A question for Yes voters.The EURO?

Romeo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharing the uk pound is a non starter in case their economy goes pear shaped post brexit. Personally not fussed if we use euro or print our own. Quite like idea of our own currency but there should be a national debate on what it's called. Ideally the most mental left field idea should be the winner

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Salmond just suggested to a caller on LBC that we'll be going down the route of using our own currency :thumsup2

We should call it the real pound.  That would cause apoplexy.

6 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Surely Scotland is almost uniquely placed if they decided to go with the idea of own currency.

Most countries have a single style currency distributed by one bank.

There are currently 3 banks that print currency almost exclusively for the Scottish market (RBS, BoS and Clydesdale),

which if Scotland is not using the pound will want a currency to circulate.

Put out to tender the printing and circulation of the Groat to the lowest bidder and the physical side of an independent currency is sorted.

A. quite a good idea actually. Make our greedy bass banks actually do something to prove their worth to the new country.

B. The Sturgeon has a good fiscally secure solid sounding bearing about it. Yes.....100 Salmonds in a Sturgeon. Couldnae see too many objections with that 8)

Either that or have our central bank in Stirling and call it the real pound stirling:whistle

Am getting ma coat.

On 15/03/2017 at 14:19, Owsley said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we don't meet the criteria to join the euro anyway. So why does it keep getting mentioned, mainly by MSM Unionists, that we'll have to have the euro. Aaah!

Exactly! This is yet another example of telling a lie often enough.

A currency has to be in the ERM2 for 2 years before a country becomes eligible to join the Euro. This is is entirely optional.

Our own currency is clearly the best option.

39 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

AIUI you can't join the Euro if your deficit is above 3%. Scotland's is closer to 9%.

We also don't have our own central bank which is a prerequisite. I don't really know why people still come out with the 'Scotland will be forced to join the Euro' crap.

The whole point is that we could choose to adopt whichever currency we saw fit and whichever makes most sense in the circumstances.

We then build and shape the country's future to suit its needs.

Archived