The Lord of the Rings

jamamafegan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...is the best trilogy of all time. Seriously, it's so fucking good. It's timeless. If you wanted to show anybody why props and real costumes are more authentic than modern CGI - you would hand them the DVD trilogy box.
The soundtrack is beautiful, haunting, empowering. It was just so well done. My procrastination right now consists of watching LOTR scenes on Youtube and reading up on LOTR lore. I can't get enough.
Just look at this scene for example. It's the perfect mixture of eye/eargasm.

I can't think of a trilogy that comes anywhere near this one. Please feel free to share your favourite LOTR scenes and lore.

I watched the trilogy again recently. They are good films, but I can see what Randall was talking about in Clerks 2.

It is just one long walk and Frodo and Sam should have just got it over with and had a massive f**k session in the woods. Some of the looks between the pair are smouldering. Proper gay couple.

When I went to Uni in the early 80s there was a group of LOTR geeks and I studiously avoided the books as most of these Tolkien devotees wore v-neck jumpers tucked in to their jeans.

I did, though, read and finish the novels only a day or two before I saw Fellowship of the Ring at Ocean Terminal in 2001...and have to say it was not only brilliant but captured the mood of the books impressively.

About the best book(s) to cinema translation I can think of...apart from The Name of the Rose.

This scene was my favourite in the trilogy, the helms deep battle was utterly stunning and this bit simply topped it off

The start of that battle when the orcs attack the wall is mad. That soundtrack is intense, especially when the ladders go up.

"Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none!"

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The start of that battle when the orcs attack the wall is mad. That soundtrack is intense, especially when the ladders go up.

When legolas is trying to take down the orc with the bomb as well, quality viewing, the desperation as they hit it with arrow after arrow

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It is just one long walk and Frodo and Sam should have just got it over with and had a massive f**k session in the woods. Some of the looks between the pair are smouldering. Proper gay couple.

Brokeback Mount Doom?

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

When legolas is trying to take down the orc with the bomb as well, quality viewing, the desperation as they hit it with arrow after arrow

The Two Towers is the best of the three imho. Helms Deep was an amazing battle pushing the Mines of Moria into second place (They have a Cave Troll). I was a little let down with the third tbh.

It's a shame the Hobbit was so shite.

-  Legolas' OTT single handed take down of the Oliphant & its entire crew, only to be dismissed by Gimli with "it still only counts as one!"

This, absolutely this.

I read the books and just loved everything about the whole world, trying to read everything about it.

20 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

It's a shame the Hobbit was so shite.

Very much this. It was a great let down.

I first read  The Hobbit and LOTR in early 70's and have always loved them but The Hobbit trilogy was poor.

LOTR on the other hand is a great trilogy.

The Hobbit should never have been a trilogy, imo. They also ruined it with excessive CGI.

Two Towers is definitely the best of the three, all three are classics of their genre though. I think they done well in leaving certain things out (maybe it's just me, but the Battle of the Shire) always seemed a bit out of place to me, in the films it would've just felt like they were dragging it out).

I always get bored and annoyed at how stodgy the bits with Frodo and Sam are, when they're on their own, and then I remember that it's purposely made that way to express how hard their journey is.

Also, I have this horrendous fear they'll try and make a film out of The Silmarillion, which would be horrible. The whole Melkor/Numenor/Beren stories make good stories, but not necessarily good films.

Several moments in the trilogy genuinely give me goosebumps, no matter how many times I watch it.

The entire battle of Helms deep, is just scene after scene, culminating in the "to the king" charge of the Rohirrim. Easily the best part of the trilogy.
Aragorn's speech at the black gate "for Frodo"
Aragorn's "my friends, you bow to no one"

Also, it pissed me off that Frodo gets all the credit, when it's Sam who's really top boy. If I was Sam, I'd have volleyed the moaning little c**t clean into the fires of mount doom, when he started his shit at the end. Then I'd have went home and pumped Rosie Cotton senseless.

Also, I have this horrendous fear they'll try and make a film out of The Silmarillion, which would be horrible. The whole Melkor/Numenor/Beren stories make good stories, but not necessarily good films.

https://moviepilot.com/posts/1311339/amp

Great thread, Legolas and Gimli's friendship is the GOAT moment

Everyone else around them fighting for their lives whilst those two just waste everyone with ease whilst shouting to each other how many they've killed 

Even watching it back still get a bit fearful for the Hobbits at the start when the Wraiths are looking for them, so vulnerable, but then Aragon shows up in the pub and you know they're safe as sound.

Always feel a tinge of disappointment in the ROTK when the undead army win the battle, a bit like using a cheat in a video game, you win aye but there's no real achievement to it. Re-reading the books just makes me want to go for a really long walk

16 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Several moments in the trilogy genuinely give me goosebumps, no matter how many times I watch it.

The entire battle of Helms deep, is just scene after scene, culminating in the "to the king" charge of the Rohirrim. Easily the best part of the trilogy.
Aragorn's speech at the black gate "for Frodo"
Aragorn's "my friends, you bow to no one"

Also, it pissed me off that Frodo gets all the credit, when it's Sam who's really top boy. If I was Sam, I'd have volleyed the moaning little c**t clean into the fires of mount doom, when he started his shit at the end. Then I'd have went home and pumped Rosie Cotton senseless.

:lol: Spot on. Frodo just faints all the time then goes in wanky wee huffs. Sam literally carries the c**t. The worst is the betrayal by Frodo when they're climbing the steps in ROTK. He just turns on his pal, believing Gollum's obvious bullshit. Frodo is a c**t.

Anyway, talking of top moments, it has to be this (goosebumps all over the place);

Also this (I mind tearing up slightly in the cinema during the slow motion bit);

Archived