Ayr Utd vs Raith Rovers

4 hours ago, Rover the Moon said:

No, it won't. Home crowds will stay the same or probably increase with a winning team (assuming we can get a team who knows what a win is).

Relegation would be a boot in the baws but it wouldn't finish the club. Behave yourself.

You are seriously deluded if you think we will be playing in front of larger or even similar crowds if we go down. there is no away fans in league one and the home attendance would drop by a good few hundred. Also the drop in prize money and the fact we have more than half the team on long term contracts doesn't worry you? Don't see how anyone can deny we would be in serious financial trouble if we went down. "boot in the baws" more like a dagger in the heart. 

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are seriously deluded if you think we will be playing in front of larger or even similar crowds if we go down. there is no away fans in league one and the home attendance would drop by a good few hundred. Also the drop in prize money and the fact we have more than half the team on long term contracts doesn't worry you? Don't see how anyone can deny we would be in serious financial trouble if we went down. "boot in the baws" more like a dagger in the heart. 

You do remember us being in that league in 08/09? Off the top of my head, we had a crowd of 5000+ for New Year game v East Fife, 3000+ for other East Fife game, nearly 4000 for Ayr game in March and 4500 on trophy day. Other crowds in run-in were over 2000. How often do we get that these days? Hibs will go up this year and be replaced by someone like Inverness so we'd hardly miss out there.

Yes, prize money would be lower and we'd have guys under contract but it's hardly time to start rattling the collection tins.

Port vale just signed a keeper freed by Falkirk earlier this month.  Raith are at it.  They couldn't sign a keeper of the standard they wanted on terms they wanted so they indulged in a bit of brinksmanship with the SPFL.  Sounds like the SPFL were right to stand their ground.  I'd have been furious if our game had been postponed at the last minute because Raith were getting cute with the rules.

22 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

You do remember us being in that league in 08/09? Off the top of my head, we had a crowd of 5000+ for New Year game v East Fife, 3000+ for other East Fife game, nearly 4000 for Ayr game in March and 4500 on trophy day. Other crowds in run-in were over 2000. How often do we get that these days? Hibs will go up this year and be replaced by someone like Inverness so we'd hardly miss out there.

Yes, prize money would be lower and we'd have guys under contract but it's hardly time to start rattling the collection tins.

Our crowds were pathetic for the second half of last season when we were the best team in a league that contained Rangers and Hibs (by the form book). We couldn't even break 2k home fans for the game vs Rangers, with the team in red hot form.

The crowds you are quoting are from almost ten years ago. Things have changed, we won't see crowds like that again in this league, let alone the league below.

7 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Our crowds were pathetic for the second half of last season when we were the best team in a league that contained Rangers and Hibs (by the form book). We couldn't even break 2k home fans for the game vs Rangers, with the team in red hot form.

The crowds you are quoting are from almost ten years ago. Things have changed, we won't see crowds like that again in this league, let alone the league below.

This

Many of these supporters from 10 years ago have found other/better things to do on a Saturday and lost to the game

3 hours ago, Paco said:

I think the worst thing to come out of this debacle is the amount of people who use the phrase "in nets".

As opposed to pretty much anything any Fifer ever says. Ever.

4 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

I see the SPFL are giving it to Raith both barrels.  Basically saying that it was they had plenty of avenues open to them to get a keeper and chose to seek a postponement instead.  The more you hear about this debacle, the more I think Raith were masters of their own downfall.  

According to our esteemed CEO not the case.They tried to get a keeper before seeking a postponement

http://www.raithrovers.net/raithtv?vid=659

No excuse as Cuthbert was injured early February leaving us one fit keeper Brennan up until Saturday so in affect we,ve had 3 weeks or so to bring in a back up keeper to Brennan but Rovers tried to wing it

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

Port vale just signed a keeper freed by Falkirk earlier this month.  Raith are at it.  They couldn't sign a keeper of the standard they wanted on terms they wanted so they indulged in a bit of brinksmanship with the SPFL.  Sounds like the SPFL were right to stand their ground.  I'd have been furious if our game had been postponed at the last minute because Raith were getting cute with the rules.

Port Vale have signed a keeper (Mehmet) who was freed before the end of January and was a free agent when the window closed.

10 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Point is, there are evidently out of contract keepers available who can be signed outside the transfer window.

Presumably we weren't prepared to pay someone a wage until the end of the season thanks to the amount of dross Locke signed before he left.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

We played games with no strikers, our fault not the oppositions, games should only be postponed for flu outbreaks etc where a fair % of a squad is affected, perhaps 5 or 6 senior players left.

Airdrie were forced to play on at least one occasion where 8 or 9 players were out with flu or something equally debilitating, never lost on at least one of those occasions where everyone was opposing them on coupons.

2 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Like ourselves, it will be a drop well into 6 figures and that's before you factor in the loss of fans long term who can't be arsed with the seaside leagues anymore.

Just look at Morton' crowds at the top of the Championship compared to what they were drawing in the early days of the seaside leagues, those leagues draw the life out of clubs whose fans rightly or wrongly don't feel they belong there.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

I don't believe that Raith will be relegated, but if you are, I believe that part-time football would be unavoidable. Your crowds aren't vastly different to ours, full-time football with crowds of 1000-1200 is not sustainable, short of possibly looking at laying astroturf down at Stark's and hiring it out on evenings to bring in another stream of revenue.

I remember the game in 2008/09 where we played you at Stark's and won 1-0 but shat the bed and you won the league. That tussle at the top of the table brought more fans in the gate than a relagation battle in the Championship would, but you can't bank on a title challenge to keep you afloat financially.

5 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I don't believe that Raith will be relegated, but if you are, I believe that part-time football would be unavoidable. Your crowds aren't vastly different to ours, full-time football with crowds of 1000-1200 is not sustainable, short of possibly looking at laying astroturf down at Stark's and hiring it out on evenings to bring in another stream of revenue.

I remember the game in 2008/09 where we played you at Stark's and won 1-0 but shat the bed and you won the league. That tussle at the top of the table brought more fans in the gate than a relagation battle in the Championship would, but you can't bank on a title challenge to keep you afloat financially.

Raith are similarly sized to us. We didn't go part time when we went down and our crowds absolutely went up. That was of course mainly because we absolutely scooshed the league below, scoring freely and winning the title when there was still snow on the pitch. Much depends on whether they were to look like boucning straight back of course but they could certainly sustain a one year sojourn to League One.

While that was 10 years ago, our home crowds (Rovers fans) are generally around 1200. Can't see that changing much. On occasion it's down to around the 900-1000 mark for midweek games, most recently Morton.

You might see some slightly better crowds again if we start playing well and winning, even if that is in a lower league. You would undoubtedly get large crowds for games with East Fife.

I don't particularly want to see us relegated, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

1 hour ago, Martin Nelson said:

Presumably we weren't prepared to pay someone a wage until the end of the season thanks to the amount of dross Locke signed before he left.

Probably more down to the fact you had to pay off Locke and his staff on top of all the dross he signed.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Raith are similarly sized to us. We didn't go part time when we went down and our crowds absolutely went up. That was of course mainly because we absolutely scooshed the league below, scoring freely and winning the title when there was still snow on the pitch. Much depends on whether they were to look like boucning straight back of course but they could certainly sustain a one year sojourn to League One.

That's true, but you can't bank on having a great season like that. I have no idea about Raith's finances, all I know is that our chairman has told us we would need to double our crowds to break even, and that's with part-time wages rather than full-time.

1 minute ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

That's true, but you can't bank on having a great season like that. I have no idea about Raith's finances, all I know is that our chairman has told us we would need to double our crowds to break even, and that's with part-time wages rather than full-time.

If Ayr go down they would need to double their crowds to break even? Am I reading that right?

Raith, Dumbarton, Ayr and St Mirren any 2 from 4 to go down or in play off. Don't kid yourself Raith could go down.

Archived