Aberdeen v Motherwell, 11/3/17

3 points is the main thing. 9points ahead of 3rd which won't change tomorrow.
Mclean might get a shout for the Scotland squad now docherty is there, probably be a token call up with no actual game time but would be a good reward for playing well.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can understand after last game  mwell were going to sit deep but nae that deep.     time wasting after ten minutes the game.  they got what they deserved,  least there fighting for there shirts. but god they  were brutal.      great 3 points and great the crowd stayed with the team  whole game.  Kenny mclean at this moment is best midfielder in Scotland . never thought say that few months ago. but he has been excellent.  some outstanding performances week in week out.  him and jack work well. bring on hearts next week

My hurried calculations make it seven, which is fewer than I had initially anticipated: Maddison's goal against Rangers in the 90th minute accounting for two extra points, Stockley and Pawlett's goals in the 83rd and 85th minutes respectively against Kilmarnock for three points, and McGinn's today in stoppage time for an additional two. Any other league goals we have scored in the last ten minutes of normal time - and any additional time - have not impacted the points distribution from what it would have been had the game concluded on the 80th minute.

I suppose the Ross County and St Johnstone ones were both in the cups.

We've probably got less from the last ten minutes than The Rangers have thinking about it.

That was painful to endure. After the trashing we gave them last time out. I expected Well to sit deep, but not that deep. Just fucking dire. Time wasting after 10 minute's. Decent crowd in too. Never mind points in the bag, bring on the tarts... 

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

We've probably got less from the last ten minutes than The Rangers have thinking about it.

Only lost 1 point in the last 10 minutes as well which is pretty good going.

feel like Rangers will have dropped more than us.

52 minutes ago, Spectre said:

Only lost 1 point in the last 10 minutes as well which is pretty good going.

feel like Rangers will have dropped more than us.

I make it that Rangers have only conceded two points in the final ten minutes (and additional time) of league games this season: one against us at Pittodrie, and one away at Inverness a couple of weeks ago. So they have dropped more than us, but both teams have relatively strong records in that period of the game. 

2 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Unless I'm missing anything, Rangers have gained nine to our seven: two against St Johnstone at Ibrox last week, two against Dundee at Ibrox in November, two against Motherwell at Ibrox in August, and three against Partick Thistle at Firhill in November. So more, but not by much. 

On 3/9/2017 at 09:26, akredz said:

3 - 1 Dons,   but any win would do.

We'll take the any win will do approach.  Last gasp winner is always welcome.

I see Hamilton got gubbed again. Makes losing to them even more galling.

Very satisfying win.

Never associated Motherwell as being one of the clubs that come to our place and try to $hitfest it, but perhaps understandable.

Thought they defended very well though and found myself wishing McManus was back in there - but the time-wasting was a bit much, which meant us getting a chance to do some messing around at the corner flag during the five minutes of stoppage time being quite enjoyable, due to the level of seeth in players who had been at it for most of the previous 90mins.

Worrying that AFC continue to toil against these tactics though, but again we got the job done and may need the 9pt margin given some tough fixtures coming up.

Kenny McLean has improved immeasurably since the turn of the year - maybe the better for Maddison's departure?

As much as it feels like we are toiling against those sort of tactics we do still seem to win 9 times out of 10. It feels a bit frustrating, and there are games like Hamilton where we don't get the winner, but more so than last season I feel confident in these games that we will get there in the end.

I'm loathed to criticise shitfesting tactics as its exactly what you'd want to see if you were in their shoes. Either way, that's the way teams play us these days. Its useless being a counter-attacking side in 80% of the games we play so we have to find a way to break these teams down. It's where McInnes' natural caution has backfired in the past, with plenty 0-0s, at home in particular. This season however we've seen a change, especially the last few weeks. The substitutions in the second half have seen us go balls to the wall attacking in some cases, leaving one defender at the back and bombing forward. It's almost always worked too, Hamilton aside. 

Cosgrove was discussing whether or not we should be hammering teams, and a caller pointed out each of the many games we've scored over 3 goals in this season. We've definitely improved in that department. Two factors have meant it doesn't feel as good as it should: firstly McInnes took a while to figure out how to use the depth he had, with the tactics tombola in place during the first third of the season. Once he found out that, basically we were a good team last year and the depth could be substitutes, we've really clicked and I  expect 2nd to be comfortably ours. Secondly, Celtic have been unstoppable. We were close last year and it felt great to be involved up until March. This year, there's no way any team in this league could catch them on this form. We've just got to hope that we can smash them in the cup, should the time come. 

Absolute minter for whoever chose McGinn as MOTM over McLean.

Frustrating game, with every ball going high and straight to Motherwell's number 4 (Henneghan?) who played really well along with their whole defence. We finally unlocked them by keeping the ball low.

Archived