Sign in to follow this  
The Chlamydia Kid

Decent box sets

Dont think anybody has mentioned 24 yet? It's brilliant, action packed, plot twists every episode, would take you till the end of the year to finish it too, an hour per episode, 24 episodes a season and about 7 seasons. Haven't watched the latest 2 seasons though, think its been re-branded?
For more light hearted tv I'd suggest Always Sunny and The Trailer Park boys. Plenty of seasons viewing of both and easy to watch switch your brain off tv that'll make you laugh.
An episode of 24 only lasts about 40 minutes due to the ad breaks which makes it easy to fit in an episode here and there. Nonsense but entertaining (might look a bit dated now). I only watched to about half way through the sixth series and then missed an episode (before we had the facility to catch up) and gave up. Might go back to it but would have to start at the beginning as I can't remember anything about it.

I stuck with 24 all the way through. It should have ended way before it did. It just became too ludicrous and repetitive in the latter seasons, with almost every employee in CTU or the White House doing a heel turn. I forget when it started to nosedive but the early seasons were quality.

Made it to series 4 of 24 and by that point for me it got a bit repetitive and boring. Although to be fair that was binge watching it just last year. Might have been different watching it week by week when it was released. It did look dated but to be fair it is almost 20 years old

On 21/04/2017 at 21:47, Swordfishtrombone said:

I thought the first series of Bosch wasn't great but the 2nd series was excellent. I'm really looking forward to the next series.

I watched the first series a couple of years ago and did enjoy it but never got round to watching any more. Heard this spring that S5 was out so i'm halfway S2 now and got the bug again. 

The UK office series

Every other tv show that gets talked up has a glaring fault, either lasts too long or has a dip partway.

On 16/04/2019 at 18:43, Jupiter Jazz said:

Only things to come close to the Sopranos for me are The Wire, Mad Men and Breaking Bad. 

Yeah there's a big drop off after those 4 unless you include comedy, rate Seinfeld as high as those series'. 

‘The Network’ starring Jeff Bridges was excellent from start to finish, never outstayed its’ welcome, and had a proper beginning, middle, and end.

Similarly, ‘The West Wing’ was consistently good, again, with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

The same cannot be said for something like ‘The 4400’, which started brilliantly, then disappeared up its’ own arse, before being axed. I’ve just finished watching series 1 of ‘Manifest’ - which has pretty much taken the plot of ‘The 4400’ and twisted it a little bit to avoid directly ripping it off. It was very enjoyable, seems that a second series is being made, let’s hope they remember that a middle and an end would be nice. 

It grinds my gears that people go to a lot of trouble to get a show actually made, and it airs, but they forgot to write a coherent beginning, middle, and end.

4 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Seinfeld as high as those series

I have the entire set of Seinfeld but have to say I've watched the first series only once as it was, to be honest, not really funny. That the studios decided to run with it was a miracle, to which we are most grateful. Beside Bilko, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development, it stands up there with the very best US comedies.

12 minutes ago, sfha said:

I have the entire set of Seinfeld but have to say I've watched the first series only once as it was, to be honest, not really funny. That the studios decided to run with it was a miracle, to which we are most grateful. Beside Bilko, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development, it stands up there with the very best US comedies.

It takes off at season 3. Starts getting good at the Chinese restaurant episode season 2. Best comedy ever imo. 

Edited by Boostin' Kev

With everyone stuck in the now, be good to get recommendations. Watching box sets is all most people will be doing for a few weeks🙈

On 28/04/2017 at 12:01, sureiknow said:

Watching the Sporanos box set.

Being old I've recently bought Lost In Space and Land of the Giants. 

Likely Randall and Hopkirk next.

The 1969 one.

Have you watched the new Lost in Space on Netflix.  Season 1 available on DVD.

It has the same main characters - although Doctor Smith is a woman.

Improved CGI obviously.  Very different to the original. 

I'm revisiting The Shield boxset. Into Series 2 now.

Credibility gets a bit stretched at times with the amount of free reign that the Strike Team gets, but it's fucking brilliant viewing.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

I'm revisiting The Shield boxset. Into Series 2 now.

Credibility gets a bit stretched at times with the amount of free reign that the Strike Team gets, but it's fucking brilliant viewing.

If you like the shield, or other police based programs then try Aquarius(David Duchovny) and also The Blacklist. Both are superb!

Blood Drive
Available on sky box sets
Soooooo ridiculous it's brilliant. Only 1 season and 13 episodes