Liam Lindsay, Partick Thistle

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

I don't see us letting him go for less than 1M. We'd be stupid if we did.

Potential + level he's playing at + the club he's playing at + age + existing contract terms + the level of club the buying club is at + demand = ?    Not necessarily a million pounds just because he's a good prospect for a much higher level.  How many seven-figure sums have been paid for mid-table Premiership players in the last couple of years? 

Potential + level he's playing at + the club he's playing at + age + existing contract terms + the level of club the buying club is at + demand = ?    Not necessarily a million pounds just because he's a good prospect for a much higher level.  How many seven-figure sums have been paid for mid-table Premiership players in the last couple of years? 

Supply and demand.

We don't have a supply of CBs and the demand is there. Teams are screaming for quality central defenders across Europe and he's only 21 so has 10-12 years to play at top league level.

I'll go one step farther and say Liam should also look at Germany like Burke did. I think his game would do well in The Bundesliga. As a defender though that would probably be a tad early. Once he's Scotland captain that may excite him [emoji6] Scottish players in the past have done well there.

So I do think he should move in "ages and stages". In my opinion he's not ready for regular football in English Premiership for example. English Championship is probably a nice step up for him to play and get regular minutes. All too often players get the 'big' move and it's a level too much and they don't develop farther. They sit on bench when playing as much as possible is required.

The same goes for any young players in Scotland. Progression and smart decision making. Not necessarily just jumping on the money or the big brand club.

Staying at Thistle playing regularly is smart until he and the club feel that correct move is there. There is no rush [emoji4]

14 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Teams are screaming for quality central defenders across Europe and he's only 21 so has 10-12 years to play at top league level.

Part of your post is realistic, some of it tongue in cheek, but putting Lindsay into the bracket of young quality central defenders wanted across Europe is pure hyperbole, let alone the next part.

Stephen Hendrie is the last example of a defender from a non-OF club selling for seven figures.  That was a barking deal to everyone but West Ham.  Andy Robertson for £3m to Hull is probably the only other worthy comparison, but Robertson's impression on Scotland's top flight was much greater and sudden than Lindsay's has been to date. 

You're misreading my post. I don't think now he is wanted all over Europe. I said in time if developed correctly he may well be just like any player in a position that has a big demand due to shortages. We're in a unique position that currently centre back is a lauded spot presently.

Why is it hyperbole to be positive & enthused about a player I get to watch every week that has the tools to develop into a top player over the next 3-5 years.

Outside of Souttar there isn't one young centre back in Scotland of Lindsay's potential and quality.

Robertson only played 30 games or so with DU before heading to Hull City. A risk was taken by them for a substantial fee three times what I quoted for Lindsay and its paid off for them but helped the national team.

I think around the 1m is very realistic in the current climate. We can agree to disagree if you like? [emoji12]

England second tier is probably the comfortable place for him to potentially go when the time is right. But again you can say that for almost all our young or talented players. Not many these days can hit the ground running in the EPL.

Was a bit ropey in a few games towards the start of the season, but has been absolutely excellent in the last 2-3 months. 

Six months ago I'd probably have thought we'd sold for an offer of about £250,000, but now I'd say he's worth at least double that now.

He's incredible in the air, and I've never seen him bullied by a striker. Will be sad to see him go in the summer, and we'll miss his goal threat big time.

27 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Andy Robertson for £3m to Hull is probably the only other worthy comparison, but Robertson's impression on Scotland's top flight was much greater and sudden than Lindsay's has been to date. 

True, but Robertson was a left back, a position where you could argue there are quite a few quality alternatives. There are far less talented young centre halves breaking through, which is in Lindsay's favour.

I wouldn't say Lindsay is a £1M player yet as I haven't seen enough of him against top opponents, but I would think the whole package (instalments/ add ons etc) would need to be up towards that figure, given his age and length of remaining contract.

ETA: was typing and missed RnY's reply about him being a centre back

Was a bit ropey in a few games towards the start of the season, but has been absolutely excellent in the last 2-3 months. 
Six months ago I'd probably have thought we'd sold for an offer of about £250,000, but now I'd say he's worth at least double that now.
He's incredible in the air, and I've never seen him bullied by a striker. Will be sad to see him go in the summer, and we'll miss his goal threat big time.

What's nice is I think for the first time in a long time the club controls a lot of what will happen. Liam is happy and playing every game. He only just signed a new deal with more compensation. He's only improving and whilst I agree the summer is probably when he will leave he doesn't have too. If the club values him north of 500k (I still maintain 1m in current climate should be the approximate fee) then I think it's only about the right fit of club for him. It's a bit like finding the right university when you leave school. Check out everything, tour, meditate on it, get wise counsel and in the end you then jump in with what you feel is right. I don't think he'll have a shortage of suitors. We've heard of 2 or 3 clubs scouting him from England. Summer or sometime in 2018 there is no rush.

The management and board should be applauded for the way the club is now setup for bringing on more players like Lindsay. We have a handful coming on presently and Bannigan another product we rate highly is on his way back from injury. I think he'll come back even better tbh.

Think fans tend to overestimate how much their players will go for. He's been fantastic this season, cutting out many mistakes and scoring a surprising number of goals and he's only 21, but teams down south know a bid of a few hundred thousand will be enough to get them most players from up here. If a team like Leeds comes in for him id guess 4/500k is the most we'll get.

Let's just enjoy him while we've got him (never thought I'd say that for a CB).

There was a slight mistake on Saturday, when he miss controlled a pass, and a Hearts player nipped in to take the ball. Last season, he would have dived in and possibly been sent off. This year? Just caught up with the guy and took the ball back.

If he keeps improving at the same rate as he's done this year, £1m could be possible, (even if it is with add-ons).

One thing to note though - 3 at the back really suits his game at present. Any (rare) mistakes are minimised by having cover, which leads to greater confidence, and better all-round play.

I remember being shouted down 3 years ago when I suggested switching to a back three...

£500k and a shitload of add-ons will do it, I think. Possibly chuck another £100k or so on if he's in the Scotland squad.

Either way, we'll have enough money to give Tomas Cerny a 10-year deal and build a statue for Kris Doolan, which are the really important things here.

14 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

£500k and a shitload of add-ons will do it, I think. Possibly chuck another £100k or so on if he's in the Scotland squad.

Either way, we'll have enough money to give Tomas Cerny a 10-year deal and build a statue for Kris Doolan, which are the really important things here.

We need enough to clone Cerny and Doolan...

May as well just clone Liam as well while we're at it.

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Part of your post is realistic, some of it tongue in cheek, but putting Lindsay into the bracket of young quality central defenders wanted across Europe is pure hyperbole, let alone the next part.

Stephen Hendrie is the last example of a defender from a non-OF club selling for seven figures.  That was a barking deal to everyone but West Ham.  Andy Robertson for £3m to Hull is probably the only other worthy comparison, but Robertson's impression on Scotland's top flight was much greater and sudden than Lindsay's has been to date. 

Stephen Hendrie's fee was more like £250k. Not sure where the million nonsense came from. Still a great deal for a player who had completely lost his early promise. 

He's obviously something to get excited about but I remember slightly milder levels of hype for Taylor - Sinclair and looked how that turned out.

Don't get me wrong Taylor did well for us as did SOD but neither of those had the same potential as this lad.

And after we sell him for a filthy amount who cares if he flops [emoji39]...[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Future Scotland captain [emoji57] so he is!

Archived