Westminster stabbing/shooting

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got to be honest I don't know if I'd be able to instantly revive someone if a vehicle ploughed into them. Not saying I'd take a photie of them, but still...

You would at least throw your jacket or something over them though. I would whip out my phone to call for an ambulance, no chance I would ever think about taking a picture.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Making light of grim situations is a positive IMO. We can't go into mourning every time someone somewhere in the world meets a grizzly end. Any normal human will feel sympathy for those involved so there's no need for us to broadcast it as it's as natural as breathing or going for a pish.

Making jokes keeps up our spirits, reminds us life is worth living and it also trivialises the perpetrator and his warped beliefs. 

I remember an episode of Morse where they were at a murder scene and Morse made a light-hearted comment. The victim's husband had a go at him for making jokes while standing over his wife's body. Morse apologised and said it wasn't a joke but they were constantly dealing with such situations and they had to release the pressure somehow.

We humans are a bit ghoulish. Folk used to flock to watch a hanging or witch-burning. I'd be of the old fashioned "put a jacket over them" school of injury aftermath. There are a lot of vacuous individuals out there. Folk standing with their mobiles and tablets filming policemen giving press conferences FFS. 

On a similar note, was watching the news this morning and Al-Jazeera were showing what must be CCTV footage of the person being knocked off the bridge by the car.  Too far away to be described as graphic but even mainstream news agencies are prepared to show the stuff and, presumably, actively go hunting for it.

We humans are a bit ghoulish. Folk used to flock to watch a hanging or witch-burning. I'd be of the old fashioned "put a jacket over them" school of injury aftermath. There are a lot of vacuous individuals out there. Folk standing with their mobiles and tablets filming policemen giving press conferences FFS. 

Having your jacket thrown over the victim would most likely cause immediate recovery & running from the scene.
As in "I wouldn't be seen dead wearing that" [emoji6]

4 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Having your jacket thrown over the victim would most likely cause immediate recovery & running from the scene.
As in "I wouldn't be seen dead wearing that" emoji6.png

Oh it would depend on the jacket. I have my favourite Jaeger mac on today and I'm afraid Mr Bleedy leg would be on his own. 

This discussion about taking photographs as disaster unfolds reminds me of my thoughts as I watched the Hillsborough disaster on TV. I couldn't believe that photographers first instincts was to capture images of the scenes rather than try and help those that were struggling right in front of them. Granted it's their job but to me at the time it just looked so wrong. Bad enough that professional photographers would do this but absolutely sickening that a member of the public would want to film such a thing.

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

This discussion about taking photographs as disaster unfolds reminds me of my thoughts as I watched the Hillsborough disaster on TV. I couldn't believe that photographers first instincts was to capture images of the scenes rather than try and help those that were struggling right in front of them. Granted it's their job but to me at the time it just looked so wrong. Bad enough that professional photographers would do this but absolutely sickening that a member of the public would want to film such a thing.

It's an odd distinction between a professional photographer doing it and a random punter. They're doing the same thing yet one is more socially acceptable. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I know quite a few people who work in the media here and have asked before about where the line is drawn and you intervene, pretty much the golden rule is you don't, as harsh as that may seem your role is to record news and events that's it.

Archived