British Nationalist Media Hysteria re #ScotRef

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

:lol:

Raging, about something that has nothing to do with him.  Amazing. via Wings.

:lol::lol::lol: 

That's the Yea campaign sorted. Get his coupon put up on billboards everywhere.

20 minutes ago, Owsley said:

Just for the record, Allison Pearson's original heading read " Nicola Sturgeon is a liar and a traitor - off with her head".

After a bit of a stooshie online, it was changed to "Nicola Sturgeon - another treacherous queen of Scots - has miscalculated".

She then claimed she knew nothing of the heading, that it was done by someone else at the paper and that she may sue...

It's usually a copy editor rather than the journalist that adds the headline, so she is probably telling the truth.

It amazed me last time how so many English people seemed to take wanting independence as some sort of outright attack on them and how many of them took it so utterly personally. Mental.

It used to surprise me how stupid the general population is for just believing anything they're told. But it has long since stopped surprising me. People are afraid and lazy.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

Again, this a little off topic but, following on from the brilliant work of Christmas watch @EasterWatch is gold:

I always thought it was more chocolate you got inside an Easter Egg. Now it's a whole Muslim? What next, jihad inside Kinder Eggs?

49 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

That's the thing. Both my grandparents are middle class, reasonably well off. They've bought The Daily Mail all their lives and I'm not convinced they're as conservative as most other readers of the paper. But, they take the utter nonsense spouted on the front of it as gospel, and I'm sure there's thousands others like them. I don't want to call it brainwashing, but it is a massive issue.

my parents are both working class, my dad watches the news and reads papers and believes what he sees and reads, he voted NO  , my mum just can't understand it at all but yet still voted no because she felt "it was too uncertain", waste of a vote in my eyes, tried my best to explain the pros and cons yet it didn't sink in.

my grandparents were a straight up no, it frustrates the life out me , most young people want change that we will live through.

54 minutes ago, Fide said:

That is a massive problem.  How many 60+ people in Tesco, on the bus etc do you see with a copy of the Daily Mail?  And that may well be their only source of news.

That's scary.

Steady oan Fide.
You're tarring every auld person wi' the same brush.
The last time I bought a newspaper was when John f**king Major won the General Election and that was efter the papers saying that Labour would win in a landslide.
I've never bought a paper since.
I read the headlines on the BBC website (+ some yankee ones + RT)
and of course the excellent comments and posts on P&B political threads :thumsup2

On the Sources issue, Sky News had one on Monday from Kevin Hague. A graphic along the lines of - Scotland is so shite we have to subsidise it by this amount,type thing. Regular readers of Wings will know all about him. He got firmly put in his place on twitter yesterday from Richard J Murphy, an economics professor from City University London. Kevin apparently sells dog food for a living. Ach, use his figures for Sky News, why ever not?

57 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

Not that I can recall. If we're talking about the bus then the free Metro seems to be the newspaper of choice.

The Metro is owned by the Daily Mail Group so it's quite possible some of the rhetoric the Mail is famed for might end up seeping into the Metro if it hasn't already.

Anyway, as you were...

46 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

There is a whole section of society just like them.  My parents are exactly the same, except that they grew up and still live in a working class area.

The Daily mail, The Express etc.... are the truth that they believe.

There has to be a concerted and tireless effort to work against the outlets.  I've hoped for a long time that when indyref2 was announced that a strategy for this was in place.

IMO we need to build and support the media opinion from our side.  They will never give us balance.

We simply must buy the National and encourage people we know to do likewise.  We must share articles on WOS, Scotgoespop, Bella Caledonia etc...I don't really give a shit if the rev. is a twat on twitter, his website provides a very valuable source for critique of media lies and how they are shared.

There is a whole lot of ignorance in this country that still believe the MSM in this country, without question.  They won't seek truth or balance so we should be trying to force them to.

Come on, man. Consecutive sentences. Really?

There is no such thing as impartial news, and it's actually an exceptionally tough thing to produce - probably impossible given human nature. Yes, the likes of the Mail and Express are a disgrace. Those people reading won't be voting Yes anyway, just like people reading the National won't be voting No. People consume media to confirm their pre-conceived biases. Everyone is brainwashed to some degree, in the younger generation it might not be the Daily Mail or even a newspaper at all, but it's still happening somewhere - usually Facebook or Twitter.

Moaning about media is probably the most tedious aspect of referendums, and that's some achievement. The only one I will accept is the BBC who should at least pretend to be impartial, but when their Political Editor is being censored for unfair reporting on Jeremy Corbyn it shows it's nothing personal to Scottish independence. 

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

Come on, man. Consecutive sentences. Really?

There is no such thing as impartial news, and it's actually an exceptionally tough thing to produce - probably impossible given human nature. Yes, the likes of the Mail and Express are a disgrace. Those people reading won't be voting Yes anyway, just like people reading the National won't be voting No. People consume media to confirm their pre-conceived biases. Everyone is brainwashed to some degree, in the younger generation it might not be the Daily Mail or even a newspaper at all, but it's still happening somewhere - usually Facebook or Twitter.

Moaning about media is probably the most tedious aspect of referendums, and that's some achievement. The only one I will accept is the BBC who should at least pretend to be impartial, but when their Political Editor is being censored for unfair reporting on Jeremy Corbyn it shows it's nothing personal to Scottish independence. 

I'm offering that buying the National would increase it's circulation and would make a small in road in the need for representation of the Yes side in the MSM.  Not that we must believe everything written in it.

There is a cyclical nature of news consumption that people read a newspaper, which installs a bias, then they read that newspaper for ever more to confirm that bias.

Newspapers will always write from their own political bias.  While I accept that, I don't accept that we should simply accept it and shut our mouth.  In lieu of a un-biased publication, which I agree, we will never have, the only way to combat the the right-wing, unionist media is to try and push an opposite voice in the same arena.  It's no use simply boycotting newspapers because they are everywhere online, on twitter, Facebook, forums etc.... and Sky and the BBC will put it in your living room anyway.  

Kuenssberg shows a Right-wing bias.  That is quite consistent with Unionist leanings and is an indicator as to why she unfairly reported what Corbyn said and how she can cite "sources" to say whatever she, or her paymasters want to say, to attack Scottish Independence.

What's more tedious than moaning about the media during referendums is the sheer weight and relentless nature of negative news stories, on every imaginable topic, directed at the Yes side.

33 minutes ago, Owsley said:

This letter made it into the Metro recently. I'm typing this from the Seychelles on board my massive f**k off yacht. On tick of course, but look at the money heading my way.

Don don don.jpg

Not only is he out by a factor of 100,000, he's clearly got the population of Scotland wrong as even with his 100k factor miscalculation, it would be £6.5m each.

What a monumental fucking clown. Imagine walking around, living your life, thinking the Scottish government could actually just fire out £6m cheques to every single person in the country and they just don't bother.

These people exist ... and they vote.

Archived