A question for Yes voters.The EURO?

Romeo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ftk said:

Could ask trump to join the USA instead of eu then use the dollar?

You don't have to ask the USA to use our dollar as your official currency. Several independent countries use it. Ecuador is the most prominent I think.

The dismissal of monetary policy in this thread is incredible.  Currency/monetary issues might be the most important policy any government takes in it's long term affect on society as a whole. Odd attitude. I'd want that issue answered 100% before I voted if I were Scottish.

I'm struggling to think of a more important long term issue a government faces. Immigration? War/peace in a few certain situations?

11 hours ago, Fide said:

To be honest, I couldn't give a chimpanzee's arsehole if the currency in an iScotland was Irn Bru bottle caps, we'll make whatever situation we're in work.

Same

10 hours ago, Antlion said:

Has John Humphries not heard about the ERM II, or was he simply instructed not to talk about that? BBC battle mode in full gear already, perhaps.

They never stopped

11 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Pretty much this. Who actually cares what the currency you're using is called? Very few, I suspect.

10 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

In an independent Scotland we would probably use our own currency while currency from more stable economies would also be accepted i.e. you'll be able to drown your sorrows in Groats, GBP's and Euros.

10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'd take the euro. Not done Ireland any harm

Surely the pound in your pocket is still worth a pound (or whatever it's called).

It's a red herring. I couldn't care less if we used the Pound, Bawbee, Smackeroonie or Euro. I'd say an independent currency should be the first option with a new central bank. If we decide to join the EU and the conditions are right for the Euro, then who cares? I'm not going to get upset because there's no plastic Clydesdale fivers any more.

The sooner we get rid of currency called the pound the better.  I asked the butcher for a pound of mince the other day and he filled the bag with half a kilo, charging four pounds something. Madness.

Whatever the currency, it'll be completely different from the one we have now anyway, unless folk are genuinely going to suggest that we'll keep all the BoS / RBS / Clydesdale notes in circulation and that they'll genuinely not be accepted outside of Scotland anymore.

15 hours ago, Fide said:

To be honest, I couldn't give a chimpanzee's arsehole if the currency in an iScotland was Irn Bru bottle caps, we'll make whatever situation we're in work.

Absolutely fucking staggering levels of economic illiteracy and naivety on display here.

Of course currency matters, it dictates the monetary policy available to a central bank that can be used to help control inflation, growth, unemployment, interest rates, exchange rates etc. It's not a case of just picking something out of the air and saying "that will do, we'll make it work". Your wording is pretty worrying as I can't see us winning a referendum with lines like that being trotted out. 

The Euro has advantages but I don't think it's for us. It means a currency union with a wide range of countries, most of which have different economic needs to Scotland. It means a European Central Bank effectively deciding Scotland's monetarty policy. Particularly in times of recession or low growth, high unemployment or high inflation, you need to have the available monetary tools to try alleviate that, I don't think the Euro allows for that. Would much prefer us to have our own currency.

4 hours ago, Deplorable said:

The dismissal of monetary policy in this thread is incredible.  Currency/monetary issues might be the most important policy any government takes in it's long term affect on society as a whole. Odd attitude. I'd want that issue answered 100% before I voted if I were Scottish.

I'm struggling to think of a more important long term issue a government faces. War/peace in a few certain situations?

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you on something. 

25 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Absolutely fucking staggering levels of economic illiteracy and naivety on display here.

Of course currency matters, it dictates the monetary policy available to a central bank that can be used to help control inflation, growth, unemployment, interest rates, exchange rates etc. It's not a case of just picking something out of the air and saying "that will do, we'll make it work". Your wording is pretty worrying as I can't see us winning a referendum with lines like that being trotted out. 

The Euro has advantages but I don't think it's for us. It means a currency union with a wide range of countries, most of which have different economic needs to Scotland. It means a European Central Bank effectively deciding Scotland's monetarty policy. Particularly in times of recession or low growth, high unemployment or high inflation, you need to have the available monetary tools to try alleviate that, I don't think the Euro allows for that. Would much prefer us to have our own currency.

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you on something. 

I don't think people are saying it's not important, just that there are options and it's not the insurmountable problem as portrayed by Unionists.

Don't confuse the 'single Market' with the EU.

The Scottish government's position is: if there is s soft Brexit and we are still in the EU, well OK, then. However if there is a hard Brexit with no access to the single market (as seems to be the case so far) then we want a referendum to protect Scotland's Interests.

Teresa has said 'hard Brexit, no single market'.

So why not get independence and then apply to Join the EEA?

Scotland would be in the 'single market' and there will be no obligation to join the Euro.

We already meet (most of) the conditions to join the EEA, as all of our products etc . are to EU standards. This is our fast-track into  the 'Single Market' and we can worry about the 'full application to the EU' later.

This is the best result to keep both the Yes+Remain and the Yes+Leave onside and still voting Yes.

Don't confuse the 'single Market' with the EU.
The Scottish government's position is: if there is s soft Brexit and we are still in the EU, well OK, then. However if there is a hard Brexit with no access to the single market (as seems to be the case so far) then we want a referendum to protect Scotland's Interests.
Teresa has said 'hard Brexit, no single market'.
So why not get independence and then apply to Join the EEA?
Scotland would be in the 'single market' and there will be no obligation to join the Euro.
We already meet (most of) the conditions to join the EEA, as all of our products etc . are to EU standards. This is our fast-track into  the 'Single Market' and we can worry about the 'full application to the EU' later.
This is the best result to keep both the Yes+Remain and the Yes+Leave onside and still voting Yes.

Agreed

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Is there an accurate estimate of the additional costs we'd incur by setting up and running our own currency?

Surely Scotland is almost uniquely placed if they decided to go with the idea of own currency.

Most countries have a single style currency distributed by one bank.

There are currently 3 banks that print currency almost exclusively for the Scottish market (RBS, BoS and Clydesdale),

which if Scotland is not using the pound will want a currency to circulate.

Put out to tender the printing and circulation of the Groat to the lowest bidder and the physical side of an independent currency is sorted.

I don't want us to share the pound with the UK. If the SNP go for that option again it's finished. That juat allows the UK to say "no you cant" like last time. I don't think going for the Euro is a good idea because I think a lot of people are instantly disgusted with the thought of using the Euro.

In my eyes the best option is to suggest using our own currency. How that can and will be achieved has to be made crystal clear by the Yes camp to have any hope of getting people on our side. Of course the opposition will always try to pick holes in it so it's always going to be difficult. However the UK nor the EU can't turn around and say we can't because this time we're not relying on others, we're doing it ourselves if that makes sense.

19 hours ago, Romeo said:

Not had time to listen to my usual dose of radio 4 today but John Humphries was banging on about us having the Euro (being forced to have the Euro) when I was on the way to work this morning.

I don't see the issue, if we are in the EU, we have the euro.

Other thoughts?

Pros & Cons?

Humphries is slavering. Lots of EU members, new and old, don't have the Euro and won't be adopting it any time soon.

As for me... I don't really care. I like using the Euro when abroad and don't like changing different currencies though am happy with Sterling or ScotPound.

As to EU membership - yes, mostly. Though I would accept EEA membership a la Norway as long as free-movement of people and residency of EU nationals here is guaranteed. With EU family and friends, that's a no-brainer for me.

Interesting though that the 'no borders' theme from the Unionists in 2014 has become 'yes to borders- with the EU, with Ireland and with currency. Some internationalism that.

Ultimately, we should have our own debate, and vote if needed, on EU membership after independence. God knows why Sillars can't see this.

Archived