• 2 weeks later...

Not MLS but the Division II USL. Really enjoyed my night at Orange County on Saturday. Cracking new build stadium, loud, passionate support and it was Gnome night, which meant we left with an OCSC garden gnome.
https://piesontheterraces.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/orange-county-v-san-antonio/

Nice one! I have a few friends in San Antonio and have been following them for a few years, heading over next year and plan on seeing them at Toyota field
Toyota Field looks like a really good ground as well. The San Antonio team didn't really offer much, but I get the impression that a lot of teams blow hot and cold in this league. I was very impressed by everything the teams over here to do engage with fans as well. It was a good experience and I think you'll have a good time when you go

Not strictly MLS but related, it seems some of these guys need realise they aren't in the old country anymore. And reeks of desperation, getting so carried away for a team that's younger than you are.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4340187/toronto-fc-fans-fire-blast-ottawa-fury/

It's also sad that after winning the 'treble' last year, the Canadian Championship is the only thing Toronto have a sniff at winning.

16 year old Alphonso Davies looks set to Sign for Bayern Munich from Vancouver Whitecaps. Wouldn’t surprise me if Bayern ruin his career, I think he should stay at Vancouver for another few seasons seeing as he’s a first team regular and with the talent that he’s already got at such a young age am sure top clubs would still of been knocking at his door at 18/19 years old. Just hope that it doesn’t go downhill for the young lad but best of luck to him. 

Toyota Field looks like a really good ground as well. The San Antonio team didn't really offer much, but I get the impression that a lot of teams blow hot and cold in this league. I was very impressed by everything the teams over here to do engage with fans as well. It was a good experience and I think you'll have a good time when you go
I passed the stadium when i was there two years ago it looks like a great wee ground and they have a decent support, just missed a game 5 years back featuring their previous incarnation the San Antonio Scorpions who played in the NASL.
They do a lot of hard work engaging with the fans, obviously The Spurs are the number one team in town but not everyone in the city is a basketball fan.

22 hours ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

16 year old Alphonso Davies looks set to Sign for Bayern Munich from Vancouver Whitecaps. Wouldn’t surprise me if Bayern ruin his career, I think he should stay at Vancouver for another few seasons seeing as he’s a first team regular and with the talent that he’s already got at such a young age am sure top clubs would still of been knocking at his door at 18/19 years old. Just hope that it doesn’t go downhill for the young lad but best of luck to him. 

He's 17 , has a pretty interesting back story, born to Liberian parents in a refugee camp in Ghana, moved to Canada at 5 and became a citizen last year. It doesn't seem like the best move though, he's currently a regular first team player with Vancouver, seems likely to end up in the youth teams or Bayern Munich II, if not loaned out to other clubs. As Senorsoupe  said in the Bundesliga thread, hopefully it leads to the Canadian national team having a true world class player, and hopefully they discover a few more gems before 2026 

I see Seattle Sounders v New York City is going on I will probably stay up to watch it.  It has been a while since I watched a MLS game.  

I watched a few at the start of the season that and saw these teams a couple of times.  They are decent if I recall correctly.

I can't remember what the standard of refs are like though, seem to recall a few dubious incidents in a couple of games watched previously.  I think MLS has VAR although I may be wrong.

Edited by CaspianChris

6 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

I notice that Perry Kitchen is gracing the same soccer rectangle as Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ashley Cole for LA Galaxy. He was genuinely awful at Hearts. 

Or maybe Hearts management couldn't get the best out of him?

15 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Or maybe Hearts management couldn't get the best out of him?

Admittedly that has been the case for several players in recent times at Hearts but Perry Kitchen was clearly out of his depth. I've never seen a holding midfielder out fought so often. Not once did I see him play switch play more than 10 yards so he's clearly limited.

He was woeful at marking corners too - at fault for 2 goals from corners in one game against St. Johnstone at home. 

He used to shout and point his finger a lot and was in a team of youngsters so donkeyballs Neilson gave him the armband before Cathro binned him - about the only good choice Cathro made.

I've no idea what the standard of the MLS is - I've not seen a match in about 5 years. Just surprised he would get a game at one of the better sides. 

• 2 weeks later...

^absolute pish.

England, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Belgium, Ukraine, Turkey, Russia, Greece and Mexico are all ahead of it.

A handful of former players wanting a payday and a sprinkling of decent internationals are in the MLS and it's improving but it's sitting somewhere along the same levels as Netherlands, Scotland, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Poland and Uruguay.

Wayne Rooney with a fantastic performance tonight bagging 2 goals in a 4-1 win vs Portland. His second a free kick was one of those that you knew he was going to score before he even took it. Just a couple of minutes before he chipped the keeper only for the bar to come to the keepers rescue. I know it’s only the MLS but he really has been excellent since coming over to the US. 

In the Canadian championship Toronto beat the Whitecaps 5-2 (7-4 Agg) with Altidore scoring a hat trick. Toronto will be Canada’s entree in the CONCACAF Champions league for the 3rd year running . Think it’s the biggest margin victory also since it was founded in 2008. Only watched the first 10-15 minutes from the start of each half,  from what I saw Toronto strolled the game after a nervy first 10 minutes and looked comfortable after the break with Altidore getting 2 quick goals.  

Edited by Arbroathlegend36-0

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Where is Rooney playing for DC? Is he sitting deeper or leading the line or somewhere inbetween?

He’s been leading the line but been getting great support from Luciano Acosta who plays just behind him. No doubt he’s been signed by D.C. to bag them as much goals as possible.