British Nationalist Media Hysteria re #ScotRef

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They read the daily mail because they have those views.

Do they have those views then read the Daily Mail,or do they have those views because they read the Daily Mail ?

2 hours ago, jakedee said:

Do they have those views then read the Daily Mail,or do they have those views because they read the Daily Mail ?

The readers of any newspaper, be that the daily mail or the national, have particular views and read the paper that conforms to that view. No-one knows this more than the editorial team of the Sun, who just pick the party who they think will win the election.

In much the same way, is there anyone who reads Wings Over Scotland regularly who doesn't believe in Scottish Independence?

Probably half of the audience for internet stuff (like Wings Over Scotland) is people who don't agree with the viewpoint, but want to express their rage about it. Surely there aren't many people daft enough to buy the National or Mail purely to get het up about it, while contributing to the paper's profits. Surely.

Incidentally, I've been selling newspapers for the past couple of months, and the Mail is by far and away the biggest seller. Any copies of the National are always returned, along with pretty much everything else other than the Sun or Record. I'm not sure if I've ever sold a paper to anyone under the age of, say, 30. Make of that what you will.

18 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Probably half of the audience for internet stuff (like Wings Over Scotland) is people who don't agree with the viewpoint, but want to express their rage about it. Surely there aren't many people daft enough to buy the National or Mail purely to get het up about it, while contributing to the paper's profits. Surely.

Incidentally, I've been selling newspapers for the past couple of months, and the Mail is by far and away the biggest seller. Any copies of the National are always returned, along with pretty much everything else other than the Sun or Record. I'm not sure if I've ever sold a paper to anyone under the age of, say, 30. Make of that what you will.

Natural selection in action.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 00:52, git-intae-thum said:

F@ck me. Unwashed Southern tw@t in his static caravan says we r no getting another referendum.

Aw well, best pack it in then guys eh.

Bolt ya nugget :lol:

You made me listen to it and to see what a static caravan looks like. No idea who he is but the use of the terms "North Britain" "Separatists" " Caledonia" suggest he is looking for the usual over the top reaction to the case against Scottish independence. I don't agree with much of his analysis but it is largely what many Unionist Scots think so it gives time to come up with answers for the next one. he did seem unsure about Brexit so he is not all bad.

14 hours ago, jakedee said:

Both.

We all gravitate towards reading that confirms our views/prejudices.

These organs will absolutely exaggerate such outlooks though.

The likes of the Daily Mail will both reflect and help shape how its readers see the world.

BBC 4 today - an absolutely ridiculous profile of the Berwickshire constituency.

They did the old vox pop - interviewing different voters in the constituency. No surprise that the voters they found were:

* Tory

* Labour

* ex-SNP voting Tory

* Labour who didn't like the SNP

The last one was almost encouraged to say they were voting tactically and that "if you're voting tactically there is only one choice in this constituency is there?"

Apart from the slanted questioning there was clear no representation of either the SNP or the Lib Dems - it was clearly a piece designed to promote tactical voting for the Tories in the constituency.

And there is no point in complaining as it just won't be taken serioiusly.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

And there is no point in complaining as it just won't be taken serioiusly.

My wife just mentioned that to me. She was absolutely fuming, but I must admit I just thought – that's the BBC, what do you expect?

Archived