No Voters - what say you?

jamamafegan

5 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

Why are some unionists so tiresomely aggressive?

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

So much for the kinder politics. I can't debate with someone who can't be civil.

I, for one, have never faced any sort of opprobrium on the politics threads.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Quite a harsh approach to just value people based solely upon their economic contribution...

Why not just open it up then and have free movement of people from anywhere in the world? Why only the EU?

Wow. I think we're in agreement.

3 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Why do you want free movement of people?

I have a direct report colleague that, despite years of loyal and diligent work does not have the £800 to invest in citizenship papers and she is fearful that one mistake in the multi page form will mean another £800.

I'll put you in touch with her if you want to debate on a human one to one basis.

I'd dismissed yesterday's Gordon Brown intervention on all sorts of grounds – pointless, shameless and blind to Brexit – but there's a really enlightening article by Richard Murphy of City University on its positive and negative practicalities. Well worth a read from No and Yes voters alike.

Why do you want free movement of people?

For many reasons. On a personal level, it's allowed to me to live and work in both Italy and Sweden which has enriched me as a person and, I would like to think, allowed me to contribute positively to society there and also promote Scotland whilst I was there - loads of people I befriended and met have visited Scotland having heard me talk about it when I was there.

I think we are a more tolerant, respectful society due to free movement of people - as a primary teacher in London, I have (I think) 12/13 different nationalities in my class and I think we will see the benefits of this in years to come as children who have grown up in this environment develop into adults who have routinely grown up respecting and embracing other cultures and see it as the norm to grown up here but with a knowledge of other cultures.

Economically, immigration is a benefit too and many sectors need immigrants to flourish. Indeed, it's incredible the under reporting of the difficulties in English education at the moment with regards to teacher recruitment and retention - my school (an attractive, outstanding school) wouldn't be able to function without immigrant workers. Many other sectors are the same.

Finally, it offers incredible benefits in terms of travel an understanding of the world around us. Hopefully the generation who have grown up alongside children from other cultures will embrace this and prove to be more tolerant than the generation who embrace farage style rhetoric and worry about hearing foreign accents on the train.

For many reasons. On a personal level, it's allowed to me to live and work in both Italy and Sweden which has enriched me as a person and, I would like to think, allowed me to contribute positively to society there and also promote Scotland whilst I was there - loads of people I befriended and met have visited Scotland having heard me talk about it when I was there.

I think we are a more tolerant, respectful society due to free movement of people - as a primary teacher in London, I have (I think) 12/13 different nationalities in my class and I think we will see the benefits of this in years to come as children who have grown up in this environment develop into adults who have routinely grown up respecting and embracing other cultures and see it as the norm to grown up here but with a knowledge of other cultures.

Economically, immigration is a benefit too and many sectors need immigrants to flourish. Indeed, it's incredible the under reporting of the difficulties in English education at the moment with regards to teacher recruitment and retention - my school (an attractive, outstanding school) wouldn't be able to function without immigrant workers. Many other sectors are the same.

Finally, it offers incredible benefits in terms of travel an understanding of the world around us. Hopefully the generation who have grown up alongside children from other cultures will embrace this and prove to be more tolerant than the generation who embrace farage style rhetoric and worry about hearing foreign accents on the train.

Superb post [emoji106]

Outstanding post, it's this sort of thought process that needs to be put out there as positive reaction to the negativity of the Leave campaign.
We are lucky to have people like you involved in the education process.

9 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I'd dismissed yesterday's Gordon Brown intervention on all sorts of grounds – pointless, shameless and blind to Brexit – but there's a really enlightening article by Richard Murphy of City University on its positive and negative practicalities. Well worth a read from No and Yes voters alike.

There has been some really great articles by professor Murphy.

Providing clarity through the murk of spin and hyperbole.

2 hours ago, JMDP said:

Good post. Many of today's kids are growing up with better attitudes towards people who are 'different' than I did - be they from other cultures or disabled and gay kids. Still work to be done but by and large the young people of today see different cultures mixing as completely natural, which of course it is. Probably also why most seem to embrace independence within the EU.

An English teaching Union rep told me that education in England is like the 'Wild West' at the moment.

Outstanding post, it's this sort of thought process that needs to be put out there as positive reaction to the negativity of the Leave campaign.

We are lucky to have people like you involved in the education process.

He's lucky to have a skill set which means he is immune to the threat of his wages being driven down by an over supply of labour or his employment sector being uprooted to another country.

He'll mend those left behind by such global forces though eh?

The deliberate simplification of objections to free movement as being motivated by an aversion to hearing foreign voices is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

He's lucky to have a skill set which means he is immune to the threat of his wages being driven down by an over supply of labour or his employment sector being uprooted to another country.
He'll mend those left behind by such global forces though eh?
The deliberate simplification of objections to free movement as being motivations by an aversion to hearing foreign voices is ridiculous.

I look forward to oaksoft's reply to this.