The Relegation Battle

A possible blessing in disguise for us could be that Raith seem as shit as us and have somehow scored less goals than us this season. Didn't think it was possible for a team to have scored less goals than us.

This could make the last game of the season up at Kirkcaldy an interesting 0-0.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A possible blessing in disguise for us could be that Raith seem as shit as us and have somehow scored less goals than us this season. Didn't think it was possible for a team to have scored less goals than us.
This could make the last game of the season up at Kirkcaldy an interesting 0-0.

Scoring goals is over-rated tbh.

2 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Alloa v St Mirren would be interesting.

It  would ,been wondering about that scenario and would not be surprised, but alloa v raith  or dumbarton would be better in footballing terms

tough games and we still have to get there first! brechin and airdrie look to be after this as well !

You guys are safe IMO. A win on Saturday and it's sealed. Actually prefer it to be Raith to accompany us in the bottom two slots as it means McCall can't use the part time or budget excuse.

I'm certainly not counting us as safe yet. All we need is another weekend like the one where we thought we'd had a great result in drawing at Easter Road, only for Ayr, Raith and St. Mirren to go and win too.

That said, I'm content with our position at the moment. We have a tough run in, but so do the rest down at the bottom, and I'd prefer to be in our position than any of the others below us (obviously I suppose).

It's not even about us winning any more, we just need to sit tight and match the results of two of the sides below us for the last four games.

I am hoping for a repeat of 2012, we were all but out of it in March but a late surge saw us scrape 4th place and we shocked Ayr United with a victory at Somerset Park in the playoff semis.  We lost to the Sons in the Final but a certain demise of a big Glasgow Club saw us promoted.  Can't honestly see it repeated as our defence is shocking.

I am hoping for a repeat of 2012, we were all but out of it in March but a late surge saw us scrape 4th place and we shocked Ayr United with a victory at Somerset Park in the playoff semis.  We lost to the Sons in the Final but a certain demise of a big Glasgow Club saw us promoted.  Can't honestly see it repeated as our defence is shocking.

You'll forgive me for looking back on that season with immense glee and delight. We made a great run to the play-offs and the promotion we achieved due to beating you guys remains one of my fondest memories as a Sons fan.

It was a tight first leg, but our first half put in the game at New Broomfield really was spectacular. What a day it was.

I think it depends who plays who in the play-offs what happens. I know many tout the Championship side to stay up. Hey it might still be us, but if it's Raith or Ayr, I wouldn't be so sure that'd be the case.

I'd be content for us to take the Ayr boaby if it didn't affect our finishing place and assisted in sending St Mirren down. However I don't think second place will be decided until the last game of the season.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 14:47, irvine_buddie said:

Had a go at predicting how it'll pan out. Most likely be miles off with teams scrapping for their lifes results are hard to predict but here goes...

St Mirren

Ayr (H) - 1  3

Dumbarton (H) - 3  

Morton (A) - 1

Falkirk (A) - 0

Dundee Utd (A) - 0

Raith (H) - 3

Hibs (A) – 1

Total – 9

Trying not to go overboard with optimism, would like to think we could win all 3 home games but it’s just not St Mirren, and we are incapable of winning 3 league games in a row.

Ayr

St Mirren (A) - 1  0

QoS (H) - 1   0

Dundee Utd (H) - 0

Morton (A) - 0

Hibs (H) - 0

Raith (A) - 1

Total – 3

Think their mini run of form will falter, they’ll be hard to beat but just lacking in quality I think.

Dumbarton

Morton (H) - 0   3

St Mirren (A) - 0  1

Dunfermline (H) - 3

QoS (A) - 0

Dundee Utd (A) - 0

Falkirk (H) - 1

Total – 4

Only beaten Raith (twice) since the new year, too many draws and run off bad form at the wrong time will kill them I think.

Raith Rovers

Falkirk (A) - 0    0

Dunfermline (A) - 0    0

Morton (H) - 1

Hibs (A) - 0

St Mirren (A) - 0

Ayr (A) – 1

Total - 2

Hard run-in of fixtures, could all come down to the last game away to Ayr but their away form is woeful.

Final Table

St Mirren - 36

Dumbarton - 35 39

Raith Rovers - 35

Ayr United - 34 32

Raith to lose out on goal difference, a last minute own goal by John McGinn at Easter Road securing saints safety.

Not miles off, Ayr 2 points worse off and Dumbarton 4 better off than I predicted. Dunfermline and QoS now safe.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

If that transpired, I'd fully expect The Legend to do the decent thing against his previous, and future, employers.

Could well do, I expect us to finish in our current position.

Something that is overlooked is St Mirren playing Hibs on the final day, with nothing to play for. Hopefully we'll play Hibs after the title is sealed but I fear it'll be the day they clinch it. Indeed, it's a whammy either way for us because for Hibs to win the title on Saturday it requires St Mirren to get something off of Morton on Tuesday, or Falkirk on Saturday.

With our away form it probably doesn't really matter, albeit Hibs have the shameful record of actually conceding a goal to us at their own ground, something only they and Queens have done since October. They even needed a stoppage time equaliser to prevent a full on minter.

Morton at home on Saturday for Rovers is categorically a must-win. No question about it. Given we have two away games directly after it, one against St Mirren, even a draw is no use, regardless of other results.

I'm another Rovers fan who is resigned to relegation. Two wins from 23 matches across all competitions now. I see no reason for us to pick up an unexpected win from anywhere.

I'd be content for us to take the Ayr boaby if it didn't affect our finishing place and assisted in sending St Mirren down. However I don't think second place will be decided until the last game of the season.

This really says it all about Morton, no doubt a couple of the players will have some cash on an Ayr win too!

11 minutes ago, Luther G Presley said:

This really says it all about Morton, no doubt a couple of the players will have some cash on an Ayr win too!

Ach, they're used to it, we'll need to have another 12 seasons like the last 12 for them to gain parity.

25 minutes ago, Luther G Presley said:

"Morton fan in wanting their rivals to get relegated shocker"

Did you call your local police station to report this travesty or just dial 999 as you deemed it an emergency?

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"Morton fan in wanting their rivals to get relegated shocker"

Did you call your local police station to report this travesty or just dial 999 as you deemed it an emergency?

It's obviously not a crime: it's just a chronic lack of self-respect.

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

As pointed out many many times to you. St Mirren have never been to the lower depths of Scottish football that Morton have for many many years. St Mirren fans came to your club and dug deep in your hour of need. St Mirren were also kind enough to give Morton hand me downs from our old stadium. In other words we help our poor neighbours so one must ask where your bitterness comes from. 

Archived