The Relegation Battle

On 01/05/2017 at 09:26, irvine_buddie said:

If we do end up 9th it will be a nice consolation that we get another 4 (hopefully) games. After the first half of the season being so dire, I'm not ready for this season to end yet :thumsup2

Will it not be two games? 

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

Will it not be two games? 

Championship/League 1 playoff is 9th v 4th, 2nd v 3rd over two legs with the winners going to the final over two legs. Two games would mean getting pumped out by whichever one of Airdrie/Brechin/East Fife/Queen's Park finishes fourth in the semi.

Obviously no one wants that to happen to St. Mirren, because pulling off the great escape from automatic relegation, having 8th in their grasp, going 9th again on the last day, pumping their first opponents to go into the final full of confidence only to be relegated by Jim Goodwin's Alloa would be much, much funnier.

Definitely happening. :(

There's no doubt at all in my mind we'll finish 9th. I'd have us down to lose in the final to Alloa but it wouldn't be the biggest surprise if we lost the semi. Regardless of who we play, it'll be all about clinging onto the tie in the away leg then hoping we can break them down to turn it around at home. We're good at neither of those things so I just can't see a possibility of us staying up. Don't deserve to, either.

It'd be pretty hilarious if we finished above St Mirren right enough, who are clearly about a million times better.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Championship/League 1 playoff is 9th v 4th, 2nd v 3rd over two legs with the winners going to the final over two legs. Two games would mean getting pumped out by whichever one of Airdrie/Brechin/East Fife/Queen's Park finishes fourth in the semi.

Obviously no one wants that to happen to St. Mirren, because pulling off the great escape from automatic relegation, having 8th in their grasp, going 9th again on the last day, pumping their first opponents to go into the final full of confidence only to be relegated by Jim Goodwin's Alloa would be much, much funnier.

Definitely happening. :(

What frightens me most is seeing this used against us, TBH.

Jim_-_You_Seem_Upset_GIF.jpg

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

There's no doubt at all in my mind we'll finish 9th. I'd have us down to lose in the final to Alloa but it wouldn't be the biggest surprise if we lost the semi. Regardless of who we play, it'll be all about clinging onto the tie in the away leg then hoping we can break them down to turn it around at home. We're good at neither of those things so I just can't see a possibility of us staying up. Don't deserve to, either.

It'd be pretty hilarious if we finished above St Mirren right enough, who are clearly about a million times better.

Nah, shite like Raith and ourselves fully deserve to be playing League One next season, I for one will be rooting for Raith to be relegated, IMHO teams putting up performances like both of ours just don't deserve to stink out a division 2 seasons in a row.

2 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

You Dunfermline fans seem to be weirdly obsessing about this 'happy to finish 9th' thing just cause 1 person said it in passing. I think it's obvious we wouldn't be "happy" to be 9th from this point going into the last game.. but we would have bit your hand off for 9th for most of the season so we wouldn't be particularly gutted.

One obsessed mob go quiet another one steps in.  I'll be that one person and i think most fans would actually understand we'd have taken 9th gladly at Xmas.  But yes slightly disappointed but certainly won't be gutted with 9th if thats how it turns out considering how the first half of the season went.

11 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Apparently everyone will be delighted if they finish 9th.

odd one imo.

Nope I'd be over the moon if we missed ninth on Saturday

8th would be preferable but I'm totally prepared to accept 10th this season has been depressing and long enough without adding last minute defeat to Alloa to the list of disasters

I think the difference is, if St Mirren finished in the playoffs, they would stay up. Whereas i don't think Raith Rovers would, their freefall brings back memories of Butcher's reign :( also got pals who currently play for them, so would hope they stay up.

On 2017-5-2 at 09:49, flyingscot said:

I'd settled for in my head for 10th place in January. If you told me we could get 9th then I'd have taken it on the spot. 

I'd be disappointed to get 9th now given where we are, but we have a tough game- have to get something from Easter Road that will be full and bouncing. It's still a great turnaround.  

Ultimately pointless if you don't stay up though. St Mirren are too big a club to be happy with avoiding relegation from the second tier, regardless of how doomed they were at Christmas.

I'm rooting for you anyway. Far better you lot than Alloa, Airdrie or Brechin. Yuck.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Ultimately pointless if you don't stay up though. St Mirren are too big a club to be happy with avoiding relegation from the second tier, regardless of how doomed they were at Christmas.

I'm rooting for you anyway. Far better you lot than Alloa, Airdrie or Brechin. Yuck.

Aye pnb will float away with the floods of tears of laughter aimed at us if we go down after staging this come back but, rightly so. If we get a point on Saturday we'll be dishing out all sorts of Alex Salmond/Gregg Wallace smug faces :lol:.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

No offence but that's bollocks, to be honest. Clubs of equal footing (size wise) to us have gone down to the third tier through a mixture of factors, mismanagement being one of them. Dunfermline and Partick Thistle being two most obvious examples of this.

You can't genuinely say that we're not supposed to be happy if we somehow survive the destitute omnishambles we were only 4 months ago. Almost everyone had given up any hope of a comeback, there were simply too many losses racked up, too many points to claw back on the out of form teams above us and we were quickly running out of road.

Make no mistake, if we survive this nonsense, it's probably the finest achievement I've witnessed in 25 years of going to games. We were THAT far behind, THAT despondently terrible that at one point, and even as recently as 4 weeks ago, we're told we had no chance due to THAT run-in. It was being openly discussed on the St. Mirren relegation express thread that we'd not only be relegated as an inevitability but with a record low in several fields.

If we do survive on Saturday, it's something that deserves to be celebrated in a huge way by the supporters who have rallied behind the team at a point where the reality was that we'd be as well giving up. I genuinely believe that whatever league we're in next season, we're going to be in a fight at the top end of the table, if that's going to be a championship fight rather that a league one fight, then it's definitely cause for celebration.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aye pnb will float away with the floods of tears of laughter aimed at us if we go down after staging this come back but, rightly so.

If we get a point on Saturday we'll be dishing out all sorts of Alex Salmond/Gregg Wallace smug faces :lol:.

Undoubtedly both of those statements are valid.:lol:

I just can`t see St Mirren going down but there will be much hilarity on here if you do.

The smug faces will be most appropriate as and when you do stay up.

Archived