The Lord of the Rings

jamamafegan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth noting Frodo was meant to be getting corrupted by the The Ring, and the closer to Mordor he got, the stronger it's effect on him was.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth noting Frodo was meant to be getting corrupted by the The Ring, and the closer to Mordor he got, the stronger it's effect on him was.

Aye I get that, but he's still a wee c**t

6 hours ago, Oleksandr said:

Always feel a tinge of disappointment in the ROTK when the undead army win the battle, a bit like using a cheat in a video game, you win aye but there's no real achievement to it.

Or supporting Celtic.

I don't think there's ever been a single person that watched the films that doesn't gather that. Regardless, he's a moaning little c**t.

Ride of the Rohirrim as someone linked above is the best scene of the trilogy for me. I remember watching it at the cinema and genuinely had goosebumps and fucking buzzing when the camera pans up and you see just how many horses there are! Great that Theoden got his moment and when the horses just start bulldozing the orcs it was absolute scenes!

I had read the books countless times before the films came out and that scene in the book never overly stood out for me so they filmed that perfectly. Great cinematic moment.

The finest book and cinematic trilogy of all time.

An absolute masterpiece.

There are several scenes which leave me blubbering like a wreck whenever I see them.

The crowning of Aragorn, when he says "you bow to no-one" and then every single person in Minas Tirith bows to the four hobbits.

Gandalf reassuring Pippin about death.

"For Frodo."

"Well, I'm back."

Sam resolving to carry Frodo up the final slopes of Orodruin.

My dad read LOTR to me and my brother when we were young, and we spoke many times of it, after I read it myself. So one of my most treasured moments was taking the old duffer to see it upon its first release.

I'll never forget, during the introduction, showing the Ring getting made and Sauron stomping around, turning to my side and seeing my dad with eyes like saucers and jaw open, absolutely lost in something he'd waited 30 or 40 years to see on screen.

Regarding the films themselves, my desert island discs choice is definitely Fellowship. The whole Moria section is sensational, absolutely sensational.

I see someone mentioned Tom Bombadil. Glad that shit wasn't in the films. Would have added f**k all. Obviously they couldn't include everything from the books and had to change some stuff unless each film was to be 10 hours long. However there were a couple of things I was slightly disappointed not to see. Like most folk the Scouring of the Shire was one. The others are the omission of Prince Imrahil and Sam sailing away to the Gray Havens.

P.S. Star Wars trilogy is better

I liked frodos heel turn at the end. He's like f**k it, the ring's mine. Watched thru the extended trilogy a month or so ago, usually just watch it a couple of hours at a time. Saruman's death is pretty extreme.

Of course all the scouring of the Shire stuff would have been good, but the one thing I regret they missed out is the Fog on the Barrow Downs section.
As a keen visitor to standing stones and stone circles all over Scotland, I think that could have been tremendous. I think that's where the sword came from that killed the Witch King, isn't it?

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Of course all the scouring of the Shire stuff would have been good, but the one thing I regret they missed out is the Fog on the Barrow Downs section.
As a keen visitor to standing stones and stone circles all over Scotland, I think that could have been tremendous. I think that's where the sword came from that killed the Witch King, isn't it?

Yeah, the swords were forged with the purpose of hurting the Witch King himself coincidentally, I've always wondered if it was intended to show that Bombadil knew they'd need it, or whether it was just coincidence.

It would've been nice to have had that section, probably with a non-singing Bombadil, but I can see why they left it/him out. Hes an incredibly vague character and I'm not sure how they'd get that across in film, and it'd be about 20 minutes more added to the film for no real result.

11 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I attempted to read the LOTR but struggled a bit. It's a complex book. I hated Tom, found him incredibly annoying and just didn't get what he was all about. I'm relieved he had no part in the films.

Think Bombadil was meant to be one of the first sentient beings of Middle Earth. 

Archived