No Voters - what say you?

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The export figures you are referring to are collected by the Scottish Government and published by them. The collection methods for the figures ask the companies exporting to specify the location of the customer so if someone was sending exports by freight to the EU via England (a lot of companies must do that, given that England is directly between Scotland and Europe) that would be recorded as being an export from Scotland to the EU, not an export to the rUK.

Even if you don't believe the statistics collected in this, then you'd surely have some examples of Scottish companies sending exports to England to be shipped on?

Since it is the unionist politicians and press making the claim that the rUK makes up the vast majority of Scottish exports, I am gonna throw this right back at ye:)

A container of whisky distilled in Scotland, bottled in Fife, driven south and sat for a month in a warehouse, put on a ship at Tilbury for shipment to Hamburg.

Can we conclusively prove that container is always recorded as a Scottish export to the EU?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think that's a lot of absolute nonsense. I have a SIPP and am about 5 years away from retiring.  I will still have the same access to markets that I have now and if I do so will all the major fund managers.

That would be terrifically relevant if anyone was debating access to the markets. As nobody was though your point has no relevance.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Hi Drifter, can you answer one question from me? Do you think that Scotland would lose more financial jobs out of Europe than they would within the EU?
My thinking is, major financial institutions & traders will move to a market more suited to their needs, that means City of London losing many trade houses, or people within, to trade more centrally with Frankfurt & Paris, I think Edinburgh in the EU would be a more pragmatic decision.
Don't get me wrong, I think the whole betting on futures & people's lives is a horrendous practice, but, why do you think London is better than Edinburgh?

Its possible London will lose financial jobs as a result of Brexit. I'm unsure of the relevance to my point though which was that Scotland will lose financial sector jobs if we leave the UK. I think thats inevitable as I expect the likes of Standard Life to relocate most of their operations somewhere else, whether that be London, Paris or Dublin or whatever. If Scotland could deliver staying in the UK immediately on English departure it could benefit from that but nobody seriously thinks that is realistically achievable do they?

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Scotland will lose financial sector jobs if we leave the UK.

That's a statement of fact as opposed to conjecture. Do you have conclusive proof of this? And by that I mean an official statement from financial sector companies.

3 minutes ago, Fide said:

That's a statement of fact as opposed to conjecture. Do you have conclusive proof of this? And by that I mean an official statement from financial sector companies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11086748/Standard-Life-statement-on-Scottish-Independence-in-full.html

Try that one.

I don't buy it financially at all. Huge deficit and the North Sea Oil industry being a mess are my main concerns. I don't see the defence and finance jobs being maintained to the same degree, when a huge amount of their base is built on providing a service to the whole of the UK as opposed to just here. I don't want to be taxed to the hilt to make up the any deficit post indy, despite earning a salary that only barely creeks into the higher tax band of the latest rises. I don't see the point in attempting to cut anything with our biggest trade partner. The EU + NATO stuff just looks like more hodge podge. I don't like the uncertainty of it, its off putting to businesses to come here when theres a constant threat of a referendum.

To be honest, theres no chance I'd vote yes.

5 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

That is from 2014. Prior to Brexit. I suspect attitudes may have changed.

1 minute ago, Fide said:

So one company's statement from a pre-Brexit UK?

Try again champ.

What exactly were you expecting? Clearly there are no statements this time yet. We havent even officially got a "this time" yet and the idea was only put forward 24 hours ago. There is absolutely no reason to believe Standard Life's position will be any different now though other than the potential they may prefer to operate in the EC rather than London. It will still mean moving out of Scotland at least in part.

And "champ"? I see the idea of a thread for civil comment didnt last long did it? Plus ca change.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

What exactly were you expecting? Clearly there are no statements this time yet. We havent even officially got a "this time" yet and the idea was only put forward 24 hours ago. There is absolutely no reason to believe Standard Life's position will be any different now though other than the potential they may prefer to operate in the EC rather than London. It will still mean moving out of Scotland at least in part.

And "champ"? I see the idea of a thread for civil comment didnt last long did it? Plus ca change.

You asserted a fact.  You couldn't back it up.  Don't try and hide behind "waaah, vile cybernat".

2 minutes ago, Fide said:

You asserted a fact.  You couldn't back it up.  Don't try and hide behind "waaah, vile cybernat".

Actually it was an opinion I was asked for which I backed up as much as anyone could reasonably expect given the stage we are at. You couldnt resist resorting to VT speak. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I don't buy it financially at all. Huge deficit and the North Sea Oil industry being a mess are my main concerns. I don't see the defence and finance jobs being maintained to the same degree, when a huge amount of their base is built on providing a service to the whole of the UK as opposed to just here. I don't want to be taxed to the hilt to make up the any deficit post indy, despite earning a salary that only barely creeks into the higher tax band of the latest rises. I don't see the point in attempting to cut anything with our biggest trade partner. The EU + NATO stuff just looks like more hodge podge. I don't like the uncertainty of it, its off putting to businesses to come here when theres a constant threat of a referendum.

To be honest, theres no chance I'd vote yes.

The too wee, too poor argument.

You are of course referring the deficit of Scotland in union, not an iScotlands

Its a deficit that funnily enough has only really risen in the last couple of years and is in part due to taking a share of the UK govts catastrophic public debt.

That is a debt that iScotland may well not have piled up should we have been independent and legally will have no obligation to take on when we become independent.

Up until the last couple of years and for nearly all of the previous 40 years (probably the last 100 years) Scotland has paid in substantially more than we have taken out.

This is a wealthy country. It is tragic how many folk have been/ continue to be.....duped.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wooh people just wooh,skyline was asked to provide something and he did,and he has explained there stance might be different

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/19/standard-life-sounds-brexit-warning

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Actually it was an opinion I was asked for which I backed up as much as anyone could reasonably expect given the stage we are at. You couldnt resist resorting to VT speak. Disappointing, but not surprising.

You said " Scotland will lose financial sector jobs if we leave the UK. "  If you'd have prefaced that with "I think", that's an opinion.

What you proffered was a matter of fact.

Sorry that's irked you so.

Just now, Fide said:

You said " Scotland will lose financial sector jobs if we leave the UK. "  If you'd have prefaced that with "I think", that's an opinion.

Still no need for the "champ" patter.

2 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

This is a thread for genuine debate and no insults.

Aye, agree with that but it was only Alistair Darling's doom from '79 that I was laughing at. I'll apologise to him next time he posts.

You really shouldn't need a hint that he's giving an opinion.