Canada at Easter Road

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

Well indeed, but we have went from poor to very poor since Strachans arrival.  Here's a list of our group finishes in qualifying since we last made it in '98:

Euro 2000 - 2nd

WC 2002 - 3rd

Euro 2004 - 2nd

WC 2006 - 3rd

Euro 2008 - 3rd

WC 2010 - 3rd

Euro 2012 - 3rd

WC 2014 (Strachan arrives) - 4th

Euro 2016 - 4th

WC 2018 - 5th currently

There's quite a clear downward arc over the last 4 years.  We've went from a side who regularly qualified in the nineties, to a side who regularly nearly qualified in the 2000's to a side who doesn't even nearly qualify anymore.

That doesn't really tell the whole story though.  The Euro 2012 group was extremely generous, but Levein made an absolute arse of it.  2014 we were already out when he arrived, weren't we?  He got some pretty good results after that too.  The 2016 group was tougher, but he did f**k that one up too.  

The turning point from poor to very poor wasn't down to Strachan.  It happened way before that.

EDIT: And I'm sure people will jump over that like I'm defending him in some way.  To be clear, we've always been on the fringes of qualifying.  McLeish left after a dreadful result in Georgia made it really tough against Italy.  Then Burley came in and its been pretty much downhill since then.  Levein was where things really started to dip though.  Largely a disaster.  Strachan came in and things improved, but then once again a Georgia game appears to have been a turning point, and since then he's dipped considerably, coinciding with a tough qualifying group for the World Cup.  

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The complete disinterest in last night's game is perhaps not surprising, but a sad indictment of where we are. I've spoken to a few casual (Scottish) football fans at my work about the game and been met with 'I didn't see it, watched a bit of the England game though' a few times.
My work is full of EPL fanboys right enough.

The complete disinterest in last night's game is perhaps not surprising, but a sad indictment of where we are. I've spoken to a few casual (Scottish) football fans at my work about the game and been met with 'I didn't see it, watched a bit of the England game though' a few times.

I have mates that are going on Sunday that didn't even watch it.

Being a Scotland supporter and Scottish I watched last nights match, however I was 100% aware what I was getting myself into. A Scotland fringe team playing a Canada fringe team in a completely pointless and irrelevant match coupled with a terrible pitch and lack of interest from the supporters. We probably shouldn't have been surprised with the dross which was served up.

Having said that, I still expect passion from the players at the very least and I'd also hoped that the players would have been charged with putting on some sort of "show" for the fans but of course nothing could have been further from the truth.

Does anyone actually remember how many attempts at goal we had or how many saves the Canada keepers made ?? Not many that I can remember and that's the real sad indictment of our football at the moment.

The days of blindly following are coming to an end for many (me included) and unless the SFA get their fingers out then I think the SSC memberships will be causing a major dent in the SFA coffers come renewal time.............

3 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

No wonder people aren't interested when Strachan keeps playing the same shite - even for a friendly which, at times like these, should be an opportunity to experiment. If he'd thrown a bunch of new lads in and we'd been marginally beaten by Canada it would still have been better than a dismal draw with out regulars. he's got no ambition whatsoever.

Nothing seismic will happen as long as the TA follow blithely, singing their daft songs and making utter fools of themselves in foreign lands.
They need to get the picture, start booing vehemently, or better still cease attending Scotland fixtures.
The SFA clearly see the foot soldiers as a cash cow, much like Earl Haig saw his foot soldiers as cannon fodder.

Before last night my levels of giving a f**k about the national team were pretty low, but after watching that absolute shambles led by that wee ginger midget, I really could not give a f**k about Sundays game now or the National team until WGS has fucked off.

All about club football anyway.

Nothing seismic will happen as long as the TA follow blithely, singing their daft songs and making utter fools of themselves in foreign lands.
They need to get the picture, start booing vehemently, or better still cease attending Scotland fixtures.
The SFA clearly see the foot soldiers as a cash cow, much like Earl Haig saw his foot soldiers as cannon fodder.

Blaming the supporters. :lol:

It's times like this I'm glad I'm night shift and didn't see any of it.

However, I think one of Scotland's big problems in international football is the completely lackadaisical approach to friendly matches.  Every friendly match should be taken 100% seriously and if players can't get themselves up for it they get bombed out the squad.  When you are playing twice every couple of months you can't just switch on and off when you feel like it.  You need to get momentum, confidence, get supporters on board, get a bit of excitement going and a run of form and then you start going places. 

All too often Scotland amble about during friendlies and that shows something else - a lack of pride.

We don't have great players but discipline and determination can go a long way in football but the SFA, our manager and these players don't seem willing to make that sacrifice for the country.

At the end of the day it was just another typical Scotland home friendly - pretty crap to watch and you get soaked before and after.

Hopefully we can get a result on Sunday and keep some life in the campaign. 

42 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Can we not get Brendan to sort out Scottish football? He's not going to have much to do once Celtic wrap up the league.

Good suggestion - he does show an unusual reluctance to throw Scottish football under the bus for an Old Firm employee.

15 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's times like this I'm glad I'm night shift and didn't see any of it.

However, I think one of Scotland's big problems in international football is the completely lackadaisical approach to friendly matches.  Every friendly match should be taken 100% seriously and if players can't get themselves up for it they get bombed out the squad.  When you are playing twice every couple of months you can't just switch on and off when you feel like it.  You need to get momentum, confidence, get supporters on board, get a bit of excitement going and a run of form and then you start going places. 

All too often Scotland amble about during friendlies and that shows something else - a lack of pride.

We don't have great players but discipline and determination can go a long way in football but the SFA, our manager and these players don't seem willing to make that sacrifice for the country.

I totally agree with this. Good post.

Archived