Dundee Utd v Falkirk

Guest Back Post Misses

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it was up to me regarding the right winger position. I'd start with craigen over aird. Craigen gives us a better set piece option for the majority of the game. I'd bring Aird on for the last 20 minutes and use his pace to beat his man and get crosses into the box. Craigen isn't very quick and bringing him on for the last 20 isn't as effective as Aird coming on.

100% agree with this.

13 hours ago, distresseduke said:

united will be in this league next year guaranteed...& yes they are bigger than us but not ridiicoulisy so...they get maybe 1500 more at a home game ...we should be going for them

Novelty fans for now

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

We were deep in a mire of utterly turgid football when we last came to yours. Not saying we will definitely win I expect a tough match but you can expect to see something like the team that won at TFS last time rather than the Kerr/Rankin monstrosity that was our midfield then.

The failed formation to squeeze a game out of Craigen, successful once away to Ayr, where we hammered them 1-0

36 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

If it was up to me regarding the right winger position. I'd start with craigen over aird. Craigen gives us a better set piece option for the majority of the game. I'd bring Aird on for the last 20 minutes and use his pace to beat his man and get crosses into the box. Craigen isn't very quick and bringing him on for the last 20 isn't as effective as Aird coming on.

So he wasnt effective yesterday ? The same role he has performed throughout the season, coming of the bench 13 times and perhaps looking alright and then starting one of 9 league games and only getting 90 mins 4 times, to me suggests he is likely to be subbed for not being effective.

We have enough slow midfielders in there already not to add to it with Craigen, more so with us probably keeping it tight and attack quickly, slowing the game down if the ball goes centre or right wont be as effective.

The home form for UTD must be the only thing that is keeping McKinnon in a job or they have no cash to get rid. I watched the highlights v Ayr Utd and they didnt look to clever in that game. If we can force the game to them, get the crowd against them, then I see no reason why we cant get 3pts, Grant will have an easier day than he did yesterday with Utds piss poor forwards, its the midfield that does concerns me with Utds fancy dan formation and overload the midfield but I see no reason why we cant repeat the scoreline of the game below, especially if we go Miller and Austin up top

Screenshot 2017-04-02 at 13.14.04.png

Season defining game for us IMO.  I will not venture any prediction as it is impossible to determine whether we will be:
1.  Poor but lucky.
2.  Shite but lucky.
3.  Shite.

Agree, with the caveat all three end in defeat. Lucky meaning, by a few goals.

Our average level of performance this season is reflected by current league position and should be considered 'lucky'. Our worst squad in years.

Falkirk showed in the last game they can contain and dominate our midfield, so unless our options have changed for the better, I'd settle for a draw from this one.

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

United fans what's the usual away pricing for an adult and kids? Not been to tannadice since sturrock took a falkirk free kick for us and rounded our keeper to score. Ended up 3-0 I think

£20 for adults and £10 for kids. You will be in The Shed as we have decided this season that is where away fans sit (I think it costs less money to open that compared to the Fair Play Stand).

Sorry not having this argument that Aird doesn't beat his man to the byline as an argument to consider Craigen. Craigens only tactic to get by his man is to slow down, try and tackle the ball past the man whilst trying to cuddle the player out his way. 
Dont get me wrong Craigen has improved on earlier season form, but for me he's still 4th or 5th choice in his 'preferred' CM position and only gets any game time at RM cause we've only Scott Shepherd to play there after Aird.
I wouldn't be at all sad to see us use Craigens wages elsewhere next term.

I wasn't trying to say that because Aird hasn't (IMO) done much in terms of beating his man and getting to the by line that we should consider Craigen to fill that void. I was suggesting that Airds place as a nailed on starter ahead of Craigen shouldn't be quite so nailed on. We need both to do much more.

I won't mention that both are yet more signings from Houston that have been far from convincing. [emoji847]

51 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

I wasn't trying to say that because Aird hasn't (IMO) done much in terms of beating his man and getting to the by line that we should consider Craigen to fill that void. I was suggesting that Airds place as a nailed on starter ahead of Craigen shouldn't be quite so nailed on. We need both to do much more.

I won't mention that both are yet more signings from Houston that have been far from convincing. emoji847.png

Except you did! 

Btw Sorry but need to disagree with you here. Aird is our only naturally right sided player outside Shepherd. He should therefore be a starter ahead of a CM in the RM position. 

Except you did! 
Btw Sorry but need to disagree with you here. Aird is our only naturally right sided player outside Shepherd. He should therefore be a starter ahead of a CM in the RM position. 

Did I? Silly me!

I'm not sure we disagree and certainly no need to be sorry. I think he should start but I was disputing as an earlier post suggested that he is 'miles' ahead of Craigen. I don't think he is 'miles' ahead, in that position he should be.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Does anyone disagree that we looked better when Craigen replaced Aird on Saturday?

No I don't disagree. I'm not certain however that this was down to Craigen, and that's what you're referring to?

Teams have better and worse spells when no subs happen - him coming on doesn't necessarily make the positive change. Based on what he actually delivered on the pitch I would say he was about the same as Aird. neither were really good enough.

Anyone who saw aird destroy Lee Wallace at Easter road can see he's the better option wide right. Houston needs to encourage him constantly to take his man on like he did that night. Du' s options at left back are pretty miserable so we definitely should go with pace.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I felt he put more quality into the box in a shorter time. I like Aird and I am choking for him to turn out to be what we need, but as others have said, he looks his best when crossing the pitch. I can't think of many occasions where he hits the byline on his own side. I think Craigen is actually more likely to pass his man because he links up with others better to pass round his man. I have yet to see much of that from Aird. I like both players, and both have their limitations, but given how Craigen was playing pre injury, I think it's hard on him if he doesn't get a chance when Aird hasn't really seized his.

The best ball in wide all game was Airds last cross in. My mate has a dislike of Aird, tho stating Craigen did more after a one two with Kidd going wrong isn't the best of evidence. The Falkirk way tho, he slated Craigen previously and now is stating he is better option !!!

Miller changed the game for us on Saturday of having someone who could win a header, hold the ball up and make space for himself to score.

I think pace will keep Aird in with it being more useful on Saturday than Craigens lack of pace. Ive always liked the fact that Craigen is very two footed, problem tho he is very one paced and slow in speed of thought, looking for and extra touch or 5 or so seconds. Aird is pretty much two footed also and I think we have yet to see the recent Canada game from him in navy blue, hopefully on Saturday

Aird is a clever player and knows that getting to the byeline every time and whipping in crosses for wee strikers isn't going to work. That's why he cut inside regularly at tried to fun run at the Raith defence.

Craigen came on and had the opportunity to get the ball in the box to the big man.

Archived