming to score his customary winner.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Every game vs yourselves and Ayr we have been poor, with the exception of the 2-2 with Ayr at home where we were in complete control and still managed to f**k it up. I guess you could add Dunfermline into the same bracket. Haven't played well against them this season either.

Yet we have beaten Dundee Utd, Morton, Falkirk and drawn with Hibs (one of our best performances came in a narrow defeat at home to Hibs). That's not taking into account the other 2 teams who we have been decent enough against at some point throughout the season.

Archived