The Legend of Zelda: BREATH OF THE WILD

38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Everyone still loving this? I bought the house last night :) but am mainly concentrating on finding towers, shrines and memories with a few side quests along the way.

Amazing game

ETA - anyone managed to befriend a dog? I've got ones attention, fed it and had a couple of cloud puffs appear but its not led me anywhere

Yes, still loving it 60 hours in.  I'm quite far into it but want to explore the map and find plenty of places that I've missed, before thinking of venturing to the castle.

I've had the same with feeding a dog at the Hateno farm but nothing happened beyond that.  I've tried feeding a horse but it hasn't worked for me. 

Absolutely still loving this. Three divine beasts down, but can't beat the last one - end boss is way too solid.

At moment I'm just wandering around trying to complete side quests, get more shrines etc.

Ditto on the dog - managed to get it's attention and even fed it some meat, it followed me around a bit but I'm not sure what you are meant to do with it. Hasn't led me anywhere, that's for sure...

10 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Absolutely still loving this. Three divine beasts down, but can't beat the last one - end boss is way too solid.

At moment I'm just wandering around trying to complete side quests, get more shrines etc.

Ditto on the dog - managed to get it's attention and even fed it some meat, it followed me around a bit but I'm not sure what you are meant to do with it. Hasn't led me anywhere, that's for sure...

Which beast do you not have? I only have one but Ive just made it to Rito Village so I might take on that one shortly. I think I've found around 30 of the shrines but there are 3 I've found but not completed - two major tests of strength and one moderate test of strength.

I've found all but 3 of the towers, the two to the north east and one small area in the middle at the western edge.

There is a beast in Gerudo desert (south west on map) that is just brick hard compared to the other ones. The others are tough enough but I just can't get past this guy so gonna try again once I have got more hearts.

Yeah I have about 4 shrines that I can't complete and all are 'major test of strengths' it's the fighting that I struggle with in the game. I tend to just bomb arrow the fcuk out any major bad guys.

Shock and bomb arrows are good against the guardians in the tests of strength.  I can't remember if I've finished a major test, probably not, but if I was to try it I would put the following together
* Hearty meal (cooking a big hearty radish without any extras gives a few yellow hearts)
* Mighty meal / elixir (from mighty bananas etc)
* Shock arrows and bomb arrows
* Thunder-element weapon if poss and a guardian weapon.

I've not tried deflecting guardian shots with a shield yet but I imagine that works in these tests.

On the Gerudo boss, I found it the toughest of the three I've done:

Spoiler

I picked up a rubber helm somewhere along the journey that provides electric resistance, probably in a village shop somewhere.  I equipped that and used a lightning/electric resistance meal or elixir.  I also had loads of hearty meals ready to use.

The challenge with the boss IMO is fiddling with the magnesis.  When the electric rods get fired into the ground, pick one up with magnesis asap and aim it in the general direction of the boss.  On the second round of lightning, if the rod is near the boss it will stun the boss, allowing you to strike.

6 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

There is a beast in Gerudo desert (south west on map) that is just brick hard compared to the other ones. The others are tough enough but I just can't get past this guy so gonna try again once I have got more hearts.

Yeah I have about 4 shrines that I can't complete and all are 'major test of strengths' it's the fighting that I struggle with in the game. I tend to just bomb arrow the fcuk out any major bad guys.

Thats good, I was scared you were going to say the Rito one :lol:

I think I mentioned it before but I found the Zora boss quite easy, once I worked out I could just pile in and attack it!

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Shock and bomb arrows are good against the guardians in the tests of strength.  I can't remember if I've finished a major test, probably not, but if I was to try it I would put the following together
* Hearty meal (cooking a big hearty radish without any extras gives a few yellow hearts)
* Mighty meal / elixir (from mighty bananas etc)
* Shock arrows and bomb arrows
* Thunder-element weapon if poss and a guardian weapon.

I've not tried deflecting guardian shots with a shield yet but I imagine that works in these tests.

On the Gerudo boss, I found it the toughest of the three I've done:

Reveal hidden contents

I picked up a rubber helm somewhere along the journey that provides electric resistance, probably in a village shop somewhere.  I equipped that and used a lightning/electric resistance meal or elixir.  I also had loads of hearty meals ready to use.

The challenge with the boss IMO is fiddling with the magnesis.  When the electric rods get fired into the ground, pick one up with magnesis asap and aim it in the general direction of the boss.  On the second round of lightning, if the rod is near the boss it will stun the boss, allowing you to strike.

I have rubber pants :ph34r:

The shrine guardian that I really struggle with is one right on the south coast. It has a huge sword thats difficult to dodge and makes it really hard to get near. When it moves away it starts spinning and then flies towards you at high speed ... then it starts shooting laser bolts at you, not the same tracking laser as normal guardians.

Just really struggle to get close enough to do it any damage. I've just stocked up on bomb arrows, might go and give it another shot later

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

Thats good, I was scared you were going to say the Rito one :lol:

I think I mentioned it before but I found the Zora boss quite easy, once I worked out I could just pile in and attack it!

I have rubber pants :ph34r:

The shrine guardian that I really struggle with is one right on the south coast. It has a huge sword thats difficult to dodge and makes it really hard to get near. When it moves away it starts spinning and then flies towards you at high speed ... then it starts shooting laser bolts at you, not the same tracking laser as normal guardians.

Just really struggle to get close enough to do it any damage. I've just stocked up on bomb arrows, might go and give it another shot later

Managed to defeat that shrine guardian tonight :) Mainly just by using bomb arrows, some food and a few fairies.

How many memories does everyone have? I've still got 4 to get

I've 1 memory, completed 1 divine beast and am concentrating on shrines and towers (not very impressive!). my son has defeated ganon, got all divine beasts and all the memories, he's currently clearing up the few side quests he hasn't done yet. I also bought the dlc to give him a new challenge when it is released but until then thankfully Mario kart is out, although the Mario odyssey game is the one I think looks incredible.

58 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

I've 1 memory, completed 1 divine beast and am concentrating on shrines and towers (not very impressive!). my son has defeated ganon, got all divine beasts and all the memories, he's currently clearing up the few side quests he hasn't done yet. I also bought the dlc to give him a new challenge when it is released but until then thankfully Mario kart is out, although the Mario odyssey game is the one I think looks incredible.

I've now gone past Mr X jnr - I've opened up more of the map, got more shrines and memories and I've clocked up 35 hours to his 30 :) He has two beasts to my one though

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2017 at 22:41, Mr X said:

How many memories does everyone have? I've still got 4 to get

I've not really bothered with memories.  I know the painter guy that ends up at every village/stable gives big hints but I've just accidentally landed on a few memory spots when exploring.

70+ hours, I cba doing every single shrine and I'm still trying to cover the map on foot or horse to see if there are any big surprises unturned.  It's a big map!  Then it's the fourth DB and off to the castle.

7 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I've not really bothered with memories.  I know the painter guy that ends up at every village/stable gives big hints but I've just accidentally landed on a few memory spots when exploring.

70+ hours, I cba doing every single shrine and I'm still trying to cover the map on foot or horse to see if there are any big surprises unturned.  It's a big map!  Then it's the fourth DB and off to the castle.

I love the memories :) Ive got all the ones in the photo album, plus all the towers but only 2 DBs.

Mr X Jnr has completed the main quest, although he's still got loads of towers to get and not done that many shrines!

I finished the main quest last night.  I had a great time with the game, but 80 hours is plenty - I'm not a completionist who needs to see every shrine or memory.

The end game was really quite easy with good equipment and a handful of hearty meals.  The divine beasts were more of challenge. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2017 at 10:12, bunglebonce said:

I finished the main quest last night.  I had a great time with the game, but 80 hours is plenty - I'm not a completionist who needs to see every shrine or memory.

The end game was really quite easy with good equipment and a handful of hearty meals.  The divine beasts were more of challenge. 

I checked for the first time last night and Im at 105 hours gameplay :ph34r: Mr X jnr has finished the main quest, including all the memories, in just over 50 hours

I've only done 3 of the 4 guardians but only because I took a break after the second one and went round finding shrines and upgrading my clothing. Think I've found 80 odd of the 120 shrines - having 3 stamina wheels is the bomb :lol:

Anyone else got the DLC? I've just been round and got the various masks and armour - the korok mask is brilliant!

The travellers pad is pretty useful, although to be honest it would have been a lot more useful earlier in the game when I would have had to travel back to villages etc to cook food or buy supplies in the middle of a fight.

The best bit, by far, is the Heros Path. Seeing where you've been is really useful in spotting places to explore but it will also walk through where you've been since the start of the game (presuming you havent been playing for more than 200 hours) and show you every time you died.

• 3 years later...

Bit of a bump, but the kids got a Switch for xmas and my wife had always said she loved playing Zelda when she was a kid, so I got her this.  She's absolutely obsessed with it.

I've started my own game and I have to say, having never played a Zelda game before, that it's an astonishingly good game.