How would/ will you vote?

Fide

The vote  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The landscape has changed and hopefully some of the no voters from last time will look down south and ask themselves if that's really what they want to be associated with. The weakest in society vilified, fear used as a method of control, helping the rich get richer being portrayed as normal and acceptable. 

We shouldn't just base our vote on a short term financial uncertainty. The older generation need to trust the youngsters a bit more. Was Apple. Microsoft, or closer to home Rockstar North or BrewDog set up by old guys sitting at home being afraid  of the future? No, it was young folk believing in themselves. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They say that this vote causes divisions, I would strongly disagree and say it causes people that have a disliking for one another to come together for the same outcome that they want.

For instance it brings together both sets of Dundee teams fans, the Arabs did not let the side down and voted Yes and followed in their better looking, more successful rivals, the Dees. I tip my hat.

It also brings together Rangers fans and (most, not all) Aberdonians both being massive shite bags, arm in arm and voting No. Who would of seen that love-in coming?

So lets celebrate how this vote brings folks usually divided, together!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

The landscape has changed and hopefully some of the no voters from last time will look down south and ask themselves if that's really what they want to be associated with. The weakest in society vilified, fear used as a method of control, helping the rich get richer being portrayed as normal and acceptable. 

We shouldn't just base our vote on a short term financial uncertainty. The older generation need to trust the youngsters a bit more. Was Apple. Microsoft, or closer to home Rockstar North or BrewDog set up by old guys sitting at home being afraid  of the future? No, it was young folk believing in themselves. 

"BUT WE UR EH PEEPUL"

I voted Yes in 2014 probably more with my heart than my head as the economic case simply didn't stack up back then and there were too many unanswered questions.

I'm not sure how I'd vote this time around.

The key for me will be the Yes campaign producing a comprehensive and robust financial appraisal (as far as can be reasonably expected) that stands up to close scrutiny.

I'm not interested in people saying we will be okay or others claiming that we are stronger together etc. That's just all rhetoric and nonsense.

I'll vote on the basis of who presents the strongest economic case.

Unfortunately that means I'll likely need to do most of the research myself as neither side will present an impartial analysis and that will leave me making a slightly better informed guess.

Just now, fueradejuego said:

I voted Yes in 2014 probably more with my heart than my head as the economic case simply didn't stack up back then and there were too many unanswered questions.

The key for me will be the Yes campaign producing a comprehensive and robust financial appraisal (as far as can be reasonably expected) that stands up to close scrutiny.

I'm not interested in people saying we will be okay or others claiming that we are stronger together etc. That's just all rhetoric and nonsense.

Unfortunately that means I'll likely need to do most of the research myself as neither side will present an impartial analysis and that will leave me making a slightly better informed guess.

i've got a rhetorection

2 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

Guid point.
Voting SNP is a means tae an end.
Independence - then vote for whoever.
Easy peasy.

Nah. I'm happy for the coalition to be broad. That guy on here tabling support for independence at the Lib Dem conference sets the cat amongst the pigeons and hopefully the same happens with Labour meaning they can't portray themselves as united against independence. Already people are attacking Corbyn for being lukewarm at best about opposing it.

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Nah. I'm happy for the coalition to be broad. That guy on here tabling support for independence at the Lib Dem conference sets the cat amongst the pigeons and hopefully the same happens with Labour meaning they can't portray themselves as united against independence. Already people are attacking Corbyn for being lukewarm at best about opposing it.

So would I be IF other parties were pro indy.
As things stand, only SNP and Greens fit the bill.
Ergo vote SNP (or Green)

12 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is P&B at its finest...casual sectarianism blended with ignorance with an admixture of poor grammar.

how is that sectarian?

being a *** is a state of mind

1 hour ago, fueradejuego said:

That will be true of all issues, not just the economic one

1 hour ago, fueradejuego said:

I'd suggest you widen your research to look at smaller, comparable countries globally and ignore what folk trying to win your vote say. How do other countries do it? How could we get on? The No case is simple. Look at how things are. If you're happy with your lot then just vote No. Who on the no side forecast Brexit and it's impact? You can't map out every eventuality. I'd say to look at it in terms of how would we be best equipped to handle our finances and our affairs in general. 

"Too many unanswered questions" is the biggest bit of rhetoric going! Where do you draw the line? Why do we look at a short term economic picture as the be all and end all? The chance to be an independent country is a far more expansive issue than a narrow right-wing press agenda of terrifying folk about currency, borders, jobs etc. Look at the spin on Brexit. It's barely questioned that May and her crew will do what they can to negotiate a deal yet Scotland isn't extended the same courtesy. I'd be quite comfortable with the thought of Sturgeon being in charge of negotiating us through a tricky process of exiting the UK, what to do about currency, how to handle Europe. We can't expect answers to questions we don't yet know but we can put our faith, Yes or No, in what looks like the best option overall. 

31 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'd suggest you widen your research to look at smaller, comparable countries globally and ignore what folk trying to win your vote say. How do other countries do it? How could we get on? The No case is simple. Look at how things are. If you're happy with your lot then just vote No. Who on the no side forecast Brexit and it's impact? You can't map out every eventuality. I'd say to look at it in terms of how would we be best equipped to handle our finances and our affairs in general. 

"Too many unanswered questions" is the biggest bit of rhetoric going! Where do you draw the line? Why do we look at a short term economic picture as the be all and end all? The chance to be an independent country is a far more expansive issue than a narrow right-wing press agenda of terrifying folk about currency, borders, jobs etc. Look at the spin on Brexit. It's barely questioned that May and her crew will do what they can to negotiate a deal yet Scotland isn't extended the same courtesy. I'd be quite comfortable with the thought of Sturgeon being in charge of negotiating us through a tricky process of exiting the UK, what to do about currency, how to handle Europe. We can't expect answers to questions we don't yet know but we can put our faith, Yes or No, in what looks like the best option overall. 

I'll be ignoring what most people say in the issue because the majority will be either entrenched Yes or No voters who you can't reason with. That was the biggest problem with the 2014 vote. Vast numbers of people bouncing around in their own echo chambers.

If I could make one suggestion to people it would be to read considered viewpoints from the "other side" as such.

It is a more expansive issue but the economic issues are the most important ones for me. I don't expect to hear all the answers but I'd like to hear one side put all of the options on the table and detail the pro's and con's of both. The Yes campaign could really do this if Andrew Wilson's research is as thorough and meticulous as suggested. It may paint a bleak picture but it would be a worst case scenario countered against what potentially could be achieved. Similar idea to what Sir Tom Hunter helped produce last time out.

I suspect a moderate, sense of balance will be missing from this campaign though.

I find it interesting that there are a few folk on here claiming that they voted NO last time and will vote YES this time.  I know there is a long way to go but I think any result will be very tight, but the 5% swing we need is more than achievable given the potential changes in key demographics since last time.

Snapshot of my own family.

Me - Spoilt ballot last time/ Yes this time

Wife - No/Yes

Son - Did note vote/ Yes

Daughter 1 - Yes/Yes

Daughter 2 - Yes/Yes

Daughter 3 - Did not vote/Yes

Gran - No/RIP

Grandad - No/RIP

Mother-in-law - No/RIP

Mum - No/No

Stepdad - No/No

Dad - No/ undecided

Stepmum No/undecided

Brother - Yes/Yes

Sister-in-law Yes/Yes

Sister - Yes/Yes

Last time was:

Spoilt - 1

Yes - 5

No - 8

Did not vote - 2

Undecided - 0

Provisional votes for Indyref2:

Spoilt - 0

Yes - 9

No - 2

Will not vote - 3 deceased

Undecided - 2

The only votes for No were from the only two who voted for Brexit.

Archived