On the subject of Canada rumours that Ottawa Fury are set to fold ruling them out of moving to the CPL for next season. Sports teams in Ottawa are cursed. Don't suppose you know anything more about this @senorsoupe?

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/breaking-ottawa-fury-to-suspend-operations

15 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

On the subject of Canada rumours that Ottawa Fury are set to fold ruling them out of moving to the CPL for next season. Sports teams in Ottawa are cursed. Don't suppose you know anything more about this @senorsoupe?

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/breaking-ottawa-fury-to-suspend-operations

They have a press conference today where we should get more details  as this news dropped seemingly out of the blue last night.  What we do know is that the Fury were losing around $2,000,000 CAD (about 1,200,000 GBP) per year and CONCACAF have been trying to shoehorn them into the CPL so presumably OSEG (the parent company that also owns the Ottawa RedBlacks CFL team and the Ottawa 67's junior hockey team) don't think they can make money if the team was forced into the CPL

image.png.971600327368cc61341c54176929bc36.png

Edited by senorsoupe

Status update: I  just received this email from the club, seemingly blaming the politics, CONCACAF etc...

It’s with a very heavy-heart that I write this. Ottawa Fury FC has notified the United Soccer League, Canada Soccer and our staff, players and coaches that the club has suspended operations. We will not compete in the USL Championship (USL) or any other league in 2020. 

Before going further, on behalf of my partners and the entire Ottawa Sports & Entertainment Group, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your support of Ottawa Fury FC. The support we received from our Fury Family in Ottawa made it possible to operate a professional franchise here for 6 great seasons.

Why would an established team which made the playoffs in the 2019 USL Championship season, had the 2nd best season in its 6-year history, developed a loyal fan base and won a league award for its team and game day operations be suspending operations?  Politics.  Fury’s participation in the USL requires sanctioning from soccer’s governing bodies—Canada Soccer, US Soccer Federation and CONCACAF.  Despite our best efforts over a period of many months, we were unable to obtain full sanctioning and since schedules must be developed, players signed and tickets sold, we simply ran out of time. 

One of the proudest moments of my life was in the spring of 2014 when we established our men’s professional team, Ottawa Fury FC.  I will never forget the first ever game at Carleton, or the opening match at TD Place against the NY Cosmos before 14,000 fans.  An exhibition game against the famous Glasgow Rangers followed soon after. In 2015, coach Marc Dos Santos led our team to its first silverware by winning the NASL Fall Season. We went on to win the Championship semi-final at TD Place against Minnesota before losing to our nemesis, the NY Cosmos in the Championship Final. We have twice defeated MLS opposition at TD Place in the Canadian Championship. Despite our sanctioning troubles in pre-season, in 2019, GM Julian de Guzman and Coach Nikola Popovic put together an attractive attacking team that took us to the playoffs once again.

I am also immensely proud of the contribution that Fury FC has been able to make in the development of Canadian players. In 2018, for example, under the leadership of General Manager and Canadian legend Julian de Guzman, Fury FC had a USL roster that included eighteen Canadians and recorded the most minutes played by Canadian professional players of any professional club in the world.

I’d like to thank all the players, coaches and staff that have come through the Ottawa Fury system, the sponsors who support us, the fans that support us, the media that covers us, and particularly my ownership partners for making it all possible.

It’s been a great ride. Thank you all.

image.png

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It begs the question what were the politics that stopped the 2 bodies from sanctioning them.

Here is the basic story.  The USL is an American sanctioned league while Ottawa is a Canadian team and Canada has our own league (at a lower standard than the USL) so in order for the Ottawa Fury to play in the USL they needed the approval of the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA), the USSF, and CONCACAF.  The CSA gave their OK but the USSF were not approving unless CONCACAF approved, which they aren't doing as they want Ottawa to play in the Canadian Premier League (CPL).   One major factor is that the president of CONCACAF is a former president of the CSA who was a big booster of the CPL and has actively been trying to force the Fury to play in the CPL. 

Don't normally cheer for anything Toronto but will always cheer for the Canadian team over the American team so  Allez TFC!
I love Toronto as a place so do like to see them do well. Even attended a Blizzard game in 1980 with ex Saint Jimmy Bone! The small square of away supporters are slightly out numbered.

1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:
48 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:
Don't normally cheer for anything Toronto but will always cheer for the Canadian team over the American team so  Allez TFC!

I love Toronto as a place so do like to see them do well. Even attended a Blizzard game in 1980 with ex Saint Jimmy Bone! The small square of away supporters are slightly out numbered.

Toronto is alright, but it is inferior to Montreal in pretty much every way lol

Tough on Toronto having to play a far better team at their own midden.
There was only going to be one winner.

Same with the Open cup. The finals should be played a neutral venue.
Exactly. It's beyond belief how they think the current set up is in any way fair.

On 10/11/2019 at 19:16, jimmy boo said:
On 10/11/2019 at 16:14, senorsoupe said:
Toronto is alright, but it is inferior to Montreal in pretty much every way lol

Never been so will take your word for it. Seems a bit too Frenchy for my liking.

Pretty much everyone speaks both English and French there.  The food, nightlife, and culture is fantastic 

57 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has mutually parted ways with LA Galaxy, but has vowed to his fans that 'the story continues'.

Where to next?

back to Italy with Milan  and Bolonga interested in him