Burnie_man

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, archieb said:

WTF is the 'GJFA'???

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Guess.

Presumably the 'Glasgow Junior Football Association' - but there's no such thing!

(Unless you were just being sarcastic of course BM.)

19 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

That Saturday is R2 of the Big Scottish.

Glenafton ought to win through from the Preliminaries. With a favourable draw in R1 they could well be participating in R2.

So would none of their players get selected for the Quadrangular, weakening the national side and there potentially be the competing attraction of their Scottish Cup game distracting from the Internationals; or would the SJFA insist on call ups from Glenafton regardless. It would be interesting to see whether or not the SFA would recognize postponement of a Scottish Cup tie ""due to international call-ups" if they're 'only' for Junior international level. It would be unfair on Glenafton to make them fulfil the tie with their best players absent. 

I'd be amazed if the Quadrangular Tournament counted as an "international call-up" outranking Scottish Cup ties.

Glenafton, Linlithgow, BoD players would presumably be unavailable to SJFA XI.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, archieb said:

I hear Pollok have been asked to host a match in this tournament on Saturday 14th October, but don't know yet which teams would be playing.

Does anyone know any more regarding the match schedule?

Spoke to one of the selectors yesterday. No grounds had been chosen at that point, but he reckoned it would be in the Glasgow area and will include midweek  evening matches.

Spoke to one of the selectors yesterday. No grounds had been chosen at that point, but he reckoned it would be in the Glasgow area and will include midweek  evening matches.

Eh? If it's a round robin format the games will be played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

20 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Eh? If it's a round robin format the games will be played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I suppose Friday is technically midweek, or not weekend at any rate.

I'd probably be more likely to head along if it was an evening game as I certainly wouldn't be sacrificing a Saturday for it. 

On 07/08/2017 at 20:36, HibeeJibee said:

I'd be amazed if the Quadrangular Tournament counted as an "international call-up" outranking Scottish Cup ties.

Glenafton, Linlithgow, BoD players would presumably be unavailable to SJFA XI.

Would also add that it's not an international either - being Scottish is not necesary for being called up. It's nothing more than a League/Association representative match.

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

I suppose Friday is technically midweek, or not weekend at any rate.

I'd probably be more likely to head along if it was an evening game as I certainly wouldn't be sacrificing a Saturday for it. 

Don't know about anyone else, but my weekend starts as soon as I walk out of work on a Friday, which for me is 8am.

24 minutes ago, Nugent4nil said:

Despite the general feelings of supporters it is taking place so on the early form of players anyone from your club you think should be included?

Personally I hope nobody from beith is called up for that nonsense.

Keith Burgess the SJFA Team Manager has today named the undernoted squad of players ( together with stand-byes) to represent the Association in the forthcoming Umbro Quadrangular Tournament which will be held in Glasgow - 11th to 14th October 2017

JUNIOR SCOTLAND Squad, Umbro Quadrangular International Tournament, October 11-14.

GOALKEEPERS:

Andy Leishman (Auchinleck Talbot)
Richie Barnard (Linlithgow Rose)

DEFENDERS:

Andy Forbes (Penicuik Athletic)
Mark Sideserf (Pollok)
Nicky Docherty (Beith)
Jonathan Brown (Bonnyrigg Rose)
Dean Hoskins (Bonnyrigg Rose)
Colin Leiper (Linlithgow Rose)
Craig Pettigrew (Auchinleck Talbot) (captain)

MIDFIELDERS:

Phil Johnston (Clydebank)
Gary McCann (Pollok)
Ross Brash (Pollok)
Bryan Young (Pollok)
Colin Spence (Arthurlie)
Paul Burns (Cumnock)
Lewis Mackenzie (Dundonald Bluebell)

FORWARDS:

Keir Milliken (Beith)
David McKenna (Beith)
Graham Wilson (Auchinleck Talbot)
Bryan Boylan (Kilwinning Rangers)

STAND-BY:

Bryan Young (Bonnyrigg Rose)
Kerr Young (Bonnyrigg Rose)
Lewis Barr ( Penicuik Athletic)
Lee Gallacher (Kirkintilloch Rob Roy)
Ross McPherson (Beith)
Zander Miller (Broxburn Athletic)

Another thread on this mentioned that all games with 45 miles of the venues will be cancelled - is this going to happen? As I'm wondering what the state of play will be in the East that weekend.

Archived