Thought I would start a new thread as this year's pre-season is just around the corner.

In particularly the development of North American fitba' including any news on franchises, stadiums and the general growth of 'SOCCER'!

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Happy that MLS has finally updated the "domestic player" rules so that Canadian players will be equal to American players.  Previously Canadians could only be considered "domestic" on the 3 Canadian teams while Americans could be "domestic" on all teams, including the 3 Canadian ones.  There are some caveats to this but it's a step in the right direction.  My fav. team is Montreal, so hoping the Impact can continue to progress from last season's successes.

Toronto FC continue to come up with incredible imaginative names for their teams, following on from the reserve side being Toronto FC II, the academy U20 team are now Toronto FC III. Ticket prices are still a joke, $97 is the cheapest I've seen for the lower tiers, and only one Saturday 3pm game..... Apart from that looking forward to the season :thumsup2

Edited by Torpar

3 hours ago, Torpar said:

Toronto FC continue to come up with incredible imaginative names for their teams, following on from the reserve side being Toronto FC II, the academy U20 team are now Toronto FC III. Ticket prices are still a joke, $97 is the cheapest I've seen for the lower tiers, and only one Saturday 3pm game..... Apart from that looking forward to the season :thumsup2

That's Toronto though, ticket prices are often inflated in that market.  Just ask anyone who wants to go see the Maple Leafs play at the ACC.  I'm up here in Ottawa and our team just went down to the USL due to higher costs in the second tier NASL.  Tickets for NASL fury games were between $30-50 which was hard to swallow for a second tier team playing in a third full stadium.  Apparently they were losing $2,000,000 per year despite the 4th highest attendance in the league

12 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

That's Toronto though, ticket prices are often inflated in that market.  Just ask anyone who wants to go see the Maple Leafs play at the ACC.  I'm up here in Ottawa and our team just went down to the USL due to higher costs in the second tier NASL.  Tickets for NASL fury games were between $30-50 which was hard to swallow for a second tier team playing in a third full stadium.  Apparently they were losing $2,000,000 per year despite the 4th highest attendance in the league

Anything MLSE touches is usually a rip off, apart from the Marlies where you can still get $10 tickets. It's a shame they had to drop down as I'm sure I read they had MLS ambitions at one time. Good that they will still take part in the Canadian Championship though

9 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Anything MLSE touches is usually a rip off, apart from the Marlies where you can still get $10 tickets. It's a shame they had to drop down as I'm sure I read they had MLS ambitions at one time. Good that they will still take part in the Canadian Championship though

The folks with MLS ambitions were a different ownership group.  The MLS bid was led by Eugene Melnyk (owner of the Ottawa Senators) who wanted to get public money to build a stadium in Kanata while the Fury are owned by Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group who also own the Ottawa Redblacks CFL team and Ottawa 67's OHL team, all of whom play out of the Lansdowne Park complex.  The MLS push happened as each group were lobbying for public stadium money, one group to build a soccer specific stadium and the other to rebuild Lansdowne Park

Edited by senorsoupe

The MLS '17 section on historicalkits.co.uk is open, for people wanting to get a good overview of the new kits this semester;

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/MLS/MLS-2017.html

Looking forward to a good year for the Union, and a slightly-less-shitty-than-last-season-year for the Fire (recently reviewed a kit of theirs I got when I was an early teen).

Always start of watching the MLS season then fall away so decided to pick some teams and will try and follow the North American soccer season through. Random number generator has given me FC Dallas in the MLS, San Francisco Deltas in the NASL, San Antonio FC in the USL and the wonderfully named Appalachian State Mountaineers as my NCAA boys. 

Started my journey off last night watching some Periscope action of a pre-season friendly win for San Antonio FC over Minnesota United FC in Florida. 2-0 to the troops. A wonderful result agains MLS new boys!

Mon teams! 

Edited by Christophe

This is from a month ago so I don't know if there's an update, but sheisty activity from Sacramento owners.

http://deadspin.com/sacramentos-mls-bid-possibly-derailed-by-last-second-ow-1791856813

13 hours ago, Christophe said:

Always start of watching the MLS season then fall away so decided to pick some teams and will try and follow the North American soccer season through. Random number generator has given me FC Dallas in the MLS, San Francisco Deltas in the NASL, San Antonio FC in the USL and the wonderfully named Appalachian State Mountaineers as my NCAA boys. 

Started my journey off last night watching some Periscope action of a pre-season friendly win for San Antonio FC over Minnesota United FC in Florida. 2-0 to the troops. A wonderful result agains MLS new boys!

Mon teams! 

If you want to follow MLS, I suppose that's fine. Stay away from the rest unless you have a really good reason.