The Relegation Battle

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayr always seem to pull a random win out of the fire at Cappielow and I'm not too confident about tomorrow's game at Starks. 

Add to the fact that we've been rank against the Pars this season I can see our final game at home to Dundee United being a fight for third place (maybe).

Best wishes to you all. Unless we hit Admin II then we are out of this lovely discussion. 

Ayr have to win one of their next two games I feel. I think Morton away is the best chance as they've chucked it as per.

If St Mirren keep playing the way they did today then they'll be fine. Conceding two cheap goals from set pieces is worrying though and despite their superb form, they're only ahead of Dumbarton on goal difference. The Sons are in a bit of real bother now. Think they might just need to beat Queens next week.

Absolutely massive win for Rovers. Free hit at the champions in their deckchairs before a stonking couple of matches against Saints and Ayr. Oooft.

48 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Best wishes to you all. Unless we hit Admin II then we are out of this lovely discussion. 

Ayr have to win one of their next two games I feel. I think Morton away is the best chance as they've chucked it as per.

If St Mirren keep playing the way they did today then they'll be fine. Conceding two cheap goals from set pieces is worrying though and despite their superb form, they're only ahead of Dumbarton on goal difference. The Sons are in a bit of real bother now. Think they might just need to beat Queens next week.

Absolutely massive win for Rovers. Free hit at the champions in their deckchairs before a stonking couple of matches against Saints and Ayr. Oooft.

It's quite probably the most ridiculous relegation battle there's been in the last few years. There's four teams where any of them can feasibly head down. 

Today's win was massive for us as you said. It's the first time in ages that the squad and fans looked to be completely together. When our second went in, Matthews flew into the fans celebrating. St Mirren getting a draw, in a strange way, could potentially help us with that allowing Hibs to wrap up the title. We get some extra time to recuperate then go to a midweek game at Easter Road after their semi-final in the cup and they'll potentially look to be fielding fringe players and youths. 

Within a space of 5 minutes today, St Mirren were 7th place, 9th place then 8th place. Both ourselves and Dumbarton seem to be wildly unpredictable. From a Rovers perspective, I'm hoping we can end up pulling a few surprises over our next two games. 

Looking at the fixtures there are some more twists and turns to come in this relegation dog fight. Really think we need to beat Morton to give us a realistic chance of avoiding bottom spot. However, it is not inconceivable that both Raith and Dumbarton might not get another point.St. Mirren should have enough to scrape 8th think the real fight is between us Dumbarton and Raith. That said I still fully expect us to fail and go down.

Impossible to call how this is going. Four points away to Morton and Falkirk is great: home draw to Dumbarton and an away defeat to Raith were terrible results for us.

However, I think Saints, Raith and Dumbarton would all have more than enough about them to come through the playoffs, tbh.

The usual accepted wisdom about teams in poor form struggling against flying promotion contenders doesn't apply here because all three have been pulling big results out the bag.

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

A League 1 title battle between ourselves and Ayr United next season should be quite entertaining

Reveal hidden contents

:(

It's crazy: I was 100% convinced you'd be fine after you held us last weekend.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's crazy: I was 100% convinced you'd be fine after you held us last weekend.

Whilst not 100% confident, I did believe we'd stay up after that. Now I'm looking at our final three games and fearing the worst.

The bottom half of this league has been mental this year.

Yesterday was a big blow. As decent a side as Dunfermline are, not being able to score let alone beat them at home when they didn't really have anything to play for doesn't exactly give me confidence heading to Palmerston next week.

We've got ourselves into this though and it just means that to stay up, we'll need to win at least one of our remaining three games. Who that's against I really don't care, but it's imperative we win one of them.

That said, I'd rather we didn't have to go to Tannadice on the last day needing something to ensure our survival...

9 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Yesterday was a big blow. As decent a side as Dunfermline are, not being able to score let alone beat them at home when they didn't really have anything to play for doesn't exactly give me confidence heading to Palmerston next week.

Glad our players didn't think this. We had loads to play for. If we'd lost yesterday it could've looked a lot lot worse for us. Thankfully we're sorted now.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

27 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

We've got ourselves into this though and it just means that to stay up, we'll need to win at least one of our remaining three games. Who that's against I really don't care, but it's imperative we win one of them.

That said, I'd rather we didn't have to go to Tannadice on the last day needing something to ensure our survival...

The last game sees you hosting Falkirk.

Plenty twists and turns yet. We could easily be 9th this time next week before going to Hibs. Regardless of how much in holiday mode Hibs are, don't really want to be going there needing a win to take us out of 9th.

My gut feeling is that we will need to at ultimate worst get 4 points from St Mirren and Ayr.

Even taking away the other results, yesterday felt massive. We actuallu saw some correlation between what Hughes says and what we actually did.

Archived