Canada at Easter Road

The Championship is a very good league with some ver good players and very big clubs. Nobody in their right mind would think it was comparable to the Bundesliga however.

Any evidence of these claims?

I think what the real answer to this is is that a lot of Scottish folk seem to take umbrage at people saying it's a better level than the Premiership here. Which is completely true and not a dig at our game in any way.

There's a lot of very big, even massive clubs in that league with a lot of money, of course they're able to attract better players than the clubs up here.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's footballing world of total mediocrity, effort still counts for an awful lot and quite frankly our entire team with the exception of Anya looked completely disinterested. As for tactics, shape and game plan, (ha, ha, ha, ha, ha) we of course didn't have any at all. We were a complete shambles from start to finish, Wallace is a joke, Martin is a joke, Mulgrew is a joke, Naismith is clearly past his mediocre best and the rest look as if they couldn't give a toss. A special mention to Snoddy who looked like he was playing with a square ball and for our wonderful defence who didn't make one tackle or even challenge the entire evening.

I'm sorry, but Strachan quite clearly doesn't have a clue and is just screwing with us all now. Enough, is quite enough...............

13 hours ago, TheGoon said:

To whoever it was arguimg with me over the quality of the SPFL earlier. Sit and seriously tell me a team with Shinnie, Clark, Jack, McLean, Walker, Lindsay, Anderson, Gray, McGregor etc would have done ANY WORSE tonight.

I totally agree with this. It would also have been a no lose situation for Strachan. If he plays the above players and Scotland win he is praised for changing things up and playing in form players etc. If it was a draw/loss he can stick the finger up to the press and fans and say that is the reason these players get in the squad.

Playing the team he did yesterday was a no win for him. If they won then it is a game that Scotland should be winning and the way it turned out was always going to draw criticism for a crap performance and using the same no marks that always get a game without every performing to a decent standard or even get a game every week. 

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The Championship is a very good league with some ver good players and very big clubs. Nobody in their right mind would think it was comparable to the Bundesliga however.

Any evidence of these claims?

I think what the real answer to this is is that a lot of Scottish folk seem to take umbrage at people saying it's a better level than the Premiership here. Which is completely true and not a dig at our game in any way.

There's a lot of very big, even massive clubs in that league with a lot of money, of course they're able to attract better players than the clubs up here.

The quality of that league is vastly out of proportion to the finances thrown about by the clubs. It's probably the most overrated league in football.

6 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I totally agree with this. It would also have been a no lose situation for Strachan. If he plays the above players and Scotland win he is praised for changing things up and playing in form players etc. If it was a draw/loss he can stick the finger up to the press and fans and say that is the reason these players get in the squad.

Playing the team he did yesterday was a no win for him. If they won then it is a game that Scotland should be winning and the way it turned out was always going to draw criticism for a crap performance and using the same no marks that always get a game without every performing to a decent standard or even get a game every week. 

Picking players for the squad purely to make a point really worked well for Levein.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

The quality of that league is vastly out of proportion to the finances thrown about by the clubs. It's probably the most overrated league in football.

Pretty much.  There are clubs in there that would beat our best sides 9 times out of 10.  But there's 24 sides in the league, and some of them would probably struggle to beat our lower Premiership sides more often than not.  It can be an exciting league to watch sometimes, but it can also throw up absolute shit.  Just like the Premier League, it's marketed well, so it makes people believe it's better than it is.  That's fair enough, and more a criticism of us because there's no reason why we can't promote ourselves in the same way.

Money helps though.

The whole of English football is like this. Clubs are paying £20 and £30 million for Napoli reserve players and Atletico Madrid reserves, they then talk them up as if they're world beaters and then can't understand when their clubs fail miserably in European competition. The Championship is just following on, Johnny Hayes as an example is valued at around £750k to £1 million up here, however rest assured that if he was playing in the "championship" he'd suddenly be valued as a £5 million + footballer.

Hopefully "armageddon" will visit them all soon.............

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

Picking players for the squad purely to make a point really worked well for Levein.

Pretty much.  There are clubs in there that would beat our best sides 9 times out of 10.  But there's 24 sides in the league, and some of them would probably struggle to beat our lower Premiership sides more often than not.  It can be an exciting league to watch sometimes, but it can also throw up absolute shit.  Just like the Premier League, it's marketed well, so it makes people believe it's better than it is.  That's fair enough, and more a criticism of us because there's no reason why we can't promote ourselves in the same way.

Money helps though.

This pretty much sums it up. Good post.

I got home from my 5 a side game around 2115 and there were already loads of people heading out of the ground with about 20 minutes to go. Says a lot for the standard of the game that folk were leaving that early.

14 minutes ago, forameus said:

It's not just picking players to prove a point though. It is picking the best players in the SPFL as they are on form and playing week in week out and it is players that a lot of fans/media would like to see in the team.

Strachan just has an out if it didn't go well by saying that he has tried something different that the majority of people would like to see.

As it turns out surely it can't have been any worse than what was on offer last night.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

It's not just picking players to prove a point though. It is picking the best players in the SPFL as they are on form and playing week in week out and it is players that a lot of fans/media would like to see in the team.

Strachan just has an out if it didn't go well by saying that he has tried something different that the majority of people would like to see.

As it turns out surely it can't have been any worse than what was on offer last night.

Well you said that he should pick them because if they do well, great, and if they do badly he can make an example of them.  That would be picking them to prove a point, because presumably he doesn't believe they're good enough.  

And it could've been worse, obviously.  We could've lost.

Money helps though.

What clubs would struggle to beat our lower premiership sides??? Load of shite.

Even taking competition money away from it and Rangers/Celtic, Hearts would sit 17th out of 24 attendance wise and Aberdeen 20th out of 24. The rest of the clubs wouldn't even come close to registering.

There is a direct correlation between the money and resources clubs have and the quality of player. Yes fees are inflated but to say teams like Blackburn, Nottingham Forest and Wigan would struggle to beat Inverness, Motherwell, Dundee or Kilmarnock is utter nonsense.

Most of the clubs at the bottom of the Premiership get their players from League 2, some even non league, in England.

47 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Ryan Gauld, Islam Feruz, Jack Harper and Mudtumbo. 

Mubtumbo is way too good for Scotland, we need to give other countries some sort of chance against us. 

If I'm not mistaken Livingston had a midfield of Dorrans, Snodgrass and Hoolahan who are all celebrated players down south but I don't remember them running away with the league up here ?

Make no mistake, the English leagues are all overrated and the money is just obscene. Sticking a £10 million transfer fee on someone doesn't make them a £10 million player in ability and no amount of hype can turn a dumpling in to a decent footballer. It's just that the English have more money and appear quite happy to be ripped off. A global downturn and stockmarket crash is coming and when it does the English will be in for a rude awakening. Think Coventry City multiplied by 30 !!!

It's not exactly a market where clubs from a league like ours will easily find value. That's my point.

Yet most still do their shopping there...

The constant comparison to the English game from people up here is tiresome. England is a massive country in comparison to ours with a lot of massive clubs with a huge amount of money available to them. Throughout all 4 tiers.

Scotland is the opposite, were skint, but we do have a great league for the size of country we are. Why some feel the need to try and constantly undermine the game in England to try and make themselves feel better about the game up here is baffling.

If I'm not mistaken Livingston had a midfield of Dorrans, Snodgrass and Hoolahan who are all celebrated players down south but I don't remember them running away with the league up here ?
Make no mistake, the English leagues are all overrated and the money is just obscene. Sticking a £10 million transfer fee on someone doesn't make them a £10 million player in ability and no amount of hype can turn a dumpling in to a decent footballer. It's just that the English have more money and appear quite happy to be ripped off. A global downturn and stockmarket crash is coming and when it does the English will be in for a rude awakening. Think Coventry City multiplied by 30 !!!

I'm pretty sure if Dorrans/Snodgrass and Hoolahan were playing for Livingston now they would be running away with the league m8. :lol:

All clearly massively improved as football players since. What an idiotic thing to say.

Archived