A lot of the chants in the MLS are shit and never seem to be offensive in anyway. Toronto fans seem slightly better than the Yanks though.

Probably in a big way due to a lack of away fans, there just isn't that 'needle' between fans that you get in Scotland. But even when they do try and create a little tension, North Americans just don't seem to get it...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2907966/montreal-impact-fans-offended-by-sexist-banner-at-toronto-fc-match/

MLS made a mistake in allowing hipsters to set down the stadium culture. It puts a cap on how many general American sports fans the MLS can attract, even as soccer in general becomes more and more popular. You hear two main reasons as to why sports fans who like soccer ignore the MLS. One is that it's not the top players in the sport. Nothing the MLS can do about that. But issue I hear about the most is that MLS culture is embarrassing or cringe worthy. The European cosplay stuff is bad enough (and MLS had a hand in encouraging all that), but it's even worse that they picked only the lamest and most sanitized version.

23 hours ago, Torpar said:

A lot of the chants in the MLS are shit and never seem to be offensive in anyway. Toronto fans seem slightly better than the Yanks though.

Probably in a big way due to a lack of away fans, there just isn't that 'needle' between fans that you get in Scotland. But even when they do try and create a little tension, North Americans just don't seem to get it...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2907966/montreal-impact-fans-offended-by-sexist-banner-at-toronto-fc-match/

Yep, I also think it's probably mostly the lack of away fans, and time. We'll see what happens with New York clubs 20, 30 years from now.

Also I think it doesn't help that most games are not important. No relegation, winners decided in the playoffs. Rivalries are born in games that matter. If you lose a regular season game, so what. In other US sports, great rivalries were formed in the playoffs, but in a league as balanced, unpredictable and big (and growing) as MLS,  two clubs could meet in the playoffs, have a tense series and not see each other in the playoffs for another 10 or 20 years. 

Also, your post reminded me of this old Toronto clip, from when the club was new. Most "hardcore" supporters just standing outside before the game and chanting how the referee is a w****r. 

But their feelings vs. Montreal were probably much more genuine. 

Edited by Nakamura

16 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Are Sky not showing MLS this season? Watching a stream of DC game and there is no commentary whatsoever emoji16.png

Galaxy vs Dallas was on at 9pm last night, not sure if they are doing as many or what but definitely still have coverage.

Orlando seem to have a proper football stadium......and it's full.

Orlando averaged 31,000 last season in a 55,000 seat stadium. Their new stadium has 26,000 seats so will be full every week - which should help the atmosphere. Won't get to a game this year but will be following closely. Like the additions they've made this season with Barnes, Johnson and Spector.

What country did we steal the drum thing from? It's terrible. I've very, very occasionally attended Pittsburgh Riverhounds games and the drumming from the "supporters section" is incredibly annoying.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 14:58, Eoin said:

What's to decide. It's great. Might have to reassess my view of MLS fans.

23 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Unbelievably cheesy video.

What I don't understand is their plan to break the cycle of poverty by hiring low income youth. Isn't that what every stadium does for concessions? Are they paying them extra than would be normal for the job?