East Region Superleague....

watchful eye

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never seen Jeanfield so I couldn't compare, it's a winner takes all scenario so will probably be down to who wants it most on the day.

Not quite winner takes all, I'm sure Jeanfield would be more than happy with a draw

28 minutes ago, Asst man said:

On watching Musselburgh last night, I am not sure that they will get the point required to catch Newtongrange.

All about opinions, but I'd say you've got that wrong. If you saw us last week at Bonnyrigg, you'd think we were the team challenging Kelly for the league title. 

Musselburgh were poor in the first half last night, then raised their game in the 2nd half but still not causing the goalkeeper much worry, if at all.

At Bonnyrigg we chased every ball, made them look an inferior team and deservedly won the match.

Which team turns up on Saturday. Me thinks the one who will get three points and avoid all possibility of relegation, thus keeping the pressure on both Newtongrange and Jeanfield.

Why ?  They have a home tie, and a not so good goal difference that could go against them. 
Also away to Bonnyrigg next. 
Manager must be thinking win this one and no worries.

I'm sure the manager will be thinking this one but a draw for them and then a point against Linlithgow or Bonnyrigg and they are safe. Where is there isn't another chance for Mussie.

Coming up for the end of season, but still lots to play for!

If Bonnyrigg win their last 5 league games, then they could still win the league from Kelty, and would do if Linlithgow win/draw against Kelty tomorrow.

At the Bottom of division, Camelon, Jeanfield, Musselburgh, and Newtongrange one way or another are still involved in either automatic relegation or perhaps in an end of season play-off against Forfar. - Have discounted Linlithgow as they surely will get one point out of their last 4 games to be safe.

My main thought at this time is 3 points for Musselburgh to be certain of staying in the league.

Hope we take a good crowd up to Perth to cheer the boys onto victory tomorrow.

MTB!

13 hours ago, b on the star said:

Totally agree. A fixture list is the answer

That's no going to happen anytime soon, so in the meantime scrapping the play-off and going for straight promotion/relegation would be an improvement.

That's no going to happen anytime soon, so in the meantime scrapping the play-off and going for straight promotion/relegation would be an improvement.

Why can't a fixture list happen any time soon? Surely in 2017 the answer isn't to scrap the play off cos of the skewed fixtures? Like Wishart saying the rules should be changed re betting cos the players can't stop breaking them.

Because in 2017 most clubs don’t even have floodlights. Without floodlights and the ability to re-arrange postponed games for midweek during the winter, then any fixture list will have completely fallen apart by the time you get to the business end of the season anyway, particularly when weeks of Scottish Cup postponements drive a wrecking ball through it.

So rather than moan about something that is not achievable anytime soon, maybe just scrap the pointless play-off and have three up/down. That’s as simple as a club proposing it, and a show of hands at the AGM.

Because in 2017 most clubs don’t even have floodlights. Without floodlights and the ability to re-arrange postponed games for midweek during the winter, then any fixture list will have completely fallen apart by the time you get to the business end of the season anyway, particularly when weeks of Scottish Cup postponements drive a wrecking ball through it.
So rather than moan about something that is not achievable anytime soon, maybe just scrap the pointless play-off and have three up/down. That’s as simple as a club proposing it, and a show of hands at the AGM.

It's really not that hard to get a fixture list in place for a season and floodlights shouldn't need to come into the question.

30 - league
8 - Junior Cup
5 - Senior Cup is good going
10 - local cups (max)
53 - for an exceptional season.

45 - Saturdays Between Aug and end of May
8 - Mid week Aug & Sept
9 - Mid week Apr & May
62 - possible dates (using only one day mid week)

Not many teams have 9 weeks of call offs on top of an exceptional season.

Even scheduling in every 2nd mid week (say Wed) Aug & Sept and Apr & May along with weekends you are looking at 53 dates for dames and a max of 53 games in a exceptional season.

If you go with that you get a fixture list for the season and leave 5 Wednesdays Apr & May along with 9 Mondays. So 14 dates available for games that have been cancelled/replays or what ever else puts a game off, I'd be surprised if a team has an exceptional season of 50 plus games and 14 call offs.

It really is beyond me that we are incapable of sorting this out at our level.

It's really not that hard to get a fixture list in place for a season and floodlights shouldn't need to come into the question.

30 - league
8 - Junior Cup
5 - Senior Cup is good going
10 - local cups (max)
53 - for an exceptional season.

45 - Saturdays Between Aug and end of May
8 - Mid week Aug & Sept
9 - Mid week Apr & May
62 - possible dates (using only one day mid week)

Not many teams have 9 weeks of call offs on top of an exceptional season.

Even scheduling in every 2nd mid week (say Wed) Aug & Sept and Apr & May along with weekends you are looking at 53 dates for dames and a max of 53 games in a exceptional season.

If you go with that you get a fixture list for the season and leave 5 Wednesdays Apr & May along with 9 Mondays. So 14 dates available for games that have been cancelled/replays or what ever else puts a game off, I'd be surprised if a team has an exceptional season of 50 plus games and 14 call offs.

It really is beyond me that we are incapable of sorting this out at our level.

I've explained why, and that is the reality of it. If you do not have the ability to play fixtures midweek in the darker months, then you cannot have a workable fixture list.

Once you have the Junior Cup underway with replays and postponements that take priority over every other fixture, as well as the one or two clubs that have senior Scottish Cup games that take priority over Junior Cup, then it would fall apart completely by December.

The best we could hope for is a better approach to providing fixtures eg. in 6 week blocks, rather than getting to the turn of the year and having a maximum of 2 weeks in advance.

16 team super league is too much would be 10 or 12 for me, would happily go back to the local leagues too a lothians league would be decent more derbys and far better crowds with more local interest if there was more derbys

45 minutes ago, Van magic said:

16 team super league is too much would be 10 or 12 for me, would happily go back to the local leagues too a lothians league would be decent more derbys and far better crowds with more local interest if there was more derbys

16 team Super League for me all the time 30 league games in a season. 10 teams would give 18 league game as 12 teams would give 22 games. In that case we could have a league competition Aug- Dec and another league season Jan-May Behave your self.

Fair enough The Big Rose have done well since the Super League was conceived having won it 3 times. The table never lies and after 30 games the team on top of the league are deserved Champions.

Would you seriously go back to the days of the local leagues? The Rose have done well with crowds not so sure the local derbies would create better crowds and more local interest.

C'mon the Rose

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Agree except 2 up 2 down is enough imo

Archived