Elgin City vs Arbroath

This was a good game to watch as a neutral, but I'm not. Both teams played well. Can't believe that a penalty wasn't given for the foul on Gunn as he was through on goal. Are Arbroath fans upset that the sending off was for a straight red rather than a second yellow? Is there a difference when it comes to suspensions regarding that?  Agree with earlier posts about the ref.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was a good game to watch as a neutral, but I'm not. Both teams played well. Can't believe that a penalty wasn't given for the foul on Gunn as he was through on goal. Are Arbroath fans upset that the sending off was for a straight red rather than a second yellow? Is there a difference when it comes to suspensions regarding that?  Agree with earlier posts about the ref.

I don't think it was any. Little never touched him he pulled out Hodge took him down, also even if that was supposed to have been him that was only his second foul.

Agree about the football though some good stuff played. Even with 10 we looked dangerous and broke well. Some tidy football on show yesterday.

2 minutes ago, gordon9736 said:

Some are upset as they think that it was Hodge that actually caught the player.

It looks to me the way the ball is rolling, Little is just looking to swing a leg at the ball and have a strike at goal. Elgin player gets there ahead of him and Little is committed so can't stop making contact with the player. I don't think I would have complained if a second yellow was shown because it was late and robust. There was no malicious intent so a straight red for violent conduct is farcical. As has been mentioned we should be appealing that because there is surely no way that will be upheld so it might actually be good fortune as if overturned, Little won't have a suspension to serve whereas a 2nd booking certainly would have. His 3rd red card this season so he could be out for a few.

As for the rest of the game, I thought it was a pretty good contest and a good advert for League 2. I thought we looked a little bit fragile at the back in the first half and was shown in Hamilton's booking where the Elgin player was free to run through the middle. Great effort after going down to 10 but I thought Elgin lacked a little composure in the final third, resorting to shots from range rather than trying to work it a bit more.

I'm a big fan of this 4-3-3 ish system we're playing. It's giving Bobby Linn a lot more freedom and he looked really dangerous yesterday but final ball wasn't always there. It's also given McCord a bit more freedom too and that can only be a good thing, he's absolutely class. Denied by a great save and then by some great last ditch defending (I don't think there was a penalty there, but it was definitely a corner).

Outwith the two major flashpoints, the ref wasn't all that bad. The linesman on the terrace side had an absolute stinker, however. Couldn't keep up with play so many of his offside shouts were pure guesswork. Missed a couple of clear corners too.

Watching the highlights back, there's no way that's a red card. Glad we're getting it appealed. Elgin keeper's save from McCords header is top class. One thing I've noticed is we never seem to try and stand the ball up when we cross, surely mixing it up a bit would be better. Always crossed towards the near post.

Hmm, happened very close to where I was standing, and thought at the time he was out of control, yellow at least, so he would have been sent off anyway. How Northcroft, who was right close to the incident needed his linesman to keep him right is more of a talking point.

Hmm, happened very close to where I was standing, and thought at the time he was out of control, yellow at least, so he would have been sent off anyway. How Northcroft, who was right close to the incident needed his linesman to keep him right is more of a talking point.

Were you standing in the middle of the pitch?

Photographs from yesterday's match - https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/sets/72157677649110863

I hope the club do appeal against Ricky's sending off.  It genuinely looked like he was about to strike the ball but pulled out as Hodge went sliding in.   He is a competitive player, but not violent.  The inconsistency across all of Scottish officiating is a joke.  Top flight Scottish Cup and Garner of Rangers escapes with a yellow card after a clear swipe, but Little is shown a straight red?

32425690044_b5c60d5ea9_k.jpg

What was out of control? He didn't actually do anything. Watch the highlights.

Smokies getting in your eyes boys. Were you there? Minimal contact! You could here it at the leisure centre.

Hodge took him down and the player went into little who pulled out of a shot. It was not a tackle or a challenge. Accidental collision.

As for the penalty... red card maybe but he was taken down outside the box.

IMG_1488754983.620174.jpg

You're right, it wasn't a tackle, it was an assault. How many reds has he picked up now?

How can it be an assault when he didn't even put in a challenge? If your away to take a shot, and someone comes in from your blindside and nicks it and you accidentally kick him is that a card? Happens in football all the time. Foul aye but there was no intent, no malice, no attempt to even touch the guy he was attempting to take a shot.

Little didn't even do that here either by the way he pulled his leg away.

4 hours ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Top flight Scottish Cup and Garner of Rangers escapes with a yellow card after a clear swipe, but Little is shown a straight red?

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this, Garner should have walked for that 'tackle'. There was a sending off in the Hibs-Ayr game which was similar to Garner's.

Archived