Grief Culture

Torpar

I am the only one that thinks the general 'grief culture' in football and the world in general has gone a bit too far.

I read on another message board that they are trying to arrange a minute's applause at a game this Saturday because someone's grandad died. Now I don't know the exact circumstances of his death but I'm guessing it's something to do with being old, which isn't exactly tragic. While I was sad when my grandfather died, I was able to accept that when people get old they die.

The whole Bradley Lowery thing is of course very sad, being struck by cancer at such a young age shows how cruel the world can be. But it seems now that every time a team plays Sunderland they have to show off their flag saying 'Cancer has no colours' or something similar. Followed by Facebook comments like 'Respect, from a Magpies fan' etc.

I just find the whole minutes applause or turning on your phone lights for a dead fan a little over played and mostly done for the 'likes', people finding any old excuse to do it now. Or I might just be a miserable b*****d, happy Friday everyone

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a football fan. It could have been me. Fly high sweet angel.

Agree to an extent. With the likes of Bradley Lowery and the boy Jay that follows Celtic, it is possible to raise tremendous amounts of money and awareness for charity. That has to be a good thing. At the same time, I also long for the day when football is just football again and Geordies can go back to punching police horses without having to think about the police horses benevolent fund and whether or not the horse they are punching is going to get a minutes applause for being such a hero.

7 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

We're holding a minutes applause this weekend for someone's Cat passing away.

Make sure it's done at the same minute as the cat's squad number.

16 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

9 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Make sure it's done at the same minute as the cat's squad number.

9th minute

Marking the lose of it's ninth life #LOVETOTHEPUSSY

16 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Yeah - I know the one.
Choked while eating the family goldfish.
Does the goldfish get a minute's applause too?

There seems to be hardly a week goes by and The Rangers are trotting onto the pitch wearing black armbands.
They could be mourning themselves when I think of it.

It's either that or they're parading troops around.

When I die I want to be burned on a pyre in the centre circle at Caley Park at halftime.  All my wives (I have many) can throw themselves on the pyre as well, as is the way of our people.

Anyone not suitably grief stricken will be impaled on a pointy stick.

Just now, ICTChris said:

When I die I want to be burned on a pyre in the centre circle at Caley Park at halftime.  All my wives (I have many) can throw themselves on the pyre as well, as is the way of our people.

Anyone not suitably grief stricken will be impaled on a pointy stick.

Good idea. Always fucking freezing in that stadium.

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

It's either that or they're parading troops around.

Did they not fire off a cannon at the one game? Hopefully no delicate Raith Rovers fans were there to be offended

Twitter is awash with any time someone does something involving that Bradley kid. Most recent one was another team having a banner like "Leeds fan support Bradley". Minterific.

http://devachat.freeforums.net/thread/58/bucket-collection-applause-update

Chester fans tried to arrange a minutes applause/collection for a memorial for a dead cat.  Brutus used to hang around the local Morrisons and entertain shoppers....by jumping in their trolleys or cars.

There was a crowdfunding page set up (not by the football club). It's currently at 57% of it's target - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/brutus

Seems that most football games these days have a minutes silence/applause before them,

Can understand it when its an ex player or even a fan that has a link to the club.  Not so much for when its for a plane crash or a terrorist attack or something else similar which has nothing to do with football.

35 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

http://devachat.freeforums.net/thread/58/bucket-collection-applause-update

Chester fans tried to arrange a minutes applause/collection for a memorial for a dead cat.  Brutus used to hang around the local Morrisons and entertain shoppers....by jumping in their trolleys or cars.

There was a crowdfunding page set up (not by the football club). It's currently at 57% of it's target - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/brutus

A minutes-a-paws.... I'll get my coat.

Archived