Millennials vs Baby Boomers

Always found this to be a bit of a cringe worthy and non sensical argument, the worst attributes found in 'millennials' were probably applicable to older generations when they were younger in some way shape or form too.

I do, however, think there is a huge problem with instant gratification and sense of entitlement amongst people my age (24). The people in their 40s or 50s who happen to be in well paid jobs and can afford to live a semi-luxurious lifestyle can do so due to decades of experience in a certain profession, which in turn results in them becoming a valuable acquisition for a company who will be willing to pay more for their services. The amount of people that I went into university and school with who are lamenting the lack of jobs available for graduates is quite something considering they really mean someone is not willing to pay them £25K a year.

Social media has a part to play too, some people are desperately insecure so feel the need to show off how well they're doing as if their 'friends' are going to be somewhat impressed.

If your friends are that bothered about your job/financial situation, then they really aren't your friends at all.

Millennials have grown up in one of the worst financial recessions in modern history, have saw the chance to own their own home rapidly diminish, are experiencing the lowest wage growth in, what, 210 years and then they have their parent's generation slagging them off for being entitled and moaning about their expectations in life.

Millennials have grown up in one of the worst financial recessions in modern history, have saw the chance to own their own home rapidly diminish, are experiencing the lowest wage growth in, what, 210 years and then they have their parent's generation slagging them off for being entitled and moaning about their expectations in life.

But due to the technological revolution they arguably have more opportunities than any previous generation.

Every older generation slags the younger one, which makes very little sense since they helped develop them.

Basically, people are c***s. But the fact that you have so much given to you as an automatic makes many young people bigger c***s.

I blame the parents.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I am not with you on this yin...apart from home ownership which is an issue and one I mentioned before.

I can't think of a single thing to slag off the young ones for...apart from distressed jeans.

I am not with you on this yin...apart from home ownership which is an issue and one I mentioned before.
I can't think of a single thing to slag off the young ones for...apart from distressed jeans.

You would lose your shit at the ones I'm wearing then.

19 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I saw a woman today in her 40's with more holes than jeans, as it were. Glad to see the jeans halfway down your arse fad seems to have left the planet.

All these technological advances and yet it seems the only way to effectively apply for a job is by handing out CVs in person.

Apparently having a LinkedIn profile and creating the biggest possible image of a c**t is the best way to get a job nowadays.

Quite a few of my mates have it, and if I ever saw an applicant with that sort of guff written on a page I'd immediately dismiss their credentials. I can see the benefits of having a profile, but the vast majority of people I see on it come across as self important arseholes

On 10/03/2017 at 21:05, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Fully aware of what you're saying about what passes for 'plush' in the SE as well - I lived a year in Oxford with my girlfriend. We got subsidised housing through the uni and it was still about 50% more expensive than the (imo overpriced) flat we're renting up here. If we had rented privately it would have been about double. The mind boggles - I don't understand how people on modest salaries can really build a life down there. My girlfriend worked in the hospital in Oxford and apparently they struggled to employ nurses because they couldn't afford to live in the city.

I do love London - favourite city in the world - and the wider south east of England in general, but the way they dominate the country both economically and politically is so unhealthy.  

I often wonder if there really that many fabulously wealthy people when I look at house prices around here.

I don't think that I have unrealistic expectations (although I suppose everyone thinks that) but as someone from London it does feel like the rug has been pulled from underneath you. My parents paid £75,000 for our family home in 1993, which is 5 minutes from a station and then 25 minutes from central London. Last year their next door neighbours sold their, slightly smaller, house for £390,000.

I don't expect to be able to live somewhere palatial, but it's depressing that where I live in Woolwich (which is an absolute pit), my options on a <£300k budget amounts to ex council tower block flats. I don't object to living somewhere like that in principle, but I'm not going to pay a quarter of a million for the privilege. 

I'm trying to persuade my wife that we should relocate to another city (I'd love to live in Glasgow or Edinburgh tbh), but she's not convinced.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I saw a woman today in her 40's with more holes than jeans, as it were. 

Timing, bud.  I remember buying a pair of holey jeans from Gap for my eldest 6ish years ago when it was fun.  It has now become a parody.

39 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

All these technological advances and yet it seems the only way to effectively apply for a job is by handing out CVs in person.

Last time I was job hunting it seemed like anonymous online approaches were becoming the only way. Face to face is much more effective unless you look like the elephant man and have the personality of a tedi.

2 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Last year their next door neighbours sold their, slightly smaller, house for £390,000.

I don't expect to be able to live somewhere palatial, but it's depressing that where I live in Woolwich (which is an absolute pit), my options on a <£300k budget amounts to ex council tower block flats. I don't object to living somewhere like that in principle, but I'm not going to pay a quarter of a million for the privilege. 

I'm trying to persuade my wife that we should relocate to another city (I'd love to live in Glasgow or Edinburgh tbh), but she's not convinced.

Maybe we should start a new "House pricing in London is shite" thread as I've bought and sold in the capital and lost most of my equity through two messy divorces.

If you want a nice flat/hoose and can sustain a decent-paying job then moving to The Weege is a solid option.  My flat in High Wycombe is small though comfortable and would retail for £300K.  If I moved to Glasgow (as I've considered lately) I could buy a comparable place for £150K and put the rest in to my pension pot...plus walk to Ibrox regularly.

20 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I often wonder if there really that many fabulously wealthy people when I look at house prices around here.

I don't think that I have unrealistic expectations (although I suppose everyone thinks that) but as someone from London it does feel like the rug has been pulled from underneath you. My parents paid £75,000 for our family home in 1993, which is 5 minutes from a station and then 25 minutes from central London. Last year their next door neighbours sold their, slightly smaller, house for £390,000.

I don't get staying in London, especially somewhere like Woolwich, unless you have a job you can't do anywhere else, especially if you can find a job that pays national pay scales. Don't imagine finding a dream home in Glasgow or especially Edinburgh for less than a quarter of a million though.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Maybe we should start a new "House pricing in London is shite" thread as I've bought and sold in the capital and lost most of my equity through two messy divorces.

If you want a nice flat/hoose and can sustain a decent-paying job then moving to The Weege is a solid option.  My flat in High Wycombe is small though comfortable and would retail for £300K.  If I moved to Glasgow (as I've considered lately) I could buy a comparable place for £150K and put the rest in to my pension pot...plus walk to Ibrox regularly.

My recent procrastination tactic is to put various Glasgow locations into rightmove and look wistfully at the listings.

Our current rented flat is quite nice and overlooks the Thames, but is comfortably out of our price range (we could have afforded it about 3 years ago, but Crossrail coming through Woolwich added around £100k to prices). Looking at equivalent flats at Glasgow Harbour, or down by the Clyde near the Hydro, I could afford the deposit and mortgage without even taking into account my wife's salary. 

I'd like to have kids at some point, and that just isn't compatible with buying in London/

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get staying in London, especially somewhere like Woolwich, unless you have a job you can't do anywhere else, especially if you can find a job that pays national pay scales. Don't imagine finding a dream home in Glasgow or especially Edinburgh for less than a quarter of a million though.

I'm from London, so come at it from a different perspective in that my friends and family are from here. In particular as my Dad gets closer to retirement and my Mum having passed away a few years ago, I'd like to be close by if I could be. But yeah, the ludicrous cost of living is making me more and more disillusioned with it. If I was single I think Id have upped sticks and gone somewhere else.

I'd consider a quarter of a million an absolute bargain by the way. For comparison, here is a quarter of a million pound flat in Woolwich:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43022272?search_identifier=98070d0880cc0a9b2522389e43e2431d#1zbPIBbiy2Y7qRKE.97

I'm from London, so come at it from a different perspective in that my friends and family are from here. In particular as my Dad gets closer to retirement and my Mum having passed away a few years ago, I'd like to be close by if I could be.

I'm in a slightly different situation wherein my three will be going to Uni soon so I can 'pick and choose' where I live...and Glasgow is likely a more attractive option than Woolwich plus you get much more for your money.  

Depends so much on your work, though.

I'm from London, so come at it from a different perspective in that my friends and family are from here. In particular as my Dad gets closer to retirement and my Mum having passed away a few years ago, I'd like to be close by if I could be. But yeah, the ludicrous cost of living is making me more and more disillusioned with it. If I was single I think Id have upped sticks and gone somewhere else.

I'd consider a quarter of a million an absolute bargain by the way. For comparison, here is a quarter of a million pound flat in Woolwich:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43022272?search_identifier=98070d0880cc0a9b2522389e43e2431d#1zbPIBbiy2Y7qRKE.97

See what you mean. A friend has just bought this house, I think. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42537905?search_identifier=ddcfb7156124a15e453db26b52efb612#BVUUxUWO76MFmFEW.97

I'm still kicking myself for refusing another friend's offer of a 2 bedroom council flat about 200 yards from Angel Tube Station for £40,000 in late Eighties/early Nighties. Bought an attic flat in Clapton instead, god knows why. Still trebled my capital in 10 years though.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

See what you mean. A friend has just bought this house, I think. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42537905?search_identifier=ddcfb7156124a15e453db26b52efb612#BVUUxUWO76MFmFEW.97

I'm still kicking myself for refusing another friend's offer of a 2 bedroom council flat about 200 yards from Angel Tube Station for £40,000 in late Eighties/early Nighties. Bought an attic flat in Clapton instead, god knows why. Still trebled my capital in 10 years though.

Not sure I should google this...A flat I bought in Shoreditch in nineteencanteen is now being rented out for £1,500 a month and I paid £43,000 for it.  I remember paying about £2,000 to get the tiles laid on the back roof terrace.:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/100-haberdasher-street/london/n1-6ej/41609094