Quadrangular Tournament 2017

Burnie_man

12 minutes ago, thelangonline said:

Quote taken directly from Camby facebook page

Jesus, how are they assigning venues - throwing darts? 

Give Camby one of the weekend games and give the Bens a couple of games to make up for losing the final to hold at 7pm or whatever when at least somebody might show up...

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't matter where and what time the games will be played, I don't know anybody that I've spoken to who is even slightly interested in going to watch this tournament. I've got Saturday 14th booked in for the grass and hedge's final cut of the year.

These games are for the players benefit,fans aren't really too bothered. Other than seeing 'your guys' do well does anyone actually care? You'd imagine the crowd would be made up of a few casual fans,but in the main,the players family & friends.

A Wednesday at 2pm though... Have the organisers not understood the term, working for a living?

While I can't say I'm heartbroken to be missing out here the idea that nobody would have went even at a more accessible time is a bit presumptuous. Wednesday evening under the lights somewhere would have brought in a few punters I'm sure (I'd have been one of them). Maybe not enough to pack the place but better than what a 2pm ko will pull. 

And at least with some gate money the buffet sausage rolls and hawfs could have been part funded rather than dipping the presumably scarce funds.  It's become a cliche on here to call the folk running the game self serving but they make it incredibly difficult to land at any other conclusion with this sort of pish. 

It doesn't matter where and what time the games will be played, I don't know anybody that I've spoken to who is even slightly interested in going to watch this tournament. I've got Saturday 14th booked in for the grass and hedge's final cut of the year.

Last monthly medal for me.

These games are for the players benefit,fans aren't really too bothered. Other than seeing 'your guys' do well does anyone actually care? You'd imagine the crowd would be made up of a few casual fans,but in the main,the players family & friends.
A Wednesday at 2pm though... Have the organisers not understood the term, working for a living?

Lots of people work weekends as well but I don't see much clamour to have games moved from a Saturday to accommodate them.

The tournament has to be fitted in sometime. Better that then clubs finding excuses to cancel matches on a Saturday because their best players are playing for Scotland.

35 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Lots of people work weekends as well but I don't see much clamour to have games moved from a Saturday to accommodate them.

The tournament has to be fitted in sometime. Better that then clubs finding excuses to cancel matches on a Saturday because their best players are playing for Scotland.

Absolutely, however surely a night game would've been better for all parties. Perhaps the blazers don't want to miss Coronation Street?

And yes, people do work weekends but I think you know what I mean.

Playing games on a Wednesday afternoon eh, it never ceases to amaze me the genius ideas that mob come up with.  If you’re going to have a “prestigious tournament” then surely you play it at a time when people who want to go to the games can attend, or is that too simple?  There’s a number of grounds in the East Region that could have accommodated Wednesday evening games under lights (eg Linlithgow, Bathgate, Blackburn, Broxburn) , but I forgot this is purely a West thing.

Then to play on a Saturday afternoon instead of an early evening kick-off to avoid games being cancelled that day just sums up the whole shambles.

28 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Small snag with that theory - there aren't very many.

How do you know?  if the tournament is worth playing then it's incumbent upon the organisers (in this case the SJFA) to promote it and ensure fixtures are planned to make it convenient for fans to attend.  It's an honour for players to be selected for their country but how pish is it going to be to walk out in front of nobody at a fairly basic (no offence) Junior ground like St.Anthonys on a Wednesday afternoon?

Let's also have it where games are played at venues which normally see a decent support and spread it around a bit.  Linlithgow should have been a stick-on for a midweek match with new lights recently installed, Bathgate as well with its top quality surface and good lights.  Both those venues would attract good crowds even on a Wednesday/Friday night and aren't that far to travel if teams are based in Glasgow.

Wednesday and Friday 19.30 kick-offs, followed by the final matches at 18.00 on the Saturday, maybe even make the final games on the Saturday a double header, ie after the club game eg Renfrew at home with a 14.30 ko, followed by SJFA v Isle of Man at 18.00. Benburb at home followed by RoI v NI. One admission price for both games.

It just smacks of absolutely no thought whatsoever, so no wonder nobody is interested. Cancelling a whole load of Saturday fixtures doesn't help PR.

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:57, southsidebrazilians said:

Pettigrews knees are gone, surprised if he is at Talbot much longer

You have got the 2nd part right now on the transfer market Time will tell if you are right about the first comment Last time I saw him play was Stranraer v Ayr a year past at New year He was one of the best players on the pitch that day

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Both pitches ok for today? It's chucked it down all night, loads of surface water lying around.

It's completely hosing it down in Cambuslang at the moment. I've got the day off today and was planning to head down to Somervell to check out RoI v IoM later on., but if the weather stays like this I doubt I'll be arsed to. 

I'll post a headcount of the crowd if I do...I doubt it'll take long :)

Archived