Famous players that played Junior

cloughy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alec Cheyne...reputed to be responsible for the Hampden Roar.....signed for Aberdeen from The Town..

Bobby Russell. ..joined Rangers as a 20 yr old 

I had a wee feature on Bobby Russell today in programme. Had a longer spell than I would have thought at Rangers! Won Scottish Cup with Motherwell in 1990 too,I was just too young to remember but good interesting reading about him.

20 hours ago, Stillseekfedup said:

Craig Patterson

Alex Kennedy

Adam Strachan

Tommy brown

Stuart mauchlen

Derek mccutcheon

Ted McMinn

Craig Bingham

Just off the top of my head

Lol just saw the word famous in the title, perhaps not all famous emoji30.png

Henry smith??????

Quote: Wum Wallace was desperate to play for his boyhood team but at the time the rabs were just about the best team in the country and it never came about for one reason or another so he had to make do with kilsyth

He came to Kilsyth along with his pal, Jim Storrie, both were playing for Kirky team, Kelvinside Thistle, In the late 50's. When they came to us we were a far more successful team than Rob Roy.

Also Frank McGarveys' first junior team was Kilsyth, farmed out by St Mirren to gain Junior experience.

The greatest Celt of all time, Jimmy Quinn, played junior with Smithestone Albion, from very close to what is now Croy.

Pushing it a bit imo Jimmy Quinn greatest Celt of all time though obviously a star in his day.

Point is wum must have have been gutted that he never got the chance to play with his boyhood team [emoji4]

On 31/03/2017 at 19:24, The Bluebells Are Blue said:

Good thread,this. Didn't realise just how many pro's came through from the Juniors!

Aye but the thread's been hijacked. Think the OPs point was which players STARTED in Juniors before finding fame at Senior level?
Not about all the has-beens who took a bob or three in their veteran days with the Juniors.

15 hours ago, rednblack said:

Pushing it a bit imo Jimmy Quinn greatest Celt of all time though obviously a star in his day.

Just ask anyone who saw him play!

Point is wum must have have been gutted that he never got the chance to play with his boyhood team emoji4.png

He probably did have the chance, but decided to come and play for a TOP junior club!

6 hours ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Ah the 50s, we were on Scottish cup number 2 by then. Even back then Kilsyth were playing catch up to the Rabs emoji6.png

Between 1950 and 1959, number of league titles, cups open to both clubs (x/c respective County cups) won by each club.

Rob Roy  8  (inc. 1 Dunbartonshire & 5 Charity cup wins)

Kilsyth    21 (inc. 8 Stirlingshire cup wins)

Playing catch up? I don't think so!

Between 1950 and 1959, number of league titles, cups open to both clubs (x/c respective County cups) won by each club.

Ah but the big cup? [emoji1]

I think in seriousness though both Roy and Kilsyths best periods of success came around the 50s and 60s

Wum told me himself his preference was to play for Rob Roy no matter how good or bad kilsyth were it just didn't work out .

Like nowadays kilsyth have been playing catch up to us for the majority of there history only natural we are the bigger club from the bigger town and have had more famous names play for us just the way it is [emoji4]

13 minutes ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Ah but the big cup? emoji1.png

I think in seriousness though both Roy and Kilsyths best periods of success came around the 50s and 60s

You mean the Coronation cup?  Kilsyth 4  Rob Roy 2

But you are right, although we dominated in the 50's, it was always a great game against the Roy with big crowds and they did what we failed to do in 1962 by getting the Scottish cup and league double. We narrowly missed that one in 1957 losing to Aberdeen reserves, aka Banks of Dee, in the 1957 Scottish cup final 

Archived