Quadrangular Tournament 2017

Burnie_man

The Junior Quadrangular tournament is apparently making a comeback in October at ORIAM/Heriot Watt, anyone got any further details, ie. who the competing teams are, is it Scotland, NI, RoI and Isle of Man?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gogsy said:

So instead of playing it at club grounds, they are playing it on an indoor pitch? Way to go sjfa.,

Not only that, on an indoor pitch on a university campus in the middle of nowhere. Unless you're driving, it's a sketchy bus service or the one train an hour that stops at Curriehill.

I'm not angling for it to be held in Glasgow again incidentally - what about taking it to one of the Junior heartlands like Mid or West Lothian, Fife or Ayrshire?

A tournament based around Linlithgow, Bathgate and Bo'ness for example would be way better attended than one held in that soulless geodesic dome.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

So instead of playing it at club grounds, they are playing it on an indoor pitch? Way to go sjfa.,

Aye, so the Manx & Irish sides aren't facing a wasted trip with a rained off pitch.

Good, pragmatic idea.

Now, how about an indoor club tourney for December or January?

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Not only that, on an indoor pitch on a university campus in the middle of nowhere. Unless you're driving, it's a sketchy bus service or the one train an hour that stops at Curriehill.

I'm not angling for it to be held in Glasgow again incidentally - what about taking it to one of the Junior heartlands like Mid or West Lothian, Fife or Ayrshire?

A tournament based around Linlithgow, Bathgate and Bo'ness for example would be way better attended than one held in that soulless geodesic dome.

It's a wonderful facility, and I've seen a couple of Scotland under age games there, but it just doesn't seem right somehow to play matches there.  Mind you, they could be referring to the pitch used by Heriot Watt Uni for the EoSFL games, but then that wouldn't make sense either.

There's 3G at Blackburn and Broxburn nearby that they could play at if they wanted guarantees games could be played, even Kelty, otherwise Linlithgow have a fantastic pitch, as do Bathgate and Fauldhouse.  No need to use ORIAM.

Then again, details appear to be thin on the ground.

6 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

It's a wonderful facility, and I've seen a couple of Scotland under age games there, but it just doesn't seem right somehow to play matches there.  Mind you, they could be referring to the pitch used by Heriot Watt Uni for the EoSFL games, but then that wouldn't make sense either.

There's 3G at Blackburn and Broxburn nearby that they could play at if they wanted guarantees games could be played, even Kelty, otherwise Linlithgow have a fantastic pitch, as do Bathgate and Fauldhouse.  No need to use ORIAM.

Then again, details appear to be thin on the ground.

Much like Toryglen or Ravenscraig it's fine for bounce or development league games, but isn't really set up for anything that might actually pull a crowd - the EoS league held a final there on Sunday which attracted a crowd of 200-250 and from what I hear that number somewhat overwhelmed them - the cafe was closed and even the vending machines were turned off.

While there won't be that kind of crowd for say NI v IOM, you could expect a lot more than that to show up for the Scotland games.

It actually seats 500 and I'm told there was about that number there. I was there at one of the first games and it was full and it was fine, but as you say it's ok for youth games, and friendlies but a competitive adult tournament where you hope to attract a decent crowd? Not so sure.

18 minutes ago, fan of the juniors said:

When was the last time this was held in Scotland?
Always assumed it was Ireland or the Isle of Man they had it

Easter time 2005 was the last one here - games were at (old) Petershill, Arthurlie, Maryhill and St Ants.

The reason I was saying NI v IOM wouldn't pull much of a crowd was because that one was at Lochburn last time...few dozen punters tops! ;)

Would love to see a Scotland game at Kelty. The new facilities at the park are ready that's for sure... in my 40 years involved I don't think there has been an international junior game in Fife.... I'm sure it would be well supported especially if there are Fife/ East Region boys in the squad ... 

I went to the EOS Qualifying Cup Final between Spartans and LTHV on Sunday... Oriam is an excellent venue, and different to the other indoor stadiums like Ravenscraig (the roof is very much higher and no question of the ball striking it). Crowd was apparently 420 and this well filled the venue, which seemingly has a capacity of around 500 seats... though lots of people stood along the balcony. That said the car parking was overwhelmed. It's poor for public transport, but easily accessible by car from the M8 or City Bypass. Impressive facility.

Archived