El Buckfastico

I get where your coming from and today I was frustrated with mistakes he made but I was proud of fact today on how players rolled up their sleeves and got on with in particular Russell. I still find it a joke a fan was shouting he had done nothing he had set up 2 goals at this stage before he scored what I would describe as a wonderful goal. Rohan is very young for a goalkeeper its not his fault there is no experienced back up keeper. I just hope he learns from today and gets a clean sheet on Tuesday.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Diamond Sab said:

Problem is Rohan is not learning .Same mistakes every week .Look at the first 2 goals lost today.

Can't disagree with you. 

For me his strengths are his shot stopping reflexes.  His weaknesses are is he is not vocal enough and could be braver.  You sort one those you have a good keeper you sort both you have a very good goalkeeper.

Said before and genuinely believe John Martin as his coach would work.  The areas Rohan has to improve on most were Martins biggest strengths and Johnny also played young as a goalkeeper.

54 minutes ago, Diamond Sab said:

Problem is Rohan is not learning .Same mistakes every week .Look at the first 2 goals lost today.

Yes well the Rovers twigged Ferguson's weakness after the first half and started pinging crosses to the back post which caused havoc in our defence but Cooper is right it's not Ferguson fault that there is no experienced back up.

Anyway enjoyed the result and the spirit shown today.

Forget quality that was a Great game, everything you'd want in a derby. 

Cant believe people questioning Russell today????

He was the best player on the park for me by quite a distance and his goal was an absolute screamer. Neur couldn't have kept that out. Goal of the season.

McGregor had his best game also, thought he was really good alongside Mensing.

Conroy was good first half and was pulling the strings , not sure if that was down to Rovers sitting in and being 10 yards off pace. Seemed to change when Davidson? came on as he seemed to press and play higher up and made the difference to Rovers. He was good against us in New Year also and was glad when saw he was on bench.

Guy at tunnel at half time was just along from me , he was giving Young pelters and calling for his p45 which I thought was out of order. To be fair he has to watch that long ball garbage every week so maybe he's correct. I'd rather have Boateng than Rovers captain. He along with goalie just seem to kick the ball as high and far as he can. 

Are they always like that? 

2 hours ago, Nipper said:

The reality is that Ferguson at the moment is a liability, he clearly needs a rest from the big team. I'm all in favour of playing young guys if they're good enough and can perform at the level we're at but if we're just going to keep playing out of form players who may or may not have potential then we'll be in this division for years to come.

I agree, but I don't know that we have an alternative to Ferguson.  The other two are surely too young to throw in to the first team, and anyone we could pick up would be a free agent for a reason.  You're 100% right about the the principle, but I'm not sure how the practice works out at this stage of this season.  Hopefully the management realise this isn't a sustainable situation for next season, whatever division we're in.

1 hour ago, Cooper81 said:

Said before and genuinely believe John Martin as his coach would work.  The areas Rohan has to improve on most were Martins biggest strengths and Johnny also played young as a goalkeeper.

Martin was a legendary keeper, but that doesn't mean he'd be a good coach.  They're two different jobs, requiring two different sets of skills (albeit related).  If we want to succeed, we need proven coaches with a track record of success at coaching, which I don't think Martin has.  He did some coaching at Cowdenbeath for a bit, but that must be the best part of ten years ago now, and I don't think he's done any coaching since - happy to be corrected, of course.  That suggests he's either not interested in it, not cut out for it, or both.  
When it comes to football, I'm very much a romantic, but the cult-hero, legendary stuff is better left to the fans and special occasions, not to the running of the club in the here and now, unless there's a very good reason for it.

47 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Never mind that pish. Did Wilson come out an congratulate the fans today on a fantastic late winning roar that surely spurred us onto victory?

No?

Anyone?

He was well away from the fans opposite the stand but I have to say that when the fourth goal went in the Airdrie bench went berserk.

Wilson pointed at the players to go in direction Airdrie fans and applaud them but then made his way up the tunnel. He hasn't helped himself much with comments but I feel little sympathy for him Dalziel ( his mentor) doesn't attend the matches and chairman ( club owner) wasn't at the match.

Have a feeling that Wilson will be heavily enthusiastic towards the fans in the press after this game. He can't be oblivious to the heat he's been getting from the fans after last weekend. Cannae wait to see what he says on dtv. Bridges must be built.

13 hours ago, Cooper81 said:

Iain Russell was superb today. 

Agree, he was Airdrie's best player and provided probably the only bit of quality during the game. What a strike that was and would have been worthy a worthy winner.

Airdrie totally deserved the win and for me out fought us and had more desire than us.

As for Rovers the second half merely papers over the cracks in the team we just have too many passengers in the team.

Well now the adrenaline from yesterday has left my system (because even though we lost yesterday I left the stadium buzzing) it's time to reflect.

I have to agree with some previous Rovers fans who have posted above that there was fight and desire in the second half. The first half was a write off from our point of view. One or two passages of play, Ross Stewart rounding the keeper but his shot being blocked by a defender comes to mind but little else. I saw a Rovers fan say on Twitter that we were unlucky to be behind at half time, I can't say I agreed.

Second half was much more like a local derby, any neutrals who went along would have got their money's worth. Davidson took his goal very well after the keeper arsed up a catch. A minute later he almost scored again from a similar position but his shot rattled off the post, myself and several fans around me were already celebrating before having to sit down quietly [emoji19]
Seconds later Airdrie were back in the lead, I'd have to see it again but it looked like the defence and keeper were badly at fault. The Rovers equaliser came from the penalty spot after Fisher(?) was brought down in the box and Ryan Wallace hammered home his first goal since before Christmas.

It's rare for me to almost applaud an opposition goal but Airdrie's 3rd from Russell was quite simply stunning. If it was Match of the Day they would be showing it over and over again. Just when it looked like another defeat, Wallace nipped in behind the defence and smashed the ball home. Cue some short lived scenes as Airdrie again caught us out seconds later by catching our defence napping. Drama at the final whistle with several players being involved in some shoving which resulted in an Airdrie player being red carded after the whistle. Rovers coach Tony McMinn was among the last to leave the pitch due to him having a furious rant at the officials, he definitely saw something to warrant that kind of reaction, Billy Stark had to return to the pitch to drag him away.

So where to start? We are losing a lot of goals and heads are down. Mick Dunlop looks more and more frustrated every week. Our midfield is practically non existent. Fisher doesn't look like the same player from the first half of the season, Ferry hasn't kicked a ball in weeks. Ross Davidson showed a lot of heart when he came on as a sub in the first half, thought he was probably our best player in the second half, not just because of scoring the first goal.

Some bad looking injuries too with Kyle Turnbull and Ross Stewart both going off before half time and Ryan Wallace hobbling off at full time (although he may have been slightly milking it).

Next week at home to Peterhead is MASSIVE. A midweek game against high flying East Fife which we would be lucky to get a point from and then away to Stenny. 7 points from those 3 has to be the target

24 minutes ago, sam2304 said:

Well now the adrenaline from yesterday has left my system (because even though we lost yesterday I left the stadium buzzing) it's time to reflect.

I have to agree with some previous Rovers fans who have posted above that there was fight and desire in the second half. The first half was a write off from our point of view. One or two passages of play, Ross Stewart rounding the keeper but his shot being blocked by a defender comes to mind but little else. I saw a Rovers fan say on Twitter that we were unlucky to be behind at half time, I can't say I agreed.

Second half was much more like a local derby, any neutrals who went along would have got their money's worth. Davidson took his goal very well after the keeper arsed up a catch. A minute later he almost scored again from a similar position but his shot rattled off the post, myself and several fans around me were already celebrating before having to sit down quietly emoji19.png
Seconds later Airdrie were back in the lead, I'd have to see it again but it looked like the defence and keeper were badly at fault. The Rovers equaliser came from the penalty spot after Fisher(?) was brought down in the box and Ryan Wallace hammered home his first goal since before Christmas.

It's rare for me to almost applaud an opposition goal but Airdrie's 3rd from Russell was quite simply stunning. If it was Match of the Day they would be showing it over and over again. Just when it looked like another defeat, Wallace nipped in behind the defence and smashed the ball home. Cue some short lived scenes as Airdrie again caught us out seconds later by catching our defence napping. Drama at the final whistle with several players being involved in some shoving which resulted in an Airdrie player being red carded after the whistle. Rovers coach Tony McMinn was among the last to leave the pitch due to him having a furious rant at the officials, he definitely saw something to warrant that kind of reaction, Billy Stark had to return to the pitch to drag him away.

So where to start? We are losing a lot of goals and heads are down. Mick Dunlop looks more and more frustrated every week. Our midfield is practically non existent. Fisher doesn't look like the same player from the first half of the season, Ferry hasn't kicked a ball in weeks. Ross Davidson showed a lot of heart when he came on as a sub in the first half, thought he was probably our best player in the second half, not just because of scoring the first goal.

Some bad looking injuries too with Kyle Turnbull and Ross Stewart both going off before half time and Ryan Wallace hobbling off at full time (although he may have been slightly milking it).

Next week at home to Peterhead is MASSIVE. A midweek game against high flying East Fife which we would be lucky to get a point from and then away to Stenny. 7 points from those 3 has to be the target

Let's be fair Rovers got back into that game due to an absolute howler by the keeper who went onto have a nightmare of a second half and still ended up in the winning team.

For me Airdrie showed more desire and willingness from the start to close down. Their first goal there wasn't a Rovers player within 10 yards when Russell crossed it.

The games against Peterhead and Stenny away will be much more significant.

Let's be fair Rovers got back into that game due to an absolute howler by the keeper who went onto have a nightmare of a second half and still ended up in the winning team.

For me Airdrie showed more desire and willingness from the start to close down. Their first goal there wasn't a Rovers player within 10 yards when Russell crossed it.

The games against Peterhead and Stenny away will be much more significant.

I meant to put in my post that Airdrie were by far the more hungry team over the full 90 minutes. They have some real quality in attack and we're always going to cause us problems

1 hour ago, sam2304 said:

I meant to put in my post that Airdrie were by far the more hungry team over the full 90 minutes. They have some real quality in attack and we're always going to cause us problems

In fairness from middle to front everyone performed well. Rovers with the squad they have are doing well couldn't believe fan having a go at Young who for me has and is doing a very good job for the Rovers. They would not be able attract players like Ryan, Russell, Hutton, Conroy as these players are full timers , so for Young it must be very hard finding quality players.

In fairness from middle to front everyone performed well. Rovers with the squad they have are doing well couldn't believe fan having a go at Young who for me has and is doing a very good job for the Rovers. They would not be able attract players like Ryan, Russell, Hutton, Conroy as these players are full timers , so for Young it must be very hard finding quality players.

It's just frustrating as it's basically the same squad which performed so well over the past year and a half, bar one or two additions and a few players leaving. Every team has poor runs and I'm sure we will pick up some wins before the end of the season. The question is will it be more wins than the teams around us?

However I do take your point about Young. It would be madness to think about sacking him. There's a few hot heads at every club always calling for the managers head. Livingston are a prime example.

I don't think airdrie fans should be passing judgement on the opinions of Rovers fans on their manager. We don't pay to watch them every week. None of our business - I am sure they're in a far better position to comment than any of us.

Agreed, let's face it we're 4th and the clamour for Wilson's sacking is growing, Rovers are 9pts lower and in a play off slot.

Great 3 points yesterday. For once the heads didn't go down when we conceded and we showed some fighting spirit that we haven't seen in the last 2 - 3 months. Decent performances throughout the team but I thought Russell (what a goal by the way) and Mensing were our best players on the day although I'm not sure what happened at their 3rd goal as the striker (Wallace?) seemed to run through the middle of our defence to score. Ferguson had another poor game and his form and lack of confidence is a worry for the run in. Another concern is Hutton getting the red card after the final whistle. We can't afford to have important players missing at this stage of the season. 

Another 6 pointer now at Brechin in mid week. 

Archived