Jimmy Johnstone - Blantyre Celtic

Nugent4nil

I read today in the local press archives that Arthurlie were playing Blantyre Celtic this coming Saturday, 11th October 1980and that Blantyre would have Jimmy Johnstone in their team along with another ex Celtic player, I didnt take a note of his name but it didnt ring any bells, anyway does anyone know if JJ did play for Blantyre and if so how long?

Thanks

Robert

3 hours ago, Larky55 said:

Striker Paul Wilson may have been the other ex Celt in the Blantyre Celtic side.

2 hours ago, larky9 said:

It was Paul Wilson I remember watching the 2 of them when they played against Larkhall Thistle

Thats yer man, bang on! Thanks!

2 hours ago, S.Irvine said:

Was their not another Lisbon lion squad member play for Blantyre around about that time as well, Brogan maybe? For some reason I remember him being a school teacher??

You might be thinking of John Cushley though he was there in 1960.He was a teacher who,if I remember correctly,became a head teacher at St.Ambrose in Coatbridge.

He was a lovely big guy who,sadly,died from the same illness that claimed wee Jinky. :(

Talking about this on Kerrydale street recently.Dunipace traveled to Craighead park for a Central league cup tie in September 1980,at the time you played the west one week then the central league cup the next.Both Wilson and Johnston were on the bench.Wilson came on at halftime,while Johnston was unused with Blantyre running out 2-1 winners.If I remember correctly both players were on a percentage of the gate with attendances in the thousands on a couple of occasions.Johnston didn't last long,though Wilson was still at Blantyre the following season when they travelled through to Denny for a sectional league cup quarterfinal.Wilson hadn't turned 30 when he signed with Blantyre,it was less than two years after he had been a first team regular at Celtic Park.While Johnstons career is well documented,Wilson was a very underrated player.

• 3 months later...

I played for Glenboig against Blantyre Celtic in the SJC around 1980 and Johnstone & Wilson were both playing. We also played Blantyre Vics that year and Wullie McVie booted me up and down for an hour before he went off injured (presumably with a bruised toe).

1 hour ago, Stobart said:

I played for Glenboig against Blantyre Celtic in the SJC around 1980 and Johnstone & Wilson were both playing. We also played Blantyre Vics that year and Wullie McVie booted me up and down for an hour before he went off injured (presumably with a bruised toe).

Didn't St Roch's play a few home games out at Glenboig years ago. Remember getting a lift in car once to a game.

On 13/03/2017 at 23:09, Nugent4nil said:

I read today in the local press archives that Arthurlie were playing Blantyre Celtic this coming Saturday, 11th October 1980and that Blantyre would have Jimmy Johnstone in their team along with another ex Celtic player, I didnt take a note of his name but it didnt ring any bells, anyway does anyone know if JJ did play for Blantyre and if so how long?

Thanks

Robert

I played directly against JJ IN 1960/61 (worst luck) and it was only my second junior game - IE Wishaw juniors v Blantyre celtic 4-2 to Blantyre celtic.what a player he was to say the least he was a bloody handfull.

Archived