The Big Kit Thread

With every game between now and the end of the season looking like 90 minutes of pure stress and shat pants, thought I'd offer an escape thread.

Stumbled upon this gem of a website with all clubs' kit designs throughout the years, so pick your favourites.

Ayr United - Still in love with the 1992-93 kit which looks like seagulls have shat all over it, but I'm gonna go for the 2014-15 home kit.

Dumbarton - Thought they couldn't possibly improve on 2014-16, but think this season's actually manages to trump it.

Dundee United - 1987-1988, with 88-89 a close second.

Dunfermline - Quite like 2014-15, but nothing's beating the Landmark shirt from 1994-1996. Some wee hippie arsehole was wearing it at the segregation fence at Somerset last season, excellent kit though. Great decision by the Pars to re-release it as a Retro kit.

Falkirk - These just bring back memories of being horsed at Brockville. This season's takes the prize, but love 1997-98. Have to say, 1996-97 is an abomination.

Greenock Morton - Nothing's beating 1993-95, just outstanding. 2012-2014 just screams 'Garry O'Connor' at me.

Hibernian - 1989-1991 by some distance, and incidentally my favourite shirts of all on here.

Queen of the South - Quite like 1983-84. This season's is nice, and a marked improvement from the previous year. The kits from 1953-1960 are inexcusable.

Raith Rovers - Personal fave is 1985-86.

St Mirren - 1984-1987, even better when Clydeside was the sponsor for the Cup Final. Some brilliant kits over the years.

7 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Our tartan one was a belter, also really liked a couple of the early Puma efforts. Our home kit this season is very decent though. Looking forward to another season of it and a red tartan away kit :wub:

Definite bullet dodged with that minter effort that they originally planned to release

Still don't think we've topped this Umbro one, 1979-83:

dumbarton_1979-1982-nop.gif

The away one is gold with the colours reversed and it is also magnificent, there used to be two of them sitting in the stadium bar and I always admired them. The below is the one that makes us stand out though, iconic for most Sons fans due to the era we played in it (can also still be bought from Topps I believe):

dumbarton_1969-1973-c4n.gif

Pretty much all of our kits since 2012 have been wonderful though, getting away from rancid colours of yellow and shite makers like Surridge has been a stroke of genius. White top with black and gold bands should be something we rarely venture away from, and even then it should only be for something like this:

dumbarton fc 1993

As long as our home kit is white with a gold and black band for the rest of time itself I'll be happy. A glorious colour combination, and something unique to the club.

I actually preferred our 1872 one to the two Joma efforts in terms of design. The gold and black on the shorts was wonderful

009_034__nickydevlin_1363690199_standard

The only downside was that the top was pretty old fashioned. It was baggy, and quite heavy compared with the current stuff. Nowhere near as pleasant to wear, and the sponsor seemed to rub off quite easily in the wash. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the Surridge stuff mind you, even if they did produce this absolute beauty. The sleeves on that made me feel like a wizard :lol:

sonskit.jpg

Big fan of our away kit this season as well, would happily stick with red and black in the future

EAU8EahF.jpg

This has been done to death, but I always enjoy it. Here's a few snaps of my favourite ever Rovers kit. The sponsor being part of the shirt, rather than simply stuck to the front along with the gold stitching just gave it a real classy feel, I still wear mine on occasion.

IMG_1490813185.299672.jpg

IMG_1490813193.612464.jpg

15 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This has been done to death, but I always enjoy it. Here's a few snaps of my favourite ever Rovers kit. The sponsor being part of the shirt, rather than simply stuck to the front along with the gold stitching just gave it a real classy feel, I still wear mine on occasion.

IMG_1490813185.299672.jpg

IMG_1490813193.612464.jpg

That's the strip you wore when you beat us to the 2nd Division Title isn't it? Marvin Andrews etc.

That's the strip you wore when you beat us to the 2nd Division Title isn't it? Marvin Andrews etc.

The very one, aye. Struggling to find any good shots of it during a match which seems strange. Great season that, it was the last one before I started working the majority of Saturday's so I think I only missed three or four games all year. There was a real togetherness between the players, staff and fans, something we've really missed since, barring the odd few months here and there.

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The very one, aye. Struggling to find any good shots of it during a match which seems strange. Great season that, it was the last one before I started working the majority of Saturday's so I think I only missed three or four games all year. There was a real togetherness between the players, staff and fans, something we've really missed since, barring the odd few months here and there.

Image_02_jpg.jpg

Image_03_jpg.jpg

Image_24_jpg.jpg

Image_08_jpg.jpg

Archived