The Relegation Battle

Its very frustrating to look at the table now and see us 5 points off the foot of the table having only lost  3 times in 18 league games.

We've drawn far too many games we really should have won (some we should have lost, granted) and those first 6 games have really come back to haunt us.

I dont think theres any chance we'll finish bottom. The 5 point gap is enough to keep at least one team below us, but we really need to be looking to beat the Rovers, Dumbarton and Queens, with a bonus point or two against the rest. That will see us safe.

It's exciting at least.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something to be said about a league where Queens can be in the hunt for the playoffs twice and be embroiled in a relegation dogfight on 2 separate occasions and even then whilst clutching straws incredibly firmly that there is a very, very, very slim chance of catching a United team that can't be fucked anymore, though that would be on the Lex level of deluded at this stage. I'd be thrilled with just winning 2 games out of  7 and finish this stupid season.

5th - Dunfermline like Queens but exciting, they'll snatch enough wins/draws to be safe

6th - Queens - mercurial and shitfesty in equal measure. Threaten to do various things without ever following through, like an angsty teenager looking for attention. Pls be boring again.

7th - Raith - Hughes will win enough games to get out of trouble

8th - Dumbarton -  I usually back them to be terrible and then they go and body a good side before getting demolished by a sunday league team and they go and finish 7th. I think they'll stay up which is probably the kiss of death for them as their run in looks far too straight forward for the team that logic forgot.

9th - St Mirren - Aren't a bad side now but they have a b*****d of a run in and the teams above them aren't losing enough games to them to catch up.

10th  - Ayr - just don't have enough about them to stay above St Mirren and the other teams are looking good, only hope for them is to take the 'sp00ky part time team' crown from Dumbarton.

No idea what points tally would be enough for us over the next 7 games but I reckon 8 points is about as much as we can muster. Our run in looks quite tough and we've yet to win a game away from home with Hughes in charge (I think our away record is the worst in the league overall) however 7 point out of 9 at home since Hughes came in has been decent. 

Despite our recent turnaround, it's still looking pretty bleak for us.  Ayr have 2 games before our next league game, which is against them.  If they get 3 or more points from those 2 games then no matter what happens in the match between us, we'll be bottom with 6 games to go.

In those final 6 games we have away games at Morton, Hibs, Falkirk and Dundee Utd.  4 of our last 6 matches are away games against the top 4.

Pretty much the hardest run in possible.  We could still do it of course, but we have left ourselves with a lot of work to do.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Despite our recent turnaround, it's still looking pretty bleak for us.  Ayr have 2 games before our next league game, which is against them.  If they get 3 or more points from those 2 games then no matter what happens in the match between us, we'll be bottom with 6 games to go.

In those final 6 games we have away games at Morton, Hibs, Falkirk and Dundee Utd.  4 of our last 6 matches are away games against the top 4.

Pretty much the hardest run in possible.  We could still do it of course, but we have left ourselves with a lot of work to do.

I was feeling pretty confident looking at the live league table at HT on Saturday with us winninng and before Ayr and Raith took the lead. Looking at the table and fixtures now it does still look like a big ask to get to 8th. We absolutely need to win our 3 home games against Ayr, Dumbarton and Raith.. and probably pick up about 3 points from the 4 away games.

I still find it astounding that Dumbarton haven't had back to back wins all season and aren't bottom.
Tho your performance against us recently was one of the best away performances I've seen at the TFS this season.

This season has confused the life out of me. It's defied all logic. We are hilariously inconsistent, but we're pretty entertaining to watch - and after last season I'm really pleased with that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a decent number of points between now and May and finish comfortably in lower mid-table. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised to see us end up a few points adrift at the bottom.

In between failing to score in 180 minutes against a Junior team, we managed to beat QOTS, then a fortnight later beat Falkirk. It's utterly bizarre.

Getting pumped 5-1 (going on 7 or 8) by the Pars was followed by dishing out a 4-0 pumping to Raith, who had finally managed to win midweek. Then we took a good point at ER on Saturday. I've no idea what side will turn up, but I always have a feeling we'll score - which I certainly didn't get last season.

I still fear that the 2-2 with Ayr will come back to haunt us. That was a horrible result after such a comfortable and dominant performance. A win on Saturday would calm that fear slightly though.

17 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

This season has confused the life out of me. It's defied all logic. We are hilariously inconsistent, but we're pretty entertaining to watch - and after last season I'm really pleased with that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a decent number of points between now and May and finish comfortably in lower mid-table. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised to see us end up a few points adrift at the bottom.

In between failing to score in 180 minutes against a Junior team, we managed to beat QOTS, then a fortnight later beat Falkirk. It's utterly bizarre.

Getting pumped 5-1 (going on 7 or 8) by the Pars was followed by dishing out a 4-0 pumping to Raith, who had finally managed to win midweek. Then we took a good point at ER on Saturday. I've no idea what side will turn up, but I always have a feeling we'll score - which I certainly didn't get last season.

I still fear that the 2-2 with Ayr will come back to haunt us. That was a horrible result after such a comfortable and dominant performance. A win on Saturday would calm that fear slightly though.

Let's not forget the absolute shitemare at Somerset where you scored from 3 wind-assisted crosses in the second half despite only having one shot on target. Can't really get more entertainment value than that, although I was absolutely rattled.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Nailed on away win.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Playing Hibs when they will have won the league is no bad thing.

9 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Let's not forget the absolute shitemare at Somerset where you scored from 3 wind-assisted crosses in the second half despite only having one shot on target. Can't really get more entertainment value than that, although I was absolutely rattled.

To be fair I actually thought we were good value for our point that day, especially after going behind three times, and going down to ten men under a rule that was abolished in the summer.

That game was a farce though. To be brutally honest there was no way the game should've gone ahead in those conditions, a total lottery. 

Actually pretty worried. Out of form and some very hard fixtures. Guaranteed Dundee Utd will turn it around against us.

Couple that with the fact AJ has a 25% win ratio in the league this season (probably worse including league cup and hamilton draws) and it's pretty scary stuff.

25 minutes ago, Fungi said:

Actually pretty worried. Out of form and some very hard fixtures. Guaranteed Dundee Utd will turn it around against us.

Couple that with the fact AJ has a 25% win ratio in the league this season (probably worse including league cup and hamilton draws) and it's pretty scary stuff.

If you mention guarantees and Dundee United in the same sentence people will assume you're Darren Jackson.  You don't deserve that.

For maximum scenes I obviously want the last day to go to St. Mirren needing to win to stay up and Hibs to win to win the league, ending in a draw that fucks the pair of them. I can see St. Mirren going into that safe from 10th already though. Do Ayr have enough about them to avoid being cut adrift?

19 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

Before Saturday's games I would've put money on Rovers and Ayr filling the bottom two spots. After Saturday's results i really don't know what to think.

To be fair it looks like that'll change from week to week.

2 weeks ago it was Dumbarton who were doomed.

Last week, your good selves.

This week, it feels like us.

1 hour ago, Martin Nelson said:

Before Saturday's games I would've put money on Rovers and Ayr filling the bottom two spots. After Saturday's results i really don't know what to think.

I genuinely thought you guys were down after we beat you 4-0. The whole team looked disjointed and Yogi basically told them they were all shite at football in the aftermath, I thought that may have been the wrong move from him but he seems to have gotten the required reaction. Every team in the bottom half has just been so up and down this season that predicting it becomes impossible.

I'm enjoying it though, guaranteed excitement.

I genuinely thought you guys were down after we beat you 4-0. The whole team looked disjointed and Yogi basically told them they were all shite at football in the aftermath, I thought that may have been the wrong move from him but he seems to have gotten the required reaction. Every team in the bottom half has just been so up and down this season that predicting it becomes impossible.
I'm enjoying it though, guaranteed excitement.

I could do without the "excitement" games have become all about results and not quality entertaining football.

4 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I could do without the "excitement" games have become all about results and not quality entertaining football.

Good competition is what gets fans out to games and we've got that in abundance this year. This is what it's all about for me, the quality isn't all that important.

Good competition is what gets fans out to games and we've got that in abundance this year. This is what it's all about for me, the quality isn't all that important.

Yes but it's not good for the heart.

Also I have never followed others teams games as much as I have this season. Each week I end up supporting about 4 teams which change depending on the fixtures.

Archived