Canada at Easter Road

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, forameus said:

:lol: True to form, there we have it, Kenny's famous "I can't think of anything else to say to reply, so I'll just throw out a poorly spelled insult".  Classic.

Read your own post.......all I, m saying is.....lol carry on

Just now, forameus said:

Go on then, what was wrong with it?  What part do you disagree with?  Try putting forward a point for a change.

I replied to it. Then you got all girlpants about it like normal then changed your story like normal.

Relax kid it's a forum people do have different opinions no need to get all teary eyed

It'll take more than a win against Slovenia to wipe away the memories of that debacle last night coupled with the previous Strachan debacles. Slovenia have actually looked pretty damned good and considering we were totally outclassed by Lithuania recently, I'm really not holding out much hope for us.

Personally I've lost all faith in Strachan and feel as if we're just going through the motions waiting on him falling on his sword.

Just now, kenny131 said:

I replied to it. Then you got all girlpants about it like normal then changed your story like normal.

Relax kid it's a forum people do have different opinions no need to get all teary eyed

You replied saying I'd changed my opinion.  I hadn't, and explained as much.  Then you reverted to type.  Anything else?

Basically, you managed to misunderstand two very short posts and made an arse of it.  Easy enough to admit, right?

4 minutes ago, forameus said:

You replied saying I'd changed my opinion.  I hadn't, and explained as much.  Then you reverted to type.  Anything else?

Basically, you managed to misunderstand two very short posts and made an arse of it.  Easy enough to admit, right?

You've lost it and now just dribbling pish

What did I learn from last night?

I'll answer this in the way that question should have been answered:

• Gordon Strachan and Mark McGhee simply are not good enough, have no respect among the players and have no motivation. They cannot organise a defence either. No will to create an exciting team
  • We missed a trick not binning them and bringing in Lars Lagerback
  • Lee Wallace is not and never will be an international level player
  • Chris Martin is a huddy, lazy at it
  • Barry Bannan offers absolutely nothing, sideways passes that threaten no one
  • Darren Fletcher while clearly a relatively experienced captain, offers little quality in the middle of the park anymore
  • Oli Burke has potential but has little football brain or tactical knowledge - exactly what Ralf Ragninck said about him
  • Anya and Cairney can walk away with some credit

It was a debacle, a shambles and an embarrassment. The team for Sunday will contain very few of the players last night. Indeed I have changed my team for Sunday based on last night. Snodgrass has dropped out, flatters to decisive too often.

My team for Sunday now would be: Gordon; Martin, Berra, Mulgrew, Robertson; Brown, Cairney; Fraser, Armstrong, Anya; Griffiths.

Anya would have a field day against Struna, who struggled with McGinn and Hayes last week. Let's get the ball wide and run at Slovenia. Last night had so little forward going penetration, it was embarrassing. Last chance saloon already so let's go balls out, be attacking and try to win.

Of course Strachan will pick something more like: Gordon; Anya, Berra, Mulgrew, Tierney; Brown, D Fletcher; Ritchie, Snodgrass, Forrest; S Fletcher.

Don't know if this points been made already, but after hearing WGS moaning about the lack of match sharpness of his players cause they aren't playing for their clubs, I had a wee look at last nights starting XI:

Name - Apps (season) - Last 5 games (sub apps) - Total mins (last 5 games)

McGregor - 13 - 5 - 450 (100%)
Anya - 20 - (2) - 10 (2%)
Berra - 37 - 5 - 450 (100%)
Mulgrew - 23 - 3 - 270 (60%)
Wallace - 26 - 5 - 450 (100%)
Cairney - 37 - 5 - 450 (100%)
Fletcher - 29 - 5 - 441 (98%)
Snodgrass - 27 - 3(2) - 346 (77%)
Naismith - 23 - 3(1) - 297 (66%)
Burke - 19 - 1(3) - 98 (22%)
C Martin - 27 - 2(1) - 188 (42%)

Basically, WGS is talking out his arse. With the exception of Anya, Burke and C Martin, all of the players that started the match last night are playing frequently at their clubs. Given that Anya was apparently one of our better players on the night and Burke is only 19 and playing for the team 2nd in the Bundesliga, the only player Strachan's moan seems to accurately reflect is Chris Martin, a man who should be nowhere near a Scotland starting XI.

Anyone else have a sinking feeling that he is in line to start on Sunday?

Time for Strachan to stop with the made up excuses and accepts that the teams he is putting out are not performing for him.

2 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

You've lost it and now just dribbling pish

:rolleyes: 

Anyway, given I'd rather actually debate points rather than converse with an absolute moron...

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

What did I learn from last night?

I'll answer this in the way that question should have been answered:

• Gordon Strachan and Mark McGhee simply are not good enough, have no respect among the players and have no motivation. They cannot organise a defence either. No will to create an exciting team
  • We missed a trick not binning them and bringing in Lars Lagerback
  • Lee Wallace is not and never will be an international level player
  • Chris Martin is a huddy, lazy at it
  • Barry Bannan offers absolutely nothing, sideways passes that threaten no one
  • Darren Fletcher while clearly a relatively experienced captain, offers little quality in the middle of the park anymore
  • Oli Burke has potential but has little football brain or tactical knowledge - exactly what Ralf Ragninck said about him
  • Anya and Cairney can walk away with some credit

It was a debacle, a shambles and an embarrassment. The team for Sunday will contain very few of the players last night. Indeed I have changed my team for Sunday based on last night. Snodgrass has dropped out, flatters to decisive too often.

My team for Sunday now would be: Gordon; Martin, Berra, Mulgrew, Robertson; Brown, Cairney; Fraser, Armstrong, Anya; Griffiths.

Anya would have a field day against Struna, who struggled with McGinn and Hayes last week. Let's get the ball wide and run at Slovenia. Last night had so little forward going penetration, it was embarrassing. Last chance saloon already so let's go balls out, be attacking and try to win.

Of course Strachan will pick something more like: Gordon; Anya, Berra, Mulgrew, Tierney; Brown, D Fletcher; Ritchie, Snodgrass, Forrest; S Fletcher.

Agree with most points.  Strachan likely isn't good enough anymore, but a lot of the players need to take some blame too.  We've now missed out on Lagerback 3 times, 2 of which he actually offered his services.  I've never rated Bannan.  Fletcher is a shadow of the player he used to be.  Burke is nowhere near ready yet.

The way he's been talking it's like he wants to set us up to go at Slovenia, but then he was saying similar for the Canada game, and that didn't happen.  Only a win will save his job, so I imagine he'll be telling the players to attack.  It's sad, but I just can't imagine it happening with the players we have.  Seem incapable of playing a high-tempo game effectively.  I can see us probably shading the game in terms of stats, but Slovenia taking the chances they get and winning the game.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Strachan will pick something like: Gordon; Anya, Berra, Mulgrew, Tierney; Brown, D Fletcher; Ritchie, Snodgrass, Forrest; S Fletcher.

Maybe I am starting to get jaded... But I am thinking both teams are much of a muchness... And both would likely lose under the current management.

1 minute ago, NewHope said:

Maybe I am starting to get jaded... But I am thinking both teams are much of a muchness... And both would likely lose under the current management.

They probably would lose but I'd rather see some fresh blood in like Armstrong, Fraser and Cairney who will run at Slovenia and play positive passes rather than Fletcher, Ritchie and Snodgrass who will retain possession very well but not threaten or go at Slovenia.

Wee bit of freshness and change.

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

They probably would lose but I'd rather see some fresh blood in like Armstrong, Fraser and Cairney who will run at Slovenia and play positive passes rather than Fletcher, Ritchie and Snodgrass who will retain possession very well but not threaten or go at Slovenia.

Wee bit of freshness and change.

Fair dos. Snodgrass was brilliant for Scotland before his injury. I think the Malta game may have been something of a false resurrection, given he has been blowing out his arse in all the other games since.

I fear he may have lost something as he doesn't strike me as the type of player who would be intentionally lazy or shirk responsibility.

Again, maybe it's the management and everyone is now feeling this deathly malaise as we stumble towards yet another failure.

15 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

To call it recent years is pushing it a bit, we've been in a poor state for 15 years.

Well indeed, but we have went from poor to very poor since Strachans arrival.  Here's a list of our group finishes in qualifying since we last made it in '98:

Euro 2000 - 2nd

WC 2002 - 3rd

Euro 2004 - 2nd

WC 2006 - 3rd

Euro 2008 - 3rd

WC 2010 - 3rd

Euro 2012 - 3rd

WC 2014 (Strachan arrives) - 4th

Euro 2016 - 4th

WC 2018 - 5th currently

There's quite a clear downward arc over the last 4 years.  We've went from a side who regularly qualified in the nineties, to a side who regularly nearly qualified in the 2000's to a side who doesn't even nearly qualify anymore.

1 hour ago, CowdenPhil said:

What you saw last night and in previous Scotland games is the result of bad coaching from youth level upwards for the past 40 years. The is evident in the lack of technique and tactical awareness against a Canada B team.

Football in Scotland is fucked. Run by self interested idiots. Standard of leagues in Scotland is terrible and its all hit and hope. It's going like the Northern Irish league. Only thing that keeps the interest going from overseas is the sectarian Old Firm freakshow. Thanks to them your national side and league is bust.

Scottish club football is doing just fine: It is international football* that is absolutely gubbins. Scottish club football is not reliant on the performances of the national team to justify its purpose; nor do Scottish clubs need to field future Scotland internationals to achieve their own far more important goals.  

Thanks for playing anyway. 

* and your crap outfit in Fife; enjoy the Lowland League.

Archived