How would/ will you vote?

Fide

The vote  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ArabianKnight said:

Just sweep under the carpet of well over 300 years of outright violence, manipulation and what amounts to cultural (and at times proper) genocide by the British state on Scotland eh.

Would love you to justify this but I ken you can't.

What I do know is how Scotland prospered by dint of the union.  Not that I'm especially wedded to it.

29 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That the monarch has to appoint a PM/FM is absolutely here and there and shows a tremendous democratic deficit in Britain.

That the braindead ScotNats fail to grasp this crucial point is to their collective demerit.  They, meanwhile, try and argue that the FM is elected and that we vote for political parties in Westminster.  What a fucking gang.

Quick question - What do you actually get out of this? I mean do you sit there and feel morally superior with all this pedantry?

The original point was the quote of the FM stating she was "elected". As there is actually a vote in Holyrood to nominate who they then put forward as FM, she (NS) wasn't wrong.

How happy would people be to see the Yes campaign do the same as their counterparts as far as bullshit goes? We know they'll get as dirty and lie as much as possible and what worries me is that the SNP might need to match it to get the right result.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm harking back to Higher Modern Studies here (christ, nearly a decade ago) but is it not the case that, to put it simply, by convention, the Queen does as she's telt by the House of Commons, otherwise Parliament has the power to dissolve the monarchy?

I'm half asleep (albeit completely sober) after a long shift so I hope that's coherent.

That'[s a half truth but a decent debating point...and allows me to refer posters to the Glorious Revolution and the 1688 settlement wherein the sovereignty of parliament was espoused.

We should celebrate it with tunes and colourful banners IMO.

How happy would people be to see the Yes campaign do the same as their counterparts as far as bullshit goes? We know they'll get as dirty and lie as much as possible and what worries me is that the SNP might need to match it to get the right result.

I think we've got a much stronger leg to stand on now that we'll not have to resort to that.

Who is likely to lead the No campaign?

Thinking back, although I absolutely love him, having Eck as our main man when it came to the debates etc really was not a good thing. Far too divisive a figure.

Despite some really poor stuff being said about her from ftk and Gincardine on here, Nicola is a much much more likeable and respectable figure to go into these this time around.

12 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm harking back to Higher Modern Studies here (christ, nearly a decade ago) but is it not the case that, to put it simply, by convention, the Queen does as she's telt by the House of Commons, otherwise Parliament has the power to dissolve the monarchy? As in - she could technically refuse to appoint a Prime Minister, but it's a longstanding convention that she would never, eeeeeeever do so?

I'm half asleep (albeit completely sober edit: unfortunately it's going to stay that way, work again tomorrow, bah) after a long shift so I hope that's coherent.

Royal assent's just a formality. It's one of those fossilised things that's still on the statute books but no-one pays real attention to, in much the same manner that it's still illegal to to enter Parliament wearing armour, or indeed allow your pet to copulate with one from the royal household.

In practice, you're hardly getting thrown in the Tower if Tyson the dug gives a corgi the message though.

Incoherent seethe it is, then.
I take it you're new around here?

Who's not so bright now? See if you click on my avatar it tells you when I joined [emoji12]

I think we've got a much stronger leg to stand on now that we'll not have to resort to that.

Who is likely to lead the No campaign?

Thinking back, although I absolutely love him, having Eck as our main man when it came to the debates etc really was not a good thing. Far too divisive a figure.

Despite some really poor stuff being said about her from ftk and Gincardine on here, Nicola is a much much more likeable and respectable figure to go into these this time around.

I think what worries me in this is that a lot of folk just swallow the shite and will continue to do so. You're right about Sturgeon and there is a stronger base as you say, but I can't help being a bit worried about the onslaught which has already started and how effective it could be.

7 minutes ago, Shanghai Loon said:

Quick question - What do you actually get out of this? I mean do you sit there and feel morally superior with all this pedantry?

No pedantry, chap.  I take politics seriously and the words/terms we use matter.  I also am deeply wedded to Scotland and to read that Wee Nicola thought she was elected as FM is disturbing as I'd not have expected such ignorance.  Still, she's clearly in touch with her electorate as this thread amply demonstrates.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

No pedantry, chap.  I take politics seriously and the words/terms we use matter.  I also am deeply wedded to Scotland and to read that Wee Nicola thought she was elected as FM is disturbing as I'd not have expected such ignorance.  Still, she's clearly in touch with her electorate as this thread amply demonstrates.

Why do you always call her Wee Nicola?

Archived