Famous players that played Junior

cloughy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hardly famous but reasonably suprising I guess in this day and age for a youngster.   Lifted from website.

Matifadza Zata, on loan to Tayport from Dundee United, will miss the home game v Glenrothes on 23 March as he has been called up for International duty by Zimbabwe. The Zimbabwe FA have called Mati into their International under 23 squad for the African Cup of Nations Under 23 games, away v Mozambique on 22nd March and home v Mozambique in Harare on 26th March.
Mati Zata

On 13/03/2019 at 15:14, superbigal said:

hardly famous but reasonably suprising I guess in this day and age for a youngster.   Lifted from website.

Matifadza Zata, on loan to Tayport from Dundee United, will miss the home game v Glenrothes on 23 March as he has been called up for International duty by Zimbabwe. The Zimbabwe FA have called Mati into their International under 23 squad for the African Cup of Nations Under 23 games, away v Mozambique on 22nd March and home v Mozambique in Harare on 26th March.
Mati Zata

Fantastic! Are some of the Tayport lads going to the match?

On 3/31/2017 at 08:43, stewsy14 said:

Forth Wanderers had Willie Waddell, ex Scotland goalkeeper George Wood.

aye and like you said Rab Douglas, Frank Mulvaney went to Motherwell  Peter Miller-Motherwell    B ig Danny McDougall went to Hamilton before coming back   think Eddie Halford  played in England     i  100% remember Bobby Murdoch being at Kingshill scouing a player when he was the manager of Middlesborough    and if i remember right from the Juniors book   Bailie  who went to Celtic and  a lad who went to Rangers in the late 60s        Danny McGrain Kenny Dalgliesh  and Tommy Burns  Vic Davidson and most  of  Steins young  Celtic players were farmed out to Juniors             

On 3/9/2019 at 08:06, JDBENS said:

Benburb 

Jock(tiger) Shaw 

Ronnie Mckinnon

Alex Ferguson

All played for Rangers

Mike Jackson  Celtic

A few notable players who went senior

Currently have Willie Mclaren  at the club ex Airdrie  

Mike Jackson packed football in and joined the  Police     always rrember that from the back of the Tops football carrdss

On 3/9/2019 at 08:37, Village elder said:

George Connolly quite possibly up there with the best I had the good fortune to see

I saw him play for Sauchie when Forth beat them in the Junior Cuo around 1983   was a few stones heavier and  a hell of a lot whitier in the Barnet but i still got to see him play   

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2019 at 12:14, superbigal said:

Mati Zata

Tayport's Matifadza Zata, on loan from Dundee United, was in the Zimbabwe team which beat Mozambique to reach the finals of the Under 23s African Cup of Nations to be held in South Africa in June. After a 0-0 draw in Maputo last week, two late goals from Mati's team gave the Young Warriors a 2-0 aggregate victory in the National Stadium in Harare this afternoon.

On 3/19/2019 at 08:44, chink said:

aye and like you said Rab Douglas, Frank Mulvaney went to Motherwell  Peter Miller-Motherwell    B ig Danny McDougall went to Hamilton before coming back   think Eddie Halford  played in England     i  100% remember Bobby Murdoch being at Kingshill scouing a player when he was the manager of Middlesborough    and if i remember right from the Juniors book   Bailie  who went to Celtic and  a lad who went to Rangers in the late 60s        Danny McGrain Kenny Dalgliesh  and Tommy Burns  Vic Davidson and most  of  Steins young  Celtic players were farmed out to Juniors             

The lad that went to Rangers - are you talking about Alan Mitchell ?

21 minutes ago, The'FORD said:

Never heard of him!

You'll have heard of Jimmy Quinn, undoubtably the most famous player of all who came from a  junior club, Smithstone Albion, to Celtic in 1900 and stayed with them for his entire senior career of 15 years. Fifth highest Celtic goalscorer of all time, first to score two hatricks against Rangers, it just goes on.  Right up there with Jimmy Johnstone and Kenny Dalgliesh as best ever.

On 10/03/2019 at 08:16, Eednud said:

Apart from Shug Robertson there were a few more ex-Juniors in that Dundee title winning side of 61/62.  Pat Liney - Dalry Thistle, Bobby Cox - Dundee Osborne, Alan Gilzean - Coupar Angus plus Gordon Smith - Montrose Roselea & Dundee North End although about 20 years earlier.

I was recently given a copy of 'In Search of Alan Gilzean' ( shaping up to be a decent read) which gives a mention to the guys above together with Alan Cousin (Alloa YM), George O'Hara (Shettleston),George McGeachie (Falkirk High) and Doug Alexander(Westrigg Bluebell). Good Junior base for a title winning team.

On 3/28/2019 at 17:38, Wishaw Secretary said:

The lad that went to Rangers - are you talking about Alan Mitchell ?

no thats not him   late60s i believe

8 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

What happened to the ‘Best Players in the Juniors’ thread? I only managed to read the last two pages, tell someone they were getting decked and then it was gone!

I scrubbed it cos dafties ruined it and never took it seriously absolutely pathetic off them 

Archived