Dunfermline Athletic -vs- Dumbarton

Similar singling out of players as SO8. To suggest it was all Thomson and Barrs fault is ludicrous

At no point did I claim it was "their fault". I highlighted their absolutely honking performances as I felt they were even more honking than the rest.

I'll happily single out those who I felt were the worst.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

You really enjoy picking on individuals don't you. To suggest Barr was terrible but Buchanan gets pass marks is ridiculous. We gave Dunfermline a huge amount of space in front of the defence and they passed it about with ease. We didn't stop crosses coming in and when they did we let them have free headers. So to single out players today for having a bad game is nonsense. No one other than Stanton was anywhere near good enough

Absolutely we were atrocious all over the pitch, but week after week Thomson and Barr are poor - and today was no exception. I can deal with guys having off days, that happens, but Thomson and Barr were major weak links yesterday - just as they have been for large chunks of the season. I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing that out.

If you watch the amount of times Barr gets dragged out of position leaving a gap in behind him you'll see why Dunfermline targeted him yesterday. That's not me picking on players that's doing that, that's him making the same mistakes over and over again.

The main issue for me is that they are both undroppable. When they're fit they play. And that's something Stevie has to be prepared to change.

Edit: Having seen the highlights again I stand by my comments, especially on Barr. Don't get me wrong, Buchanan was culpable for a few goals (as was David Smith fwiw) but Barr showed Craig Pettigrew levels of being out of position. What we need from our captain and most experienced players is leadership, management on the pitch if you will. A guy who will organise those around him, Barr simply doesn't appear to be comfortable doing that.

The replacement is an issue. I'm not fully convinced on Lang at CB (although he settled into the St Mirren game eventually), and I'm sure that Ayr fans didn't think McCrorie was that great at centre-half. Sparky would possibly be the best option, but after his actions I don't think we'll see him playing at the weekend. 

Next week I'd like to see starts for McCrorie, SeaGal and Fleming certainly. McCrorie either in for Sparky/Smith or Barr. SeaGal for Thomson and Fleming for Nade (the player who I actually love, sponsor and think is one of our biggest assets, but he's not performing, so Gaz deserves a chance). 

Don't think Dumbarton should be too miserable. Bad day at the office but not sure if Pars did much different to usual. That's a scoreline we could have seen a few times if we'd been able to convert simple chances. We've been crying out for one of the strikers to just step up and deliver instead of being unlucky/having shots saved etc. AJ really seems to know how to tear part time teams apart. I think we've only had one win against the top five (Morton).

8 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

You really enjoy picking on individuals don't you. To suggest Barr was terrible but Buchanan gets pass marks is ridiculous. We gave Dunfermline a huge amount of space in front of the defence and they passed it about with ease. We didn't stop crosses coming in and when they did we let them have free headers. So to single out players today for having a bad game is nonsense. No one other than Stanton was anywhere near good enough

Stop singling out Stanton ;)

Maybe yesterday's result is a case of a Dunfermline team with strong attacking options being on a really good run of form right now and ourselves having a collective off day.  As in the case of St Mirren, perhaps the Pars will be the guys to watch in the last weeks of this season, and I don't think we'll be the only team to struggle against them.

You don't half talk some amount of pish.

You bleat on about not singling out players, then proceed to single out a player. Folk are always going to, quite rightly, single out who they believe had worse games than others. It's been widely accepted the whole team was shite, some worse than others.

The same way that on a good day the better performers will be singled out.

Settle yerself right down.

An extremely poor day at the office. Need to move on now to a big game next week. Reading some of the comments from pars fans....they are saying they have been threatening to turn their chances into goals for a while now....unfortunately for us, they decided to do it against us

Quite clear from the highlights that we defended poorly as a team...both the midfield and defence didn't cover themselves in glory for the majority of the goals, so to pick out individuals is not helpful. This is the same defence that has actually been pretty damage good all season....do the same players not get praise where we defended well?

Let's move on and use this to ensure we get all three points next week

Interesting also to see headbutt gate omitted from the highlights. I think the majority of fans who were there yesterday saw exactly what happened. This plus the bus yesterday shows there's never a dull moment being a Sons fan

I wasn't at the game but I feel confident in saying that we're fucking terrific and will probably win the league next season.

In all seriousness, great finishing from Clark (How's it going Hawk?) and a great result. Can see we still have issues at the back but that's not a problem when we actually take our chances. Important to get another win on Tuesday night against Queens.

What happened with your bus?

Some eejit decided to try and overtake us as two lanes merged down to one..not enough room...clipped the side of the bus...got flipped round so that the bus was actually pushing him along sideways...before flipping him again into a big ditch at the side if the road. No one injured but driver pretty shaken up

Just on Fife side of the kincardine bridge

Some eejit decided to try and overtake us as two lanes merged down to one..not enough room...clipped the side of the bus...got flipped round so that the bus was actually pushing him along sideways...before flipping him again into a big ditch at the side if the road. No one injured but driver pretty shaken up

Just on Fife side of the kincardine bridge

We should have seen it as an omen and asked for game to be postponed [emoji23]

8 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Couldn't defend like that last week naw ya wanks?

We were way too good to defend against on Saturday. You lot should be thankful that we didn't turn up the last time we played your mob, or you'd still be greeting over the pumping yet. 

Quite clear from the highlights that we defended poorly as a team...both the midfield and defence didn't cover themselves in glory for the majority of the goals, so to pick out individuals is not helpful. This is the same defence that has actually been pretty damage good all season....do the same players not get praise where we defended well?

Of course they do.

I always give credit where it's due and criticism where I feel it's due (like 99% of the Sons fans on here). It's a public forum for discussing the match, of course individual performances will be mentioned. Bad or good. It wont adversely affect our chances of survival or do any damage to team moral.

I've actually defended Barr quite a lot, but recently his standards have slipped a bit. Again when Thommo moved out to the wing I thought he was effective, and was vocal in my praise of him, now he's less effective, and with a good player in Gallagher on the bench I'd like to see him brought in. At least to see if he can do a better job than Thommo who, IMO, is one of our weak points.

Of course they do.

I always give credit where it's due and criticism where I feel it's due (like 99% of the Sons fans on here). It's a public forum for discussing the match, of course individual performances will be mentioned. Bad or good. It wont adversely affect our chances of survival or do any damage to team moral.

I've actually defended Barr quite a lot, but recently his standards have slipped a bit. Again when Thommo moved out to the wing I thought he was effective, and was vocal in my praise of him, now he's less effective, and with a good player in Gallagher on the bench I'd like to see him brought in. At least to see if he can do a better job than Thommo who, IMO, is one of our weak points.

Thomson on the wing yesterday made sense as he had a major height advantage over Talbot

I'm guessing aitken doesn't really fancy Gallagher as a player given how little game time he's had

Will be interesting to see if he shuffles his pack after yesterday though

Cal Gallagher is an interesting one. Came on v raith and did well but has been Donald McCallum ever since. Is it that he and Stirling would be similar and in replacing thommo would remove physical element ant keepers out ball in view of size.

is it because we've been doing not too bad,same reason Fleming candy get more game time.

next week we will see on back of yesterday .if in particular nade and Vaughan from my point of view and thommo from others on thread pick up more game time than Gallagher and Fleming then I for one will question this

I'd also gamble mccrorie for Smith

other changes may be required for other reasons 

Watched the highlights earlier and the 1st goal has to go down as a David smith error, he has got to see Clark standing himself in the box, he has to go the the danger or at the very least scream at Barr/Buchanan Who isn't marking him and lost him. 2nd goal, is a good finish but 2 players sucked to the same player leaving the boy all the space in the world to pick his spot. Then it goes from bad to worse. I like Buchanan but seems like he had a bad day at the office, was nowhere near Clark for his goals. Hopefully it was a blip and we can bounce back next week

Archived