UEFA TV Blackout

The Scottish cup replay between Hibs and Hearts couldn't be shown as it clashed with the champions league; over 50,000 people watched a Periscope livestream.  Well tonight (8 March 2017) Manchester City will take on Stoke live on Sky Sports.  Not only are Manchester City still very much alive in the competition, where Scotland had no teams left, there are also two live games tonight. (Dortmund v Benfica & Barca v PSG).  

Sometimes you just have to laugh at the way the smaller European nations are treated compared to the  'big leagues'.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Richie said:

Is it not the case that uefa sanction the club, but the FA pay for it for them anyway as the Benefits/TV revenue > fine

Yes. Man City are being fined for the game being on tonight but the FA are covering the costs.

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's unjust that rich countries should be able to pay their way around the rules. Either fine heavily i.e. on a scale equivalent to the nation's TV allocation, or fine them coefficient points.

Or just let everyone televise matches?

I understand why UEFA won't want that as it could diminish viewing figures and with it the value of TV rights / sponsorships...

Remember you're not allowed to schedule games for the midweeks in question either (you can reschedule postponed or cancelled games and cup replays but not televise them). They also allow nothing on CL Final day which is crazy as it's 7:45pm.

Another example of 1 rule for the big boys and like it or lump it to the rest. We seen the same with FFP. 

All the big clubs found the loopholes and it achieved nothing.

Quite something that Hibs V Hearts live would barely steal any Champ lge viewers whilst Man C will steal plenty yet they get away with it 

7 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Another example of 1 rule for the big boys and like it or lump it to the rest. We seen the same with FFP. 

All the big clubs found the loopholes and it achieved nothing.

Quite something that Hibs V Hearts live would barely steal any Champ lge viewers whilst Man C will steal plenty yet they get away with it 

Thats's exactly why SKY will show that match tonight and cover any fine coming the way of the FA. 

All bow to the mighty empire builders of UEFA and their competitions designed to make a handful of ridiculouly wealthy clubs even richer whilst ruining domestic competitions. It's an utter disgrace that this situation exists. 

Have all clubs signed something confirming they agree to this rule? If not, I'm struggling to see how you can fine a football team for playing a match in a different competition on a different channel.

What's the legal basis for this?

If I decide to go for a kickaround this evening, and somebody takes a picture of me, could they be fined?

42 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Have all clubs signed something confirming they agree to this rule? If not, I'm struggling to see how you can fine a football team for playing a match in a different competition on a different channel.

If I decide to go for a kickaround this evening, and somebody takes a picture of me, could they be fined?

Pics or GTF

48 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You could be jailed if there are any animals involved.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I understand why UEFA won't want that as it could diminish viewing figures and with it the value of TV rights / sponsorships...

Remember you're not allowed to schedule games for the midweeks in question either (you can reschedule postponed or cancelled games and cup replays but not televise them). They also allow nothing on CL Final day which is crazy as it's 7:45pm.

The entire current format of the Champions League is diminishing viewing figures. It's fucking boring.

Just now, Tamdunk said:

How long before you get ejected for filming on a mobile at the game?

Pretty sure some Hibs fans were threatened with being ejected last season when they Periscoped the Inverness CT v Hibs replay in the Scottish Cup.

Archived