Forgotten derbies?

jimbaxters

Shame to see the two big Ayrshire derbies, Cumnock v Talbot and Kilbirnie v Beith, going relatively unnoticed. 

Little or no mention of them in this forum.

I hope Talbot can keep the heat on at the top of the league with 3 points and Kilbirnie edge closer to survival with a win.

Has the decline of the local derby been caused to a degree by the Super Leagues? 

I like the current set up very much but a lot of Ayrshire-based fans in particular seem to harbour ongoing reservations about the travel, and maybe a part of that is not getting to play local rivals so often, or the derby games being rendered less significant. 

Personally I think football has moved on so much from the 70's & 80's heyday of these derbies that it would no longer matter what you did with the leagues or cups.  You simply can't have a derby match worthy of the name unless both sides want to win it more than other games, and with Talbot or any team going for a couple of trophies you get the impression it's no more or less important than the last 3 points they played for. 

Would love to see one of the traditional east or west derbies as a Junior Cup Final at a good local location to see what sort of crowds and passion it would bring. 

The over policing & negative press coverage along with the clubs getting hammmered by the beeks has caused a demise in our Derby with Beith
Assume it's the same down the road . Used to head to Beith for opening time & drink in the boozers then grab a carry out on the way down . Meet our mates from Beith & exchange pleasantries then spend 90 minutes hating each other . You just can't do that anymore without falling foul of the law .
That in my humble opinion is the issue

20 minutes ago, fan of the juniors said:

The over policing & negative press coverage along with the clubs getting hammmered by the beeks has caused a demise in our Derby with Beith
Assume it's the same down the road . Used to head to Beith for opening time & drink in the boozers then grab a carry out on the way down . Meet our mates from Beith & exchange pleasantries then spend 90 minutes hating each other . You just can't do that anymore without falling foul of the law .
That in my humble opinion is the issue

I wonder why the police had to get involved!

Acht it's usually polluted by Fanny of the Juniors and Hurtha Beith so folk just can't be bothered putting a thread up

Been friends with hertha and fotj for over 30yrs 2 nice guys who support there teams with a passion wanna give it a rest on every thread it's just getting boring you must live a sad life if that's all you got to contribute to a post that involves your own team

Think its due to less and less local players being involved these days.
Also crowds as a whole seem to be declining and very few younger supporters going along these days.
The increased amount of football on TV and media coverage too with young folk more looking to be like Ronaldo, messi etc rather than say Anson or milliken.
Personally I still love the derby games and prefer jnr football to the seniors.

51 minutes ago, Stillseekfedup said:

Also crowds as a whole seem to be declining and very few younger supporters going along these days.
The increased amount of football on TV and media coverage too with young folk more looking to be like Ronaldo, messi etc rather than say Anson or milliken.

You're painting a smashin' picture of the juniors there pal.

53 minutes ago, Stillseekfedup said:

Difficult to argue with any of that, sadly. 

Central region derbies have dwindled too. Pollok and Arthurlie is still quite a big derby don't get me wrong and it's built up well.

Rob Roy vs Kilsyth Rangers in the 60s was a really big one, both teams were at their heyday of success and there was also a natural "rival" town feeling between the two towns.

I'd say there are more like Petershill and Maryhill or Ashfield and Perthshire has lost its edge (with clubs being 5 mins walks away).

Not sure about Benburb and St Anthony's.

Is this because of teams not being in the same leagues in some cases? Less local players playing for the clubs?

Been friends with hertha and fotj for over 30yrs 2 nice guys who support there teams with a passion wanna give it a rest on every thread it's just getting boring you must live a sad life if that's all you got to contribute to a post that involves your own team

No point even speaking to him mate. I see his quotes demeaning me & Hertha in 1 of his guises now & then when folk like yourself reply . Will he not realise we don't give 2 hoots what he says whether he's using his quantum or Bing alias

5 hours ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Central region derbies have dwindled too. Pollok and Arthurlie is still quite a big derby don't get me wrong and it's built up well.

Rob Roy vs Kilsyth Rangers in the 60s was a really big one, both teams were at their heyday of success and there was also a natural "rival" town feeling between the two towns.

I'd say there are more like Petershill and Maryhill or Ashfield and Perthshire has lost its edge (with clubs being 5 mins walks away).

Not sure about Benburb and St Anthony's.

Is this because of teams not being in the same leagues in some cases? Less local players playing for the clubs?

Think in Glasgow's case depopulation has lot to do with it.

Think in Glasgow's case depopulation has lot to do with it.

Yeah that is a big factor, I think too particularly Glasgow more people would rather go and watch the old firm teams than their local junior club.

Then it throws up a question, are clubs doing enough to advertise their games (especially derbies) to the locals? Obviously there is a bit done on social media but would flyers in local shops help? Maybe a bit of an old fashioned idea.

Went off the topic a bit I apologise

10 minutes ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Yeah that is a big factor, I think too particularly Glasgow more people would rather go and watch the old firm teams than their local junior club.

Then it throws up a question, are clubs doing enough to advertise their games (especially derbies) to the locals? Obviously there is a bit done on social media but would flyers in local shops help? Maybe a bit of an old fashioned idea.

Think it depends on the game. Later stages of the cup any cup would attract more than a run of the mill league game.

But true enough, you do need to reach out to the local community. Btw, total cost for me today at Pollok v Kilwinning Rangers was £14.

£6 Admission 

£2 raffle tickets

£1.50 programme 

£4.50 at some dodgy burger van.

Compare that to £30/40/50 upwards to watch the old firm

No point even speaking to him mate. I see his quotes demeaning me & Hertha in 1 of his guises now & then when folk like yourself reply . Will he not realise we don't give 2 hoots what he says whether he's using his quantum or Bing alias

Great to see you lot biting.

Not many geordies come on here as ladeside fans so I can deduce who this cracker is as well lol.

So I can't see no soothing of the waves in the foreseeable future.

They could try and be learn to be more gracious and respectfull and maybe, but until then you can be friends with them for another 30 years Mr 2010[emoji16]

I'll leave that sink at the door.

TB or is it QL????????????

Johnny's Boswell team v The ginger men sadly is only known in the relms of fantasy.

This derby played out at the merlin park was both spectacular and intense and usually ended with the D.Jays top 11 on the receiving end of a beautiful  and brutal defeat.the ginger men drank thirstily that evening pigging out on red cola and grapefruit cup in the maddy while Johnny was out pubbin / clubbin spinning a few.

On 01/04/2017 at 23:28, Glenconner said:

Think it depends on the game. Later stages of the cup any cup would attract more than a run of the mill league game.

But true enough, you do need to reach out to the local community. Btw, total cost for me today at Pollok v Kilwinning Rangers was £14.

£6 Admission 

£2 raffle tickets

£1.50 programme 

£4.50 at some dodgy burger van.

Compare that to £30/40/50 upwards to watch the old firm

The price aspect only tells part of the story. 

I had a season ticket at Celtic for a spell and you couldn't give the ticket away for nothing if you weren't using it because people - by and large - don't really want to go to a game they have no real interest or excitement about. Since chucking the ST I've also knocked back numerous freebies.  

For that reason the Juniors can't just hope that undercutting the Seniors is ever going to see their crowds increase. Especially when you're trying to lure people conditioned to expect plastic seats and all the other shitey staples of an afternoon at a senior game, 

However, when Pollok took on Talbot in the Scottish earlier in the season plenty of non-Junior fans took an interest and turned up in impressive numbers because they recognised it was a big game between 2 of the best sides and was a good bet for an entertaining afternoon. On the evidence of that day it's criminal that the Scottish Cup isn't planned and promoted as part of a non-league day type of thing, as it's clearly something that still resonates with football fans outwith the Junior regulars and could be a "gateway" to getting people in the habit of going to half a dozen Junior games a season. 

On 01/04/2017 at 23:08, LeeKRR1878 said:

Now you mention the flyers thing I can't think of the last time I saw one in a window anywhere in Glasgow, but it's a good idea. 

Archived