Super Ayr vs Sons

Good first goal for Dumbarton, Gilly at fault

Scrappy goal for us but definitely warranted. Farid deserved a goal for the shift he put in.

Cracking goal for Crawford.

Forrest should have buried the game but at least he kept it interesting for the last 20 minutes.

Definite red for Fleming. Stupid challenge to make and pretty similar to the one earlier in the season.

Two great saves from our Fleming to see it out.

All in all a very enjoyable game and gives us a bit of confidence for a hard game on Tuesday night.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back at the other games between the two sides there has been loads of action.

4 games
17 goals
3 penalties
3 red cards
2 late comebacks

And most importantly no Dumbarton wins

Frustrating to lose after being in the lead deservedly. I thought we shaded the first half and it was a real blow to lose one before half time. El Alagui was a thorn in our side today. But he was also lucky not to get bookings on 2 or 3 different occasions.

We missed Daniel Harvie badly today I felt. Nade was also missed but not as much as Harvie at LB. Sparky was okay but I just don't feel he is that good in the defense. The sooner we get him back to defensive midfield the better. Which would free Stanton to move forward in the formation.

As well as Lewis Vaughan done at the goal today, it was the only thing he did do all game. I'd be dropping him for the time being, mainly because Stanton just looks a much better option. Much more dangerous when we attack other teams.

As hard as Fleming's tackle was I wasn't that sure it was a sending off. Looking back I can understand it and that is fair enough, but could easily have been a booking too. Nowhere near as bad as the scissor that Docherty gave Stirling. Speaking of which, he was just being a little p@#*k with all the play acting and smirks toward the away fans and things.

Frustrating to lose after being in the lead deservedly. I thought we shaded the first half and it was a real blow to lose one before half time. El Alagui was a thorn in our side today. But he was also lucky not to get bookings on 2 or 3 different occasions.
We missed Daniel Harvie badly today I felt. Nade was also missed but not as much as Harvie at LB. Sparky was okay but I just don't feel he is that good in the defense. The sooner we get him back to defensive midfield the better. Which would free Stanton to move forward in the formation.
As well as Lewis Vaughan done at the goal today, it was the only thing he did do all game. I'd be dropping him for the time being, mainly because Stanton just looks a much better option. Much more dangerous when we attack other teams.
As hard as Fleming's tackle was I wasn't that sure it was a sending off. Looking back I can understand it and that is fair enough, but could easily have been a booking too. Nowhere near as bad as the scissor that Docherty gave Stirling. Speaking of which, he was just being a little p@#*k with all the play acting and smirks toward the away fans and things.

1e1bb102ac4073ed9f641bdf8243f051.jpg

Couldn't make the game but what the f**k are we playing at with both of those goals? Leave Farid unmarked and give him two stabs at it and then slide tackling our own players for the second. Laughable. Didn't take our chances either. Hugely disappointing that we yet again don't see a game out from a winning position. Doesn't look a red to me but not the best angle on the highlights, no suprise to see Charleston generally being a fud though, moving the ball a yard further into the corner for that Ayr free kick is him in a nutshell.

Well done to Ayr, certainly makes St Mirrens job harder now, which is a good thing for both of us. 

Big reaction needed next week for us now.

Docherty's defending for the second goal is possibly the worse I've seen ever. David Smith is easily tracking Crawford until Docherty dives in for no reason not only taking him out of the equation but tripping up Smith in process.

Ayr could have had a penalty in the first half and for their first goal it was crazy of Andy Stirling to push Forrest when he was in the corner and going nowhere.

No doubt that we shat it today in the big game. It was obvious that the tactics were to keep it tight at the back rather than have a real go. Ayr had a go and possibly should have won by more.

Farid was great for Ayr although our defence is pefect suited for a big target man to sit on Darren Barr. Time to give Tom Lang another start imo as he's impressed me and is far more powerful than Barr or Buchy.

Mcrorie will be Huge for us in the run in as I thought what he offered us in terms of energy last week was outstanding. Bring him in for Vaughn.

Some of C Gal's run were excellent it's a shame he wasn't quite on the same wavelength as his teammates but I would say he worth another go up top next week.

Those highlights missed out the Stanton shot that went inches wide just after half-time too. In saying it that and Fleming's two excellent saves were the only second half chances we created.

I thought it was a red at the time, and I still do. I can sort of see what Garry is attempting, but you really can't tackle from behind and it's especially pointless in central midfield. He didn't look right when he came on, and doesn't even look that surprised or disappointed at being sent off.

Sparky looked really rusty, and those highlights summed up his performance. Harvie was a massive miss - probably far bigger than any of us imagined.

The defending for the second goal is tragic. Why does Sparky jump in? What is the need?

Harvie back at LB, McCrorie in at CDM, Stanton forward to ten next week. Also if SeaGal is starting upfront let's not just launch hoofs at him, balls into the corners like Ayr did with Forrest, or balls to his feet to run on to.

To anyone who thought it wasn't a red by the way (and I'm saying that as a Sons fan), it looks absolutely horrible when you slow it down. Docherty's lucky he didn't get a serious injury there. I think it was mis-timed rather than malicious, but absolutely no complaints from me.

58d77512d96bb_Screenshot2017-03-26at08_59_08.thumb.png.70982201473c7b9832de5a22159a59eb.png

To anyone who thought it wasn't a red by the way (and I'm saying that as a Sons fan), it looks absolutely horrible when you slow it down. Docherty's lucky he didn't get a serious injury there. I think it was mis-timed rather than malicious, but absolutely no complaints from me.
58d77512d96bb_Screenshot2017-03-26at08_59_08.thumb.png.70982201473c7b9832de5a22159a59eb.png

He won the ball but then his other leg went through Docherty. Probably a red and he probably meant to leave something on him IMO because he could have avoided swinging his other leg through Docherty.

Probably a borderline red, but Charleston is a fud..and Docherty's feigned injury probably ensured the red..what a disgusting player

Thought Ayr probably deserved the victory....we looked as though Nade had pulled out minutes before kick off and didn't really have a plan b....balls into the box for either Stirling or Gallagher were pointless....I would have put Thomson in there for at least a bit of presence

Good goal for us, but probably all that Vaughan did all day

We didn't really handle al alagui all day, and the timing of the equaliser was a sore one

Good second goal from Ayr, but sparky really sold it with his diving in taking Smith out in the process

Thomson should have scored after great work from Stanton

We probably played our best football when down to ten men

53 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

Probably a borderline red, but Charleston is a fud..and Docherty's feigned injury probably ensured the red..what a disgusting player

Yes, because having your leg bent in to that shape is bound to be painless

He limped off 5 min later when he was substituted

Archived