Sick days

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think you fucked that up. Patterns are less obvious in general terms. But study individual records and you'll find them. You could predict absence never mind review it.

In saying that, there are lies, damned lies and statistics. 

Eta: I don't take much time off because going to work is easier.

I looked at individuals too. Wasn't hard, it was for around thirty individuals in a call centre. Someone high up got the impression that absence was a problem which quickly became an assertion that absence was a problem, when even a cursory glance at actual shrinkages would have told them otherwise and spending a few days listening in to calls the problem with calls in the queue wasn't down to not having enough bums on seats but the bums that were there weren't trained well enough and either talked too long to customers or our expectation for talk time was too low. As was fairly typical in those early days of call centres, management were a little too quick to blame staff slacking off. Good times. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was item on radio yesterday that claimed presentism with illness is a far bigger issue for employers than absenteeism.

The scum that works in HR that deal with absenteeism, how do they sleep at night? Wishing them a prolonged absence so they can get a taste of their own medicine.

I'm aware of HR department in South Lanarkshire council that were harassing a recovering cancer patient on a fortnightly basis on when she would be back at work. Total cnuts.

I used to phone in sick at the drop of a hat but I've had a couple of warnings and I'm probably quite lucky to still have my job.

The most memorable was a few years ago. CSS were playing a gig in Edinburgh that fancied going to. I also noticed 20 quid Ryanair flights to Bremen. So I finished work at my usual time, got the train to edinburgh, went to the gig, stayed in a hotel overnight, phoned in sick then flew to Germany.  I had a couple of days on the piss in the fatherland  then flew home. 

It was probably a shite thing to do. But it had to be done.

One single day in five years. Called in as thought I had ass cancer following a particularly gory jobby. Went to docs to find out had ruptured a haemorrhoid. Bar that I'm never ill really.

I used to phone in sick at the drop of a hat but I've had a couple of warnings and I'm probably quite lucky to still have my job.
The most memorable was a few years ago. CSS were playing a gig in Edinburgh that fancied going to. I also noticed 20 quid Ryanair flights to Bremen. So I finished work at my usual time, got the train to edinburgh, went to the gig, stayed in a hotel overnight, phoned in sick then flew to Germany.  I had a couple of days on the piss in the fatherland  then flew home. 
It was probably a shite thing to do. But it had to be done.

Great use of a sicky.

I phoned a couple sickies in my last job. A dose of the skoots meant an impromptu week off.

I wouldn't normally do it but I hated the place coupled with the fact that everyone else was at it meant that any loyalty for my colleagues soon disapated and I didn't give a toss.

I wonder if footballers, confident in their place in the team, ever get carded deliberately to pull a sickie. If I'm in a job where someone else has to cover me if I'm off then I'd have to be very ill before pulling one. If the workload just gets shared out with lots of people, or waits till I get back, then however often I can get away with it.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wonder if footballers, confident in their place in the team, ever get carded deliberately to pull a sickie. If I'm in a job where someone else has to cover me if I'm off then I'd have to be very ill before pulling one. If the workload just gets shared out with lots of people, or waits till I get back, then however often I can get away with it.

Yeah pretty much this. I rarely take a sick day but I have taken an emergency holiday if the wee ones been sick and haven't got childcare. Even then I feel guilty about my work being shared. It's only when I return when I realise no c***s touched it and I've wasted my guilt. Same cycle every time. 

I used to work for a well known caterer in Dundee, but fucking hated the job. I'd lined something else up so decided to use up annual leave before leaving.

The middle manager was a self important ginger tosser and true to form, he cancelled my request at 4:45 on the preceding Friday to the hols citing staff shortages.

I went on holiday anyway and phoned in sick. Two weeks off with "hay fever". When I got back the ginger p***k was furious and sacked me on the spot.

Well worth it [emoji38]

One day off sick last year, had a pretty nasty bout of diarrhoea. Came in the next day as I was the manager in charge and proceeded to spend the day locked in the toilet, briefly emerging to give instructions to a few people before returning to the toilet. I then worked one of my day's off the following week to make up for the lost shift as I didn't fancy losing a day's pay.

Had 1 sick day in 4 years with my current employer, and even then I tried going in but literally couldn't get myself out the door. No choice but to work through hangovers/colds/can't be fucked periods over here as they will bag you pronto.

Was regular as clockwork with my Monday clubs and heavy colds when I worked in Scotland. Think I averaged about 10 days a year over the 5 or so years in my last job in Glasgow.

our work dont pay you the first 3 days your off unless you have a docs line (none of this self cert pish, has to be a real line), kinda slowed the absence rate but still get people phoning in for one day every week, pointless as thats nearly a working week every month they arent being paid for

20 hours ago, Ross. said:

Had 1 sick day in 4 years with my current employer, and even then I tried going in but literally couldn't get myself out the door. No choice but to work through hangovers/colds/can't be fucked periods over here as they will bag you pronto.

Was regular as clockwork with my Monday clubs and heavy colds when I worked in Scotland. Think I averaged about 10 days a year over the 5 or so years in my last job in Glasgow.

My attitude to hangovers is you might as well get paid for them instead of wasting a day off, same as illness unless it's really bad. A sicky should be saved for when you feel great or near death.

Until now I've never worked for a company that pays for sick leave, but my current employer gives an allowance of 13 full pay sick days off a year. 

I just checked our roster for the next 2 weeks and one of my workmates has booked one week of sick leave off in 2 weeks time due to getting surgery on his knee. I was stunned by this as any mob I've worked for before I would have had to book holidays off my annual leave or take unpaid days off. Is this normal practice? 

Whatever it is, it's fucking magic.

Until now I've never worked for a company that pays for sick leave, but my current employer gives an allowance of 13 full pay sick days off a year. 
I just checked our roster for the next 2 weeks and one of my workmates has booked one week of sick leave off in 2 weeks time due to getting surgery on his knee. I was stunned by this as any mob I've worked for before I would have had to book holidays off my annual leave or take unpaid days off. Is this normal practice? 
Whatever it is, it's fucking magic.

You'll find any unused sick days will accrue throughout your time with the company. Years ago anyone could cash out accrued sick leave but now it would depend on specific awards or enterprise agreement in place.

23 minutes ago, Eednud said:

You'll find any unused sick days will accrue throughout your time with the company. Years ago anyone could cash out accrued sick leave but now it would depend on specific awards or enterprise agreement in place.

It's the same with annual leave, if you don't use your quota it just rolls onto the next year. Any company I've worked for before it's been use it or lose it.

Its the Australian way[emoji3]. I've been at my current job 15 years, only taken the occasional sickie in that time and have accrued about 9 months. On top of that I've got about 5 weeks annual leave and three months long service leave owing. Basically if I can find a sympathetic quack I can take the next year off on full pay.

We've had a couple of funny ones in our bit - years ago when the sickie process was a bit more lax a guy had used up all that year's annual leave doing one of those 28 day round America tickets - he'd ended up in New York, got friendly with some locals, decided to stay there another week and phoned in sick from Greenwich Village on the Monday he was due back.

There was another wee dipshit who got as far as Central Station - again years ago, pre-mobile phones - and phoned in from a call box. He'd have gotten away with it if wasn't for those pesky tannoy operators announcing a platform change when he was claiming he was still in his bed.

Suffice to say neither of them still work in our place.

Archived