Saints and wigtown

Heard from a mate in the know that saints in turmoil with rab cameron quitting on friday after the final then carrot was set to takeover but rab said it was the drink talking but has now officially quit agian with razor to take charge and carrot helping if he is going to accept being a no2. Carrot surly man for the job great leader. And wigtown are wiling to take a heavy fine and point deduction next season so they dont take participation in the lowland league.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard from a mate in the know that saints in turmoil with rab cameron quitting on friday after the final then carrot was set to takeover but rab said it was the drink talking but has now officially quit agian with razor to take charge and carrot helping if he is going to accept being a no2. Carrot surly man for the job great leader. And wigtown are wiling to take a heavy fine and point deduction next season so they dont take participation in the lowland league.

Sad to hear about the problems at Saints! I'm sure Razor or Carrot would do a great job... I know Carrot well though and can't see anyone really doing much of a better job than him up there!

As for Wigtown! It's quite presumptuous to say anything about not playing in the Lowland!

-First of all, we don't actually have a league champion yet... Yeah Wigtown are by far the favourites now but they haven't got the title wrapped up yet!
-Secondly, Wigtown have yet to decide for certain what their intentions are after this season! I believe there is a date that you have to state your intentions by but I don't know what the date is!
-Thirdly, there is no official rules or precedence for rejecting promotion... It's never happened so to say that Wigtown (or any team) who rejected promotion, would receive a "heavy fine and points deduction" is untrue currently! Just this week, I've heard varying lengths of bans from the Scottish Cup and South Regional Challenge Cup, suspension or removal of membership of the SFA or the club license!

I'll try to find out the exact truth of the situation should a team reject promotion but currently there is no proper precedent as the situation has never came about

The prodigy seems to think Wigtown can do what they please with their licence ,by winning the league assuming they do and then  refusing promotion the club are hindering clubs with the ambition to gain entry to the pyramid system and I would think they will get absolutely hammered by the powers that be .,good luck prodigy 

Purpose of gaining a licence was to improve conditions for players and spectators alike. Wigtown have spent  a lot of money doing this.It seems to be wrong that as a consequence of this and having a team good enough to win the League they are being forced to risk the financial future of their club by playing in a league they can not afford to play in.

Get yourself on to the committee of a club Big Stuff and learn the difference between mindless ambition and reality.

The south league provides for decent football for players in the south west and I can not see the sense in risking all this for the pleasure of playing at Preston Athletic for example on a wet Sat in February!

If a club is ambitious enough and has the finances to do so they just have to win the south or east . Easy answer.

Good luck Wigtown.  

I suppose mindless ambition is being a full member club and getting into the Scottish cup and believing some day that you might win it or is the reality that you will just take the money from the sfa and to hell with the consequences

You just don't get it . There is a huge difference between playing in the Scottish cup and playing all season in the Lowland league. Wigtown will know what this area can sustain financially and hopefully are allowed to act accordingly.

The real problem is that Wigtown would very likely not be playing in tier six of the pyramid if it was a complete pyramid including all of the non-league clubs.  It has elevated some of these clubs simply because they were already playing in senior leagues rather than because they are interested in playing at this high a level of the pyramid.

If there was to be talk of stripping them of their licence because they refused promotion then surely Linlithgow and Girvan (and possibly Glasgow Uni) should too as they are remaining in the juniors (not refusing promotion but refusing to be part of the pyramid)?

The prodigy seems to think Wigtown can do what they please with their licence ,by winning the league assuming they do and then  refusing promotion the club are hindering clubs with the ambition to gain entry to the pyramid system and I would think they will get absolutely hammered by the powers that be .,good luck prodigy 

Nah mate that's far from my thoughts... I feel that the entire situation is bullshit for whichever team gets the title! Effectively punishing a club for doing well is never the way to do it...

I also never stated that they would/wouldn't get hammered for it... But as it has never happened in the past, it is impossible to speculate what will happen.

Having had experience as a committee member, I can tell you are completely clueless about footballing finances so I'll quickly tell you this... It looks highly likely that Wigtown would spend something around £25-30k per year on travel, compared to what their current expenditure which will be under £10k per year... Massive difference and with no financial support, how can it be justified? I'd actually say that the SFA could fine Wigtown £10k and it would be a better option (similar problem for Saints here).

Promotion should really be to the west juniors and then on from there. Does anyone in the south west think that would be manageable distance wise?

West Juniors would probably be more manageable from Creetown, Newton & Wigtown than the Lowland would be... The Ayrshire District League would be the best option in that situation!

Not certain if the West Juniors (or the Ayrshire District League) would be keen on the idea though...

Why did rab quit?

Going by the stories it seems Rab had enough of people (coaches) interfering with his management of the team. So he took the decision to walk away. I'm not too convinced on the new management team they have in place now, it could go into free fall at St Mary's!!
I don't know the Raymond Gordon lad but he seems to be a Kirkcudbright boy so that could be good to have someone local in charge. On the other hand I've heard a lot of negative talk about the Craig Fraser lad from Dumfries Chased out of both his previous teams Dumfries YM and Lochar Thistle, I believe for his conduct off the park and not seeing eye to eye with both committee's. Seems vey hyper any time I've seen him on the touchline as well.
Be an interesting couple of months at Kirkcudbright I'd say.

Cmon info and prodigy assuming that you are full member clubs you all had the chance to air your views to the sfa at the agm but no you take the coin, the membership and the licence then you don't want to play ball, so although I have sympathy,but not a lot,you can't have your cake and eat it so suck it up

Archived