The Relegation Battle

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad our players didn't think this. We had loads to play for. If we'd lost yesterday it could've looked a lot lot worse for us. Thankfully we're sorted now.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

I know, I know. But it would have taken an utterly ridiculous set of results to see you guys really embroiled in it, but I know you guys weren't mathematically safe pre-match yesterday so you did still have something to play for.

Just such a sickener for us, a win would have been huge, particularly with Raith winning and Ayr holding Dundee United and getting a point.

I can't believe how tight it is at the bottom just now, every point gained/lost in the coming couple of weeks could prove absolutely pivotal.

The last game sees you hosting Falkirk.

My bad. Just making sure you were paying attention. My point stands doubly now. Would much prefer not to be needing something from our last two games, but such is the position we've put ourselves in, we're going to need to likely get something at Tannadice or from yourselves on the last day.[emoji85]

Plenty twists and turns yet. We could easily be 9th this time next week before going to Hibs.

Absolutely. There's lots more in this tale yet. The gut-churning feelings for those involved aside, it's great excitement that there's still so much to play for at this stage of the season and as folk have been predicting for ages, this will go right down to the wire.

If my maths is correct (which it likely isn't), we could either be only off the bottom by goal difference next Saturday, or 7th, two points clear of the play-off place, dependant on results.

It's certainly another huge week for the four involved at the bottom, I just hope we bounce back with a result in Dumfries after yesterday's disappointment.

1 hour ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Yesterday was a big blow. As decent a side as Dunfermline are, not being able to score let alone beat them at home when they didn't really have anything to play for doesn't exactly give me confidence heading to Palmerston next week.

We've got ourselves into this though and it just means that to stay up, we'll need to win at least one of our remaining three games. Who that's against I really don't care, but it's imperative we win one of them.

That said, I'd rather we didn't have to go to Tannadice on the last day needing something to ensure our survival...

Defeat yesterday would've given ourselves cause for concern, particularly with St Mirren and Raith's results, coupled with the fact we've got Falkirk next week, who our record against is pretty woeful.

After the Raith / United games we felt one more win would keep us away from even the play-off equation and I'm glad we got it yesterday, otherwise our last three would've been a bit nervy.

I think Ayr are going but it's hard to tell who'll go with them. St Mirren should have enough to see them through now but Rovers had a horrid run in. Though given they play Hibs after the semi-final, depending on how that goes, they'll feel they could maybe get something there now they've got the league sewn up.

Defeat yesterday would've given ourselves cause for concern, particularly with St Mirren and Raith's results, coupled with the fact we've got Falkirk next week, who our record against is pretty woeful.
After the Raith / United games we felt one more win would keep us away from even the play-off equation and I'm glad we got it yesterday, otherwise our last three would've been a bit nervy.
I think Ayr are going but it's hard to tell who'll go with them. St Mirren should have enough to see them through now but Rovers had a horrid run in. Though given they play Hibs after the semi-final, depending on how that goes, they'll feel they could maybe get something there now they've got the league sewn up.

Yes a defeat would well have dragged you in, in just disappointed we seemed to not compete, something which we have been doing well recently.

Sadly I don't think even Ayr can be written off just now, they've still to play Morton who are on a rancid run at the moment.

All four have a tough run it, it'll just come down to who can dig out enough points out of the nine remaining. Sadly yesterday represented our best chance of three and we saw how that went.

It saddens me greatly, the thought of playing Brechin and Peterhead again next season. Greatly. Can we not make it that you split the points if the team you are playing is more than an hour away.

Also, the crowds. Where do I start. Absolutely dreadful.

Please, Easter bunny, make us stay up. I promise I will do some charity work and vote for the Green Party.

Falkirk's equalizer and Dunfermline taking the lead yesterday happened within a minute and Raith went from 9th to 7th provisionally which is where they were at close of play. As an veteran of numerous St. Mirren relegation battles I'm sure that won't be the last crazy minute between now and the end of the season.

19 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I don't see Ayr getting any further points at all now. They're a rancid team of cloggers and Harkins.

I'm 100% positive that the red and yellow card stats will comfortably disprove that, probably put your mob nearer that bracket than mine.

8 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'd agree. Ayr don't have any fight in them whatsoever, so certainly they're not cloggers.

Agreed, I could put up a fairly extensive list of Ayr players that couldn't tackle a fish supper, one of the main reasons apart from the obvious one why we're going down.

On 16/04/2017 at 11:58, AUFC 1910 said:

It saddens me greatly, the thought of playing Brechin and Peterhead again next season. Greatly. Can we not make it that you split the points if the team you are playing is more than an hour away.

Also, the crowds. Where do I start. Absolutely dreadful.

Please, Easter bunny, make us stay up. I promise I will do some charity work and vote for the Green Party.

Why not make Brechin and Peterhead turn full-time, then require them to play through June and July?

To be honest, I think then that the challenge would be how to limit the crowds to safe levels.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why not make Brechin and Peterhead turn full-time, then require them to play through June and July?

To be honest, I think then that the challenge would be how to limit the crowds to safe levels.

Brechin would need to borrow a soup pot from Baxters.

Archived